If we weren't winning, what would you criticize about Maurice?

bazaaa*

Of course we're winning so it's hard to question his decisions, but if we were just doing 'okay', how many would be calling for his head for playing Pavs so much? He's playing him more than Noel did. I'm a Pavs supporter and even I think it's too much.

Or Frolik on the first line? I think that's as poor as decision as putting Thorburn on the second line.

I remember when we signed him, Carolina fans were saying how bad of a coach he was. And wish us winnipeg, we don't feel that way, yet. But if we weren't winning, I could see some really upset fans at some of the decisions.

But I think putting a system in place, and the confidence he brings overpowers any of the poor decisions he's made so far.

Anything else you don't like that you've seen so far?

Good
Commands respect. Can tell he doesn't deal with BS.
Confidence.
System in place.
Accountability, I think directly tied to the defence.
Buff staying at forward.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Buff at forward, don't like it. I understand the rationale behind it, but I don't agree with it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Loved that he made these comments when Kane was coming back into the lineup following the Oly break: we expect all of our players to fly in formation and to make the right decision as the play develops. Hint, hint Evander don't selfishly shoot from the boards just inside the blue line and look over to your linemates once in awhile while their in position to score, YES Evander hockey is a team sport!:sarcasm:

Still think LLW, Schief-Kane- (Buff)? is the way to go on the top 2 lines

Would split up Ellerby-Pardy

bazaaa*

Buff at forward, don't like it. I understand the rationale behind it, but I don't agree with it.

What would you do with Buff? Keep him D? Or try and move him?
I like Buff as a player(skill and offensive smarts). Don't like him on defense, though I like him on PP. I think he has a lot more to give as a forward and we haven't seen it yet.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
What would you do with Buff? Keep him D? Or try and move him?
I like Buff as a player(skill and offensive smarts). Don't like him on defense, though I like him on PP. I think he has a lot more to give as a forward and we haven't seen it yet.

I would keep him on D, pair him with Ellerby. Limit his minutes at even strength, feed him minutes on the PP.

I've liked some of Buff's games at forward, there have been others where he's left a lot to be desired. That third line hasn't been good defensively as a whole.

Re: moving him, I wouldn't be looking to do that until the offseason.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IMO:

Riding one goalie too much. I prefer some more spread when you have two very unproven goalies.

Buff as forward. Our forwards would probably suffer a bit but I'd bet Buff taking Pardy's ES minutes and still on main PP would make Buff dominate soft minutes and probably up his trade value.

I'm hit or miss on the Thorburn thing. I understand you don't want to kill some lines chemistry but I found that (although short samples) some stop gaps seemed more effective (or at the very least, less damning) than Thor being boosted up.

I like:
I have tracked some zone entries and exits, and thus far the team seems much more effective which has led to better possession numbers.
The Ladd-Little-Frolik line tends to get less 5v5 time than the Scheif line and on top of it Frolik doesn't get much PP time so I'm fine with Frolik being used as he has been.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
After being frustrated as heck watching this team not be able to play any kind of defense for over 2 seasons with Noel, I will not complain about minor things that Maurice could do better. Just seeing the change after a few weeks, makes me realize what a waste the last 2+ seasons under Noel have been. Maurice has made more improvement in 2+ weeks than Noel did in 2+ years.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would keep him on D, pair him with Ellerby. Limit his minutes at even strength, feed him minutes on the PP.

I've liked some of Buff's games at forward, there have been others where he's left a lot to be desired. That third line hasn't been good defensively as a whole.

Re: moving him, I wouldn't be looking to do that until the offseason.

So, kind of like his games at D? :D

It's not where Byfuglien is being played that is the problem, it's his very game and approach to it. At LEAST when he has a casual, do not care kind of game at forward he just doesn't create much. When he has one of those games at D well we all know what happens.

Everyone knows how I feel about Byfuglien. As a hard working guy on the ice myself who never had the highest skill level it really rubs me the wrong way when I see people with an incredible gift of size and ability piss it away with lack of effort.

That is what it comes down to with Buff. Lack of effort at times. On the 3rd line he is stripped of any real responsibility and the damage he can do to the team is limited. Of course, it also limits his ability to be dynamic.

I think the org. has made it clear that Dustin won't be on this team next season by his usage these past couple of months.

To answer the OP, I would agree about Pavelec. Something is happening behind the scenes we don't know about. We have talked about that ad nauseum so I won't elaborate.

I wouldn't use Stu as much as Maurice is but he seems to be getting the most out of him. I would split up Pardy and Ellerby, pairing Ellerby with Trouba and in my world I'd rotate the 4 of Stu/ Pardy/ Redmond/ and Postma in and out of that 4th pair depending on opponent and player performance.

I would give Ellerby an honest chance to develop some chemistry with Trouba. He is not as tenacious as Stuart, and might not block as many shots, but he has shown that he can be physical and he is a much better puck mover.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not much to complain about. I'm in the prefer Buff at forward 5-5 and D on PP crowd so no complaints there. I'm also okay playing Stuart with Trouba. Out of our available options Stuart is able to give the defensive support Trouba needs to be offensively creative. Sure his puck moving skills are limited, but Trouba has them in spades. I think pairing Ellerby with Trouba you would get the odd "big event" turn against us.

I'd like to see Scheifele get more PP time, and maybe equal out the playing time for Pavs and Monty. Also, I'd really like Kane to find a permanent home and I'd try as much possible to make it work with Scheifele.

But overall, in early January I didn't think it was humanly possible for this team to go on an 11-3-1 and have us tied for 8th at the trade deadline. So coach Mo gets a free pass from me.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Obviously we can't tell, but what would our record be if Buff had played every game under Mo as a defenseman? Better or worse?

I like having Buff as a forward and still being a D-man on the PP. Just me, but Buff IMO has some defensive liabilities that can be exploited when he's playing defense. Maybe he puts up better offensive numbers playing defense, but I also think he hurts the team more being back.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Not much beyond an under utilization of Montoya.

If the team were still sucking, it would be obvious that the problem is the players not the coaching; I think I'd be directing my comments in that direction.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I have a handful of things I would question starting with:
Buff at forward
Everything Thorburn
Too much Pav

...but he gets a pass from me because no coach with shake things up too much when they are winning.

As for why the team is winning:
Since PoMo the #NHLJets have a 10.4% shooting percentage and a 92.8% save percentage.

League leading marks this season 10.9% and 92.4%.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nothing at this point because of the results. The challenge with the OP idea of "if we weren't winning" is that Paul probably would have made adjustments that might have encapsulated some of the suggestions above so it makes it tough to dam him for sticking with a successful plan. When you are winning I think the end justifies the means.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Nothing at this point because of the results. The challenge with the OP idea of "if we weren't winning" is that Paul probably would have made adjustments that might have encapsulated some of the suggestions above so it makes it tough to dam him for sticking with a successful plan. When you are winning I think the end justifies the means.
Always wise to leave bullets in the gun and next expend them before the firefight.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Buff, IMO, should be on D pair 3 AND the third line, with the preference of him as a FWD when these things overlap. He's better back there than anyone else on the third line, and not getting enough ice on the third line. This is my only criticism (as a not-nearly-as-informed mind as the coach) of the coach.

He might actually be toying with this idea, but waiting to have a full handle on this group before initiating it.

seasontixholder*

After being frustrated as heck watching this team not be able to play any kind of defense for over 2 seasons with Noel, I will not complain about minor things that Maurice could do better. Just seeing the change after a few weeks, makes me realize what a waste the last 2+ seasons under Noel have been. Maurice has made more improvement in 2+ weeks than Noel did in 2+ years.

Bang on! When I was going to Moose games I wasn't a fan of Noel then. He had no real game plan. He is a good AHL coach but not at the NHL level.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
He gets a long leash for now but here are the things I'd nitpick on, similar to many other posters:
- Buff at forward. I would play him as 3rd pairing D if we can't move someone to their offside, and would allow him some minutes on the 4th line if needed (assuming 3rd pair and PP time is too low in a game)
- Thorburn
- Not giving Monty more starts when he was the hot one prior to the break
- General unwillingness to shake things up. I understand unwillingness to change things when they are going well, but some times they should be obviously changed (i.e. Thorburn)

But again, we're only about 15 games in his tenure, and his results so far are phenomenal, if unsustainable, so it's pretty hard to bring any of this up.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about

When I heard Maurice speak he clearly stated that "Winning" is not enough to make him happy. To get better you have to keep finding mistakes, and fixing them, win or lose, as that is the best way to KEEP winning.

"Nobody changes a winning lineup. Well I do." was the quote that stuck with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00