If we weren't winning, what would you criticize about Maurice?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
What can i say that hasn't been said?

too much pavy (and his , at the very least public, insistence on judging him under "his" games)

Buff at forward still. Just thinking about how we're doing, and with buff not doing a tonne es 5v5 at forward, i'd really like to see how we'd do with him back at D.

Thorburn.

I really like Frolik on the top line. Mostly i like Wheeler and Schiefele together. And with Ladd and Little having always taken the "harder" minutes, i like Frolik with them as opposed to our other options.

Not sure how i feel about keeping Kane back on the third line with buff, but that's a new development and i imagine TOI will be pretty even between the three lines.

Mostly, just thinking about how this teams performed i'd really like to see how they did with Enstrom Buff combo.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think of it as the shutdown line, more so than a #1.

Ice time splits have been pretty even of late.

Same here. It seems like we're doing our best to run three "second lines." If 2/3 can win their matchup we can win. If only 1/3 win, it's on the 4th line to be the difference.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Really, I like Buff at forward if only for the lack of D zone issues since the change.

Our 3rd and 4th line, bottom defensive pairing are still getting dominated under Maurice. Hopefully we don't find out very soon that the results we're getting in terms of the scoreboard are mostly luck.

IMO, Byfuglien on that 3rd D pair would be able to turn being dominated by other teams 3rd and 4th lines around. Byfuglien as a forward is basically doing nothing for us, our 3rd line is no better with him. Byfuglien instead of Pardy/Ellerby is a significant difference on the 3rd D pair, he'd play similar minutes with less skating.

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
If we were losing, I'd be complaining about disciple. Oli and Seto in general. James Wright lack of offense. Where's Halischuk and Peluso?

It's a tough thing to nail down cus I don't know how we'd be losing.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Wouldn't move Buff back on D. I appreciate him on the PP and 4 v 4, but I think that whoever he is playing with is essentially thrown to the wolves when he can't keep up with the play.

Don't have much to complain about personally, though!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wouldn't move Buff back on D. I appreciate him on the PP and 4 v 4, but I think that whoever he is playing with is essentially thrown to the wolves when he can't keep up with the play.

Don't have much to complain about personally, though!

OK that avatar is gold!! I assume that is from the outdoor practice and the body language on the two buddies is so different and if they had the pop up bubble over their heads Trouba's would say "It's never this bloody cold in Michigan" and Bogo's would say "well I bear hunt naked in colder weather than this so suck it up kid".

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
OK that avatar is gold!! I assume that is from the outdoor practice and the body language on the two buddies is so different and if they had the pop up bubble over their heads Trouba's would say "It's never this bloody cold in Michigan" and Bogo's would say "well I bear hunt naked in colder weather than this so suck it up kid".

Haha yep, essentially! Larger size:

JLgtHIq.jpg

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
So, kind of like his games at D? :D

It's not where Byfuglien is being played that is the problem, it's his very game and approach to it. At LEAST when he has a casual, do not care kind of game at forward he just doesn't create much. When he has one of those games at D well we all know what happens.

Everyone knows how I feel about Byfuglien. As a hard working guy on the ice myself who never had the highest skill level it really rubs me the wrong way when I see people with an incredible gift of size and ability piss it away with lack of effort.

That is what it comes down to with Buff. Lack of effort at times. On the 3rd line he is stripped of any real responsibility and the damage he can do to the team is limited. Of course, it also limits his ability to be dynamic.

I think the org. has made it clear that Dustin won't be on this team next season by his usage these past couple of months.

To answer the OP, I would agree about Pavelec. Something is happening behind the scenes we don't know about. We have talked about that ad nauseum so I won't elaborate.

I wouldn't use Stu as much as Maurice is but he seems to be getting the most out of him. I would split up Pardy and Ellerby, pairing Ellerby with Trouba and in my world I'd rotate the 4 of Stu/ Pardy/ Redmond/ and Postma in and out of that 4th pair depending on opponent and player performance.

I would give Ellerby an honest chance to develop some chemistry with Trouba. He is not as tenacious as Stuart, and might not block as many shots, but he has shown that he can be physical and he is a much better puck mover.

I don't think that's a good idea. Even though theres a chance it could work (Ellerby with Dmitry Kulikov a few years ago when both were basically rookies) theres also a chance it wont (Ellerby with Jake Muzzin last year) I understand Trouba is a different player than Kuli and Muzz. and Ellerby has improved since playing with them.

If youre gonna try it, try it. But be aware that (like with anything) it could come back and bite you. Honestly if both are with winnipeg next year i would try it.

As it stands we are trying to gain a playoff spot. Ellerby is good with Pardy and Trouba is good with Stu. So why split up those pairs on an experiment when wins are a must and good chemistry is important.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The Jets have allowed 40+ shots on goal 5 times this season - 3 have come under PoMo.

5 of their 10 worst games in Corsi prevention came under PoMo too.

I am a little nervous.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets have allowed 40+ shots on goal 5 times this season - 3 have come under PoMo.

I am a little nervous.

Kind of what I was worried about with the "interim" coach. We'd get a boost in the win column which makes the interim guy look great (which is typical after a coaching change), but not really improve, then hand the team over to that coach without looking around and giving the job to the best person available.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I am a little nervous.

2 of those games were against the top 2 possession teams. It happens.

Puck possession with Noel has still trended above Maurice.

The fact that the possession is improved with Maurice not optimizing his roster speaks volumes to a better system (relatively speaking).

bazaaa*

Kind of what I was worried about with the "interim" coach. We'd get a boost in the win column which makes the interim guy look great (which is typical after a coaching change), but not really improve, then hand the team over to that coach without looking around and giving the job to the best person available.

Agree. Not the best time to get a new coach with so little games in the season. Could be worse I guess. But if you ride the new coach 'high', you give him a nice big deal, get tunnel vision and don't even talk to other coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad