OT: If we make the playoffs, is it still going to be Bowen?

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Bowen would be my first choice. Bob Cole would be nice for nostalgia, but I get uncomfortable when he makes mistakes...kinda like an awkward moment on Frasier...makes me want to leave the room.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I have no hate for Joe B but he doesn't work for CBC so the chances of him doing Leaf playoff games are nil. hope all you want but unless it's Habs/Leafs (and even then it may be), it will be Jim and Craig for Leaf games. CBC doesn't follow a formula all season and then change everything in the playoffs.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He won't but I wouldn't mind a game or two. Despite all his verbal mistakes, which we even see from Cole these days, he's a massive leafs fan and it shows.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
you know. you hear calls like this:

or this

or this

I would take senility over THIS:

I know the sample size isn't fair due to the fact Hughson hasn't CALLED a Leafs playoff game, but I mean. Come ON.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Unless something has changed, the order for picking playoff series goes:

CBC
CBC
TSN
CBC
TSN
CBC
TSN
TSN

Thus, based on the current standings, I think we'll see:

CBC: Toronto-Winnipeg
CBC: Vancouver-Detroit
TSN: Montreal-N.J.
CBC: Ottawa-Boston
TSN: Rangers-Pittsburgh
CBC: Minnesota-L.A.
TSN: Chicago-St. Louis
TSN: Anaheim-San Jose

CBC, in my mind, chooses Vancouver over Montreal because of the RDS French coverage.

I can see arguments for either Hughson or Cole handling the Leaf games.

puckluck19

Registered User?
Oct 20, 2008
Courtice, ON
As stated by everyone here, ALL playoff games in canada are broadcast by TSN and CBC. Bowen will take over the radio call for all Leaf playoff games (as he does when reg season games are on TSN or CBC)

With Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver all on track for playoff appearances, CBC will have some hard decisions to make when picking which series to broadcast.

Like last year, the 'draft' order goes

1 CBC (Any all-Canadian matchup)
2 CBC (Any series ft. one of TOR/MTL/VAN in that order)
3 TSN (Any of VAN/OTT/WPG if not in a series above)
4 CBC (Any remaining Canadian team or Pittsburgh)
5 TSN (Pittsburgh or Detroit if possible)
6 CBC (Remaining american teams furthest west for doubleheaders)
7 TSN (Remaining american teams)
8 TSN (Remaining american teams)

CBC likes to assign crews to a series until its completion while TSN moves Miller and Cuthbert around and will just simulcast US feeds as well. Always a fun time of year to speculate on the Broadcast draft and crew assignments. Too hard to speculate who CBC will assign where until the playoff picture clears up a bit more

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
He won't be, but I would much rather have Joe Bowen than Hughson, Simpson and Healy ever.

Honestly, I wish CBC would bring Chris Cuthbert back.

Chris Cuthbert is the best in the biz. Unbiased and calls the game well.

Cuthbert and Ferraro are the best duo in the league.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think I will drop all other sports packages from my satellite programming if the Leafs get in. Won't be watching much else than CBC for a while. I wonder if you can still pick up the bunny ears antenna signal?

Should save me about 50 bucks a month.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
As stated by everyone here, ALL playoff games in canada are broadcast by TSN and CBC. Bowen will take over the radio call for all Leaf playoff games (as he does when reg season games are on TSN or CBC)

With Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver all on track for playoff appearances, CBC will have some hard decisions to make when picking which series to broadcast.

Like last year, the 'draft' order goes

1 CBC (Any all-Canadian matchup)
2 CBC (Any series ft. one of TOR/MTL/VAN in that order)
3 TSN (Any of VAN/OTT/WPG if not in a series above)
4 CBC (Any remaining Canadian team or Pittsburgh)
5 TSN (Pittsburgh or Detroit if possible)
6 CBC (Remaining american teams furthest west for doubleheaders)
7 TSN (Remaining american teams)
8 TSN (Remaining american teams)

CBC likes to assign crews to a series until its completion while TSN moves Miller and Cuthbert around and will just simulcast US feeds as well. Always a fun time of year to speculate on the Broadcast draft and crew assignments. Too hard to speculate who CBC will assign where until the playoff picture clears up a bit more

I'm pretty sure that someone from CBC said that it's always Toronto first and Vancouver second. The problem with Montreal is that the fanbase is split with RDS. And are you claiming that CBC would choose Winnipeg-Ottawa and let TSN have Vancouver?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Thus, based on the current standings, I think we'll see:

CBC: Toronto-Winnipeg
CBC: Vancouver-Detroit
TSN: Montreal-N.J.
CBC: Ottawa-Boston
TSN: Rangers-Pittsburgh
CBC: Minnesota-L.A.
TSN: Chicago-St. Louis
TSN: Anaheim-San Jose

CBC, in my mind, chooses Vancouver over Montreal because of the RDS French coverage.

I can see arguments for either Hughson or Cole handling the Leaf games.

Yup...Toronto/Vancouver will go #1/2 no matter what.

Montreal = RDS and Ottawa/Winnipeg aren't bigger draws than Vancouver even if they're playing each other.

And even though CBC usually puts Hughson with the Canadian team they think will go the farthest, the only two matchups where the Leafs would be distinct underdogs are Pittsburgh or Boston, and there's no way in hell the CBC A team isn't calling Leafs/Crosby or Leafs/Bruins.

In conclusion, I'd be stunned if the Leafs didn't get Hughson.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think I will drop all other sports packages from my satellite programming if the Leafs get in. Won't be watching much else than CBC for a while. I wonder if you can still pick up the bunny ears antenna signal?

do you have cable (like a line through your wall?) i think the bunny ears is dead - but CBC is one of those few channels you get even w/o basic cable.

I'm pretty sure that someone from CBC said that it's always Toronto first and Vancouver second. The problem with Montreal is that the fanbase is split with RDS. And are you claiming that CBC would choose Winnipeg-Ottawa and let TSN have Vancouver?

Yup...Toronto/Vancouver will go #1/2 no matter what.

Montreal = RDS and Ottawa/Winnipeg aren't bigger draws than Vancouver even if they're playing each other.

And even though CBC usually puts Hughson with the Canadian team they think will go the farthest, the only two matchups where the Leafs would be distinct underdogs are Pittsburgh or Boston, and there's no way in hell the CBC A team isn't calling Leafs/Crosby or Leafs/Bruins.

In conclusion, I'd be stunned if the Leafs didn't get Hughson.

so wait. if it was a choice between Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary, Vancouver gets #2 spot? Why? are they are the biggest draw? or is it just time (for doubleheaders)?

true. the A-squad would probably get the Leafs, (joy).

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Well, Edmonton/Calgary aren't making it anyways, but yeah Vancovuer has a far bigger viewer base. Not to mention that even if those two teams snuck in the 7/8 spots and got Chicago and Anaheim they'd be favoured to get wrecked (except Edmonton would trash Chicago but that's beside the point), and CBC would rather get continuity with teams.

For the doubleheader thing, Edmonton/Calgary definitely had some 8 PM local starts in the playoffs when they were in it to solve that issue, similar to HNIC.

puckluck19

Registered User?
Oct 20, 2008
Courtice, ON

I do forget about RDS, I just genuinely feel Montreal has more Canadian-wide English-viewing fans and playoff band-wagoners than Vancouver (and maybe even Toronto). I see it first-hand having lived in Alberta and now living here in Saskatchewan where it tends to go Habs 1 Leafs 2 Oilers 3 with the Jets only just starting to take root in the casual fan population.

It's a no-brainer that CBC takes WPG/OTT, Canadian fans love an all-Canadian series and they have picks 1, 2 and 4. If it was WPG/OTT, a TOR series, a MTL and a VAN:

CBC WPG/OTT
CBC TOR
TSN takes MTL because Bell (which owns both TSN and RDS) can combine viewership with RDS in their press release numbers
CBC VAN

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Nah the RDS thing is legit, I mean in '09-'10 CBC took Crosby/Ottawa over Montreal/Washington (when Ovechkin was good of course) because of it.

I disagree that an all-Canadian series would be taken #1, I mean there's a reason the Leafs are the flagship HNIC broadcast even if there's some combo of the Sens/Habs/Jets playing each other that night.

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013
:huh:Perhaps the question shouldn't be will Joe Bowan call the Leaf playoff games, but would Joe Bowan "survive" calling a Leafs playoff game. He'll be so homeristically excited that he'll have no voice left towards the end of each game,....and let's hope there's a ER nurse on standby near the booth. Good Gravy!:shakehead

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
He won't be, but I would much rather have Joe Bowen than Hughson, Simpson and Healy ever.

Honestly, I wish CBC would bring Chris Cuthbert back.

Chris Cuthbert is the best in the biz. Unbiased and calls the game well.

Completely agree, love Cuthbert. My first pick would be Bob Cole but Cuthbert is a very close second. His voice just reminds me of the playoffs in the early 2000's

carlyle

Feb 20, 2013
I have a feeling something like this will happen if Joe calls the games. The memories will all come flashing back to him.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
:huh:Perhaps the question shouldn't be will Joe Bowan call the Leaf playoff games, but would Joe Bowan "survive" calling a Leafs playoff game. He'll be so homeristically excited that he'll have no voice left towards the end of each game,....and let's hope there's a ER nurse on standby near the booth. Good Gravy!:shakehead

And that's why he should call them on TV.

Imagine CBC let him do the Leafs games. :handclap:

They won't though.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

do you have cable (like a line through your wall?) i think the bunny ears is dead - but CBC is one of those few channels you get even w/o basic cable.

Not only can you pick up CBC (and many other stations) on an antenna, you can get it in HD. And I've been told over the air HD is better looking than cable HD because it's not compressed.

And it's not like the old days with static, because it's digital if you get it you get it 100%

All you need is a digital antenna such as this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10901&cs_id=1090102&p_id=7976&seq=1&format=2 which I use I just stick it near the window and it works great, $20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad