If we only have 7 sticky threads ...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The threads that should be stickied generally fall into two categories, ones updated periodically/that exist as a focal point for reference and ones which see regular use but only at set times rather than daily. This saves regular posters from having to search to find it, and saves new/visiting posters from making new threads when they don't have to.

Of the current threads, I don't think the proposals thread should be stickied. I don't think it's necessary for the same reason as the Avalounge OT thread, there's near daily activity so it's not going to fall off the front page. The only reason you'd sticky threads like that is if they were interrupting new threads being made from being at the top of the page, and there's not enough activity for that, really.

I also really don't see the point in stickying GDTs. It's a GDT, it'll be active when the game is on. No need to keep it at the top for a few hours when it'll be at the top anyway.

If you hate so many threads, click the "x" box on the right hand side of the titles you don't want.

Use the functionality of the site, rather than pissing off people who care about these threads....only because you're inconvenienced.

I strongly dislike lots of threads/games/etc on this board and now have multiple threads on ignore. It actually makes my experience on HFBoards 10x better. I don't like soccer, and now I don't have to see Seph tell me everyday that he thinks it's better. Win-win.
I also agree with this

One sidenote - I agree with Tiger, we need to stick a Visiting Denver thread. When I travel to other NHL cities I always check their boards, and we get repeated requests here as well. A possible alternative - create an NHL travel forum section separate from each of the individual teams. But I stil think people would come here to ask about Denver.

and this.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Well seeing as American football and football are my two favorite sports I'll disagree about them not mixing. Not too many people grow up with both nor focus as much on the tactical/schematic side of sports like I do, so they don't see the amusing parallels if you strip away the way the action actually occurs.

That said, it's probably for the best that they have separate threads cause there's not that much overlap in the fanbases due to just how radical different the actual action is, American football with it's stop and starts, clear markers of progress, and set plays passed down through a hierarchy with few people in the chain able to improvise, football with it's continuous fluid play and more subtle build up to the final third/redzone which asks players in the field to read situations and decide their actions.
Also worth noting that (unlike other team boards on this site) the Avs soccer posters are usually not Americans (I don't think any of the serious posters cheer for team USA). I think that there are other boards that do choose to have just a general other sports thread, but they have less infighting because they have more Americans which enjoy both sports.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
it's not a problem at all - I actually like that the soccer thread has its own place now so I can ignore everything related. I just don't like the game and have zero interest in it- no offense at all to you guys who do. That's great you're passionate about soccer. Most of Denver is passionate about football. The two shouldn't be mixed.

My post wasn't directed at you... I have really ever noticed you bash the sport, it's some of the guys in the OT before we had our own. Heck they didn't even like we some talked about the video game, even though nobody would've cared if it was any other video game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Isn't the Out of town thread and the rumors/speculation thread about the same thing anyway?

I think the NFL and soccer crowds need to remain separated.

I think the Trade Rumors thread feels at home in the stickies, but it's not the end of the world if it's moved. Stickies should be for threads that don't get posted in all that often and get bumped down, but it also seems like a good spot for threads that always get posted in and bumped too. Otherwise you'll always have the same threads at the top of the other section, and any news ones will get bumped down quickly.

I don't care too much what happens with the stickies, but I'd agree with those suggesting to merge all the OT sports into one, and merging the prospects and Lake Erie threads. Seems like obvious choices if you're trying to cut down on the stickies, or add new ones.

Agree that GDT's don't need to be stickies. Seems pointless since they only last a day or two anyway, and they're easy to find when they're relevant.

The Injury thread and Avs media thread should be in the stickies too if possible.

Also, if possible it might be good to create and sticky a fantasy questions thread, so outside fans can ask their questions there, instead of somewhere else. Lots of HF boards have this so they can direct all the outside questions to one place. Could also serve as a place for Avs fans to talk about fantasy hockey.

Isn't the Out of town thread and the rumors/speculation thread about the same thing anyway?

It seems to end up that way in the offseason, but during the season there's a clear difference. The trade rumors thread is about just that, while the Out of Town thread gets mostly posts about non Av games that night.

I always felt it's a good thread for just general hockey posts and questions too, because those type of posts don't seem to have an obvious home, and usually end up in the trade rumors thread which kind of clutters things IMO.

Maybe tweaking the thread name might help. General Hockey Topics/Out of Town Scoreboard. Something like that so the trades rumors and future UFA/RFA talk can stay in the rumors thread, and everything else goes in the General Thread. Just my two cents.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Merging the ot sports threads is the same as ending the soccer thread. We'd never get any discussion in without it being shouted down. Unsticky them if you will and let the soccer thread die slow death but don't kill it outright.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It seems to end up that way in the offseason, but during the season there's a clear difference. The trade rumors thread is about just that, while the Out of Town thread gets mostly posts about non Av games that night.

I always felt it's a good thread for just general hockey posts and questions too, because those type of posts don't seem to have an obvious home, and usually end up in the trade rumors thread which kind of clutters things IMO.

Maybe tweaking the thread name might help. General Hockey Topics/Out of Town Scoreboard. Something like that so the trades rumors and future UFA/RFA talk can stay in the rumors thread, and everything else goes in the General Thread. Just my two cents.

Yeah I can see the difference there between us discussing trade ideas and rumors and the other teams' GDT type stuff but hockey "news" tends to get brought up in both threads. The rumors thread just becomes the catch all hockey discussion type thread, which is fine but when there is a lot of news it tends to go on in both places. I just think there needs to be a clearer distinction between the two or a clear distinction on where just general newsy chatter should go.

I think it's pretty clear that asking the soccer and football crowds to share a thread is a terrible idea. Just treat them both the same, unstick both. They are popular enough. The OT thread doesn't have a sticky.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The difference being the ot thread is posted in regularly while discussion in the two football threads ebbs and recedes depending on how near to the weekends and the matches that occur then, you are. So without stickies they could end up dropping quite far during hockey season, when a new gdt is popping into the mix every other day and other things are going on.

If they need to be unstickied, so be it, but it'll be different than the RDT.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Must go:
- Broncos (completely OT)
- Soccer (offensively OT)
- Sakic/Roy (ran its course)

Must add:
- Out of town discussion (downright shameful that it's not there)
- Visiting Denver (semi-OT but could be useful for hockey fans from other cities)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The soccer thread will not be merged w/ the General Other Sports thread...the reason we created it was because the folks who wanted to discuss it were dominating that thread.

We won't be using a Sticky on GDT's.

I honestly don't know if there was a ruling that said we could only have 7 Sticky'd threads, but I know during the Off-Season our board was asked to cut down on what we had. You'll notice that we've already put the Roy Video thread back up, but during the off-season it won't be needed up there. So I think that there could be some leeway during the season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Please keep the [mod] soccer fans in their own thread. Otherwise it'll fill up the general sports thread with "what America calls soccer, the rest of world calls football."

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I vote for a Denver area thread. In he thread you can discuss places to stay, where to eat, tickets and more. t would be very useful for the Avs fans who aren't familiar with the area. I for example am coming for my first time next month and HF is where i've learned most about the area. A huge thanks to the posters here (especially tiger) for the help. I think a sticky would definitely benefit visitors in the future.

captaincheese

The BillDozer ~ PS4
Nov 1, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
So HFboards is about soccer, and football now? Come on, we come here for hockey. There is already designated forums for soccer, and football, your inconveniencing people that come here for hockey, which is what HF intended.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So HFboards is about soccer, and football now? Come on, we come here for hockey. There is already designated forums for soccer, and football, your inconveniencing people that come here for hockey, which is what HF intended.

No one said that HFBoards is about football or soccer...any insinuation to that is really unfounded.

People have the Other Sports threads to talk about their other interests--as it pertains to sports. If you don't like them you can ignore the thread and you'd never see it when you come to this board. Like was pointed out before actually utilize the features of the forum if you feel those types of threads are inconveniencing you.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Perhaps we can just ban all talk of soccer or ******* football?

I don't see a problem with team boards having threads dedicated to things that aren't the relevant team, even if there's areas elsewhere on HF to talk about the things. If a community is large and close enough to have such threads and there's regular activity in them, I don't see the problem. If you have no interest in the thread then you can make it go away.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I see no problem with having threads on soccer and football. I just don't understand why they occupy 2 of the 7 sticky threads on a hockey forum.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I only have 4 sticky threads :D Use the check box to get rid of the ones you don't want. It's such a simple solution - let people talk about what they want to talk about. If you're not interested in that subject, get rid of it in your view.

aJgjUoh.jpg

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Aw you killed the Monsters thread :( Why did you keep prospects but not Monsters since most people say it's largely the same thing? Might be an argument to keep the threads separated.

The thing that makes internet places successful is when they become a community. So if people want to talk about random things off topic that just helps the bond. It's not like 98% of the threads and convo here isn't hockey related. I could see it become a problem if it was getting away from the purpose of the forum but I don't think it is. I enjoy a few off topic convos occasionally.

c0rn1

Mar 15, 2012
Aw you killed the Monsters thread :( Why did you keep prospects but not Monsters since most people say it's largely the same thing? Might be an argument to keep the threads separated.

The thing that makes internet places successful is when they become a community. So if people want to talk about random things off topic that just helps the bond. It's not like 98% of the threads and convo here isn't hockey related. I could see it become a problem if it was getting away from the purpose of the forum but I don't think it is. I enjoy a few off topic convos occasionally.

I enjoy a few off topic convos as well which you might have seen since I participated in the soccer thread during the WC yet I do not think it is feasible or necessary to have off-topic threads stickied which do derail the main purpose of the subsection of the forum.
Having 1 general off-topic thread stickied is fine but if you go into details and start making threads for some other sports I think I could provide a good deal of inside into latest astrophysical discoveries. Should I request a stickied thread now if I find 30+ people who might share my interest?
And I didn't make this thread because I wanted to start a flame war rather than point out something that I found quite weird on a hockey board.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Monsters thread is still Sticky'd for me TV.

I am really flummoxed as to why/how this reached 3 pages (I mean that legitimately).

During the off-season we got to cut down on the amount of Sticky's, during the season we have a little more leeway to add some more as we Mods see fit. At this point I do not foresee any immediate changes to what we have. (I don't mean that definitively, just saying I'm not sure if anything will change)

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh I know it's still there, I meant Bonzai has it on ignore. I think this thread is good to toss opinions around but I respect the mods decision on what is going to happen, it's all good.

Having 1 general off-topic thread stickied is fine but if you go into details and start making threads for some other sports I think I could provide a good deal of inside into latest astrophysical discoveries. Should I request a stickied thread now if I find 30+ people who might share my interest?

If there were enough people here interested in that I'd have no issues with such thread.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I agree with most of what you said except for about the prospects/monsters. Just informational would be what? I'd like to have a place to discuss and post the highlight videos, assuming people are still interested in that. I don't want to just post links with no feedback, it's like talking to myself. I also plan on watching a fair amount of our prospects' games this season, it would be nice if people would converse with me about that. If it's spread around to random threads I fear any hope of discussion is lost because a lot of people don't follow or care that much. I'm fine with merging the two as long as that helps the discussion and doesn't hurt it. One thread that's more active is probably for the better anyway. I don't see it as redundant because clearly some players play for the Monsters and other players do not. But if the point is the audience that's interested in people who don't play for the Avs is the same then fine. The Rumors thread and the Out of Town Scoreboard thread is redundant. It should be something like Around the NHL news, rumors, proposals.

There is enough action in the sports threads to where it would never fall off the first page. It's like the OT thread, there is enough action in it eventually.

You may have a point there about the LEM and others not mixing well as a sticky thread. I was thinking more just rosters and summaries/stats of the players (or links to EP profiles with summation of our opinions on them). Have all the players that belong to the Avs in the list, broken down by team they are on, updated regularly. But the discussion would be more fitting in separate threads, by team or level (Junior/Pro), so two threads for that makes sense.

Rumors thread and Around the League should be separate, but maybe with names to differentiate them.

Some teams have 8 stickies, did not notice any with more than that. Most have fewer, with some only having 3.

Given that Denver/Colorado has every major men's pro team sport, including both LaX leagues (the only city able to claim all 7), it makes sense to have a thread for that. And we have enough of an international base here to warrant a soccer only thread (and no, the US is not the only place to call it soccer). But I am still not convinced they need to be stickied...if they are that popular, they will stay on the first page or two. If they are streaky enough to drop past that, then the fans of them can hunt them down (or subscribe).

I like having the Roy/Sakic thread, and that is a perfect example of what I mean by reference thread.

Not sure we need the Locker Room Video thread stickied, as when ever something new is out there, it will be resurrected.

Any chance we could get a sub-forum, and stick the other sports and OT stuff in there? That would solve a lot of this if possible. Other Sports, Soccer, Bios, and Denver info could shunt into that, leaving room for Rumors, Around the League (which we do not have yet), Juniors, Lower Pros, LRVids and Management Record. Plus room to grow if needed. If not, then those 10 going forward, dropping LRVids and merging Juniors/Pros if we have to get down to 8.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I do see them as the same thing - don't really have an argument for keeping them apart sorry.

But seriously cutting down on the # of threads and stuff I use has been great for me. I also cut out that count-down game now as well. I just trim it to what I am interested in the MOST. (not to discount other threads - everyone's different and I fully respect that other people will like other things more than I do; it's what makes us all humans and unique).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I do see them as the same thing - don't really have an argument for keeping them apart sorry.

But seriously cutting down on the # of threads and stuff I use has been great for me. I also cut out that count-down game now as well. I just trim it to what I am interested in the MOST. (not to discount other threads - everyone's different and I fully respect that other people will like other things more than I do; it's what makes us all humans and unique).

Fair enough, just thought I'd ask since most people see them as the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad