if we struggle this year

• Thread starter toughfighter83*
  • Start date

toughfighter83*

if we struggle this year with the scoring and defense, i think this team needs another coach, you can say the we got to the finals in 2010 was a fluke because the teams we played were good matchups for us, last couple of years, those teams are better than us, plus his stanley cup run was a fluke with carolina because of the lockout and the teams they played were good match ups for them, it's the same with the flyers accept we didnt win a cup.

this team needs a new direction, they need a coach that can do the trap, that's what great teams are doing now, it doesnt matter how many great players on this team if they cant score and struggle on defense, this team needs a coach that has the same philosophy of what most Stanley cup winning are doing to win cups which is the trap.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
As ever, what this team needs most is a goaltender.

Lavi has made some tactical errors in the past couple of years, particularly in line matching during playoffs vs Boston and New Jersey and I think his act can wear thin on players, but I don't think he's the first place to look.

Evergreen

What makes you think we might have difficulty scoring? We were second in the league in scoring last year.

I have no problems with Laviolette as our coach. He's not on a short leash. We've made the playoffs every year under his tenure and we've won several rounds as well, even reaching the finals with a waiver pickup in net. Laviolette can't fill the holes we have from losing Pronger and signing a lunatic for a goalie.

I see no reason to fire Laviolette even if we do indeed struggle this year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
One thing is you can never discredit is a champion. It wasn't a fluke when your team wins 16 games to capture the most prized sport in the world. Maybe one or two games they were fluke wins, but come on, you can not be serious(also that is the longest sentence I have ever read lol. Yours not mine).

You are proposing the Flyers need a new coach and direction when they have not played a single game on the new year. Seems logical that you already marked us down to lose and struggle. All last year you complained we needed a new coach also. They just signed lavy to a new deal, so your wish isn't going to happen unless the teams starts out absolutely miserably. Judging from the last few years playing under Lavy, this team has the ability to get to the playoffs and won't struggle to make the playoffs.

Instead of putting everything on the coach, we also should put some responsibility on the players, Briere and other need to be more aware defensively. Every year we always think the team will struggle with scoring, yet they always come out and are in the top 10.

OH YEA, BRYZ

Last edited:

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
The Richards Carter trades coupled with the Pronger injury has lengthened Lavi's leash considerably, I'd imagine. In fact, I expect that he has outperformed expectations (middle seeding+playoff round win last season) with his squad since those occurenences - even before factoring in Bryz's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide routine last season.

Long story short, Lavi is this team's coach for the foreseeable future unless the team completely tanks (which could be said about most coaches in the league).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Richards Carter trades coupled with the Pronger injury has lengthened Lavi's leash considerably, I'd imagine. In fact, I expect that he has outperformed expectations (middle seeding+playoff round win last season) with his squad since those occurenences - even before factoring in Bryz's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide routine last season.

Long story short, Lavi is this team's coach for the foreseeable future unless the team completely tanks (which could be said about most coaches in the league).

I second that. They definitely did better than I expected last year after those massive changes, and I know I'm not alone.

Edit @ TF83: Oh, and you know what doesn't happen as a fluke? Winning a Cup and then coming within one game of doing it again a few years later. Lavi is a good coach, and I have to question why you're trying to set him up as a scapegoat before a single game is played.

He has his flaws, but it's not his fault he can't rub his hands together and magically heal a battered roster.

Last edited:

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
if we struggle this year with the scoring and defense, i think this team needs another coach, you can say the we got to the finals in 2010 was a fluke because the teams we played were good matchups for us, last couple of years, those teams are better than us, plus his stanley cup run was a fluke with carolina because of the lockout and the teams they played were good match ups for them, it's the same with the flyers accept we didnt win a cup.

this team needs a new direction, they need a coach that can do the trap, that's what great teams are doing now, it doesnt matter how many great players on this team if they cant score and struggle on defense, this team needs a coach that has the same philosophy of what most Stanley cup winning are doing to win cups which is the trap.

So, everything that has happened is a fluke and all the unknowns are reality?

Tell me more...:shakehead

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Laviollete is a really good coach. As other has said he has made some mistakes. Every coach makes mistakes. We all love to play "Monday Morning Quarterback" when it comes to disecting what Lavi needs to do or what he has done that has been wrong.
He got us to within ONE GAME of game 7 of the Cup Final with Leighton and Boucher as our goalies for God sakes. I also believe there isnt another other coach who could of got more out of his team that what Laviollete did last year.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Laviollete is a really good coach. As other has said he has made some mistakes. Every coach makes mistakes. We all love to play "Monday Morning Quarterback" when it comes to disecting what Lavi needs to do or what he has done that has been wrong.
He got us to within ONE GAME of game 7 of the Cup Final with Leighton and Boucher as our goalies for God sakes. I also believe there isnt another other coach who could of got more out of his team that what Laviollete did last year.

I agree, and like Lavi a lot. He is calm and collected when he needs to (Boston, Game 7, "One goal"), but he will also punch you right in your freaking head (Leino) if he is pumped up. How can you not like him?

toughfighter83*

One thing is you can never discredit is a champion. It wasn't a fluke when your team wins 16 games to capture the most prized sport in the world. Maybe one or two games they were fluke wins, but come on, you can not be serious(also that is the longest sentence I have ever read lol. Yours not mine).

You are proposing the Flyers need a new coach and direction when they have not played a single game on the new year. Seems logical that you already marked us down to lose and struggle. All last year you complained we needed a new coach also. They just signed lavy to a new deal, so your wish isn't going to happen unless the teams starts out absolutely miserably. Judging from the last few years playing under Lavy, this team has the ability to get to the playoffs and won't struggle to make the playoffs.

Instead of putting everything on the coach, we also should put some responsibility on the players, Briere and other need to be more aware defensively. Every year we always think the team will struggle with scoring, yet they always come out and are in the top 10.

OH YEA, BRYZ

we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row? both times they looked flat, it's not because of the goaltending, it's because both times they looked flat and outcoached if want goaltending as a scapegoat then wait another 10-20 years until they find a coach that can win it all.

this is why philla never wins nothing because philly loves medicore stuff.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row?

Coaches are hired to be fired. It's the nature of the job in most sports. Ever hear the cliche, "you can't fire all the players, but you can fire the coach"?

When Laviolette was fired 2 years after winning the Cup, Rutherford re-hired one of his best friends, Paul Maurice. There was speculation about him "owing" Maurice. Hardly what I'd consider a black eye on Peter's resume.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row?

We have 2 amnesty buyouts over the course of the next 2 offseasons. We aren't stuck with Bryz if management decides they don't want him.

"Mediocre" franchises don't go to the finals 4 times in the last 30 years while making they playoffs nearly every year. That sounds like a good recipe for success, actually. It's not easy to win a Cup, but the Flyers are routinely in good position to make a run. You act like we're the Islanders.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
we'll probably stuck with bryz until something better comes along, which is not much other there, okay, if you think lav is so great why did he get fired in carolina after his Stanley cup win? usually Stanley cup winning coaches stay on their teams for a long time, you really think he's that great, that this team got killed by devils and bruins two years in a row? both times they looked flat, it's not because of the goaltending, it's because both times they looked flat and outcoached if want goaltending as a scapegoat then wait another 10-20 years until they find a coach that can win it all.

If we never win nothing, than that means we win something all the time :handclap:

Who cares why Carolina let Lavi go, what have they done since? Your point about Boston and NJ is pretty misguided since Boston won the cup, and NJ went to the Finals. Using your logic, every team in the NHL should have fired their coach when Boston won the Cup and every team in the East should have fired their coach last year.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

here is a news flash. are you sitting down?
coaches get fired. or they resign. its the nature of the beast. Take a look around the NHL and find me one coach who hasnt been around awhile that hasnt been canned. It happens.
The Flyers werent beating the Bruins when the Bruins won it all. Last year I guess you forgot this team was descimated with injuries. what did we have 11 players go under the knife?
I am sorry the Flyers dont play goon hockey anymore. But this is a fast and tough team that is a playoff team every season. You get into the playoffs anything can happen. Just look at 2010.

toughfighter83*

Ah, we go from negativity over the lockout to negativity over the Flyers, feels like home. Toughfighter83 is like, Level 97 negative. He's a pro.

what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?

Considering your disproportionate negativity, I think you've confused this team with the Leafs.

Fresh34

Jun 25, 2012
PA
Well, we're due to face the Devils and Rangers even more this year with a condensed schedule. Two teams that owned us last year, and the way they did it was by out-coaching us, in my opinion. Throwing an aggressive forecheck at us, playing more fast paced and physical, Lavy just never had an answer for them.

That being said, Lavy is the best coach for this team right now. I can't think of a better option.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia

As it has been already stated, it's your absurd amount of negativity. Like you are unfathomably negative to the point where it really seems fake.

RJ8812*

well if this is your argument, then no team that hasn't won anything before will ever win anything in the future.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad