Pre-Game Talk: If we lose to Buffalo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Krueger and Renney both got more out of less talented groups.

Either they were amazing finds and the team never should have parted ways with them OR

It probably won't be that tough to find someone who can do better than Eakins.

Renny had less to work with than Kruger.
Kruger had less to work with than Eakins in his first season.
Eakins has a lot more to work with this year than last year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Anyone care to do a Brokeback Mountain pic with MacT saying to Eakins "I can't quit you"?

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Sabres have one less point then us playing at home against a team that is playing 3rd game in 4 nights . Oilers are at a severe low in confidence , this wont be pretty 3-1 Sabres.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Anyone care to do a Brokeback Mountain pic with MacT saying to Eakins "I can't quit you"?

QDZglT5.jpg

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
While I really have no business lurking your forum, I had to comment, that I'm thinking that Buffalo should suit your team? Your biggest problem is that you get scored on too much, right?

Well Buffalo's main flaw happens to be scoring and creating offense, so it should give your D some time and calm to get set up properly.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
This game is a no-win for us. We're a bad team. The record shows that. If we blow out the worst team in the league, what does that do other than give Eakins and MacT a boost that their plan is working. If we get blown out, are they finally going to see the light that they haven't seen up to this point and realize were bad. Best thing Id like to see is a close hard fought win. Get some point, get something for the kids to feel good about, and no one in management/coaching get too excited about us being great.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
While I really have no business lurking your forum, I had to comment, that I'm thinking that Buffalo should suit your team? Your biggest problem is that you get scored on too much, right?

Well Buffalo's main flaw happens to be scoring and creating offense, so it should give your D some time and calm to get set up properly.

So Buffalo has a scoring ailment you say? Well Katz Pharmaceuticals has a prescription for that, and it's the Oilers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Until MacTavish fixes his horrible D problems and/or the C problem, this team is doomed.

If they lose to Buffalo, I expect either nothing, or a dumb panic move.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

No the big problem is this team, built to be able to score goals can't actually score enough goals. Look at the games against Boston and Philly. Lots of possession but few goals to show for it, when the inevtiable breakdowns happened they wound up in the back of their net and they lost big. They cash in on some chances they can swing momentum and put the other team really on their heels, but no they can't do that. That's really the issue here.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Will it change anything?

Buffalo was supposed to be the worst team this year, right?

Questionable goaltending, not enough talent up front and a few question marks on the blueline.

If we don't win tomorrow I'm going to be speechless.

I wouldn't be shocked. all it would take is outworking the Oilers, and that isn't hard to do.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The oilers ill not lose to Buffalo they will win 3-0 or something like that. I've said it before this team despite being so bad for so long always seems to keep the wolves at bay by pulling out the odd game or games at the right time. Start the season 5 games with no wins? Reel in a few wins. Lose 4 more in a row? Manage to beat a terrible team on merit to keep the wolves off them.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The oilers ill not lose to Buffalo they will win 3-0 or something like that. I've said it before this team despite being so bad for so long always seems to keep the wolves at bay by pulling out the odd game or games at the right time. Start the season 5 games with no wins? Reel in a few wins. Lose 4 more in a row? Manage to beat a terrible team on merit to keep the wolves off them.

Any team's best can easily beat us. I think the Sabres show us tonight just how far behind we really are.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
No the big problem is this team, built to be able to score goals can't actually score enough goals. Look at the games against Boston and Philly. Lots of possession but few goals to show for it, when the inevtiable breakdowns happened they wound up in the back of their net and they lost big. They cash in on some chances they can swing momentum and put the other team really on their heels, but no they can't do that. That's really the issue here.

If you're going to be a run and gun team, you better be really good offensively like the Penguins or something. Most NHL teams is better off building from the back.

On your game tonight; I guess Buffalo have gotten a little better recently, they have gotten pretty tough to score on, but I think the Oilers can solve Buffalos defense and win the game.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
If you're going to be a run and gun team, you better be really good offensively like the Penguins or something. Most NHL teams is better off building from the back.

They're not a run and gun team though. Eakins is trying to make them grind out games. Given the makeup of the players on this team and the way the GM has gone about constructing the team wanting lots of possession and 3 scoring lines, the coach is trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. If they had some kind of system offensively and a PP that worked they could play that way, but they don't. There's no support for anyone in the offensive zone, the PP has a mind boggling set up and as a result a lot of guys who have shown in the past they can put up points in the NHL are not putting up points. Eakins needs to go ASAP if this team is going to improve. Either that or they need to trade everyone for the muckers Eakins seems to think he has but good luck selling that to your fan base.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'll be at the game. This sucks, but I'm cheering for an Oilers loss. It would be insane if they didn't make a change after th.... oh wait, I forgot who I was talking about for a minute.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
At this point, what is one more loss? I'm numb to it. Anything that speeds up the Eakins firing is what I hope happens.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
They're not a run and gun team though. Eakins is trying to make them grind out games. Given the makeup of the players on this team and the way the GM has gone about constructing the team wanting lots of possession and 3 scoring lines, the coach is trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. If they had some kind of system offensively and a PP that worked they could play that way, but they don't. There's no support for anyone in the offensive zone, the PP has a mind boggling set up and as a result a lot of guys who have shown in the past they can put up points in the NHL are not putting up points. Eakins needs to go ASAP if this team is going to improve. Either that or they need to trade everyone for the muckers Eakins seems to think he has but good luck selling that to your fan base.

Alright I get it. You're probably right. :) Well good luck get rid of Eakins then! I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
If you preface a question with, "if we lose to Buffalo..." you already know the answer to the question. Not doing something simply because the Oilers beat the worst team in the league is just delaying the inevitable. It's the difference between good proactive management and bad reactive management.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
I had a nightmare last night where we suffered through another terrible year only to finish 1 pt ahead of Buffalo at the end.

Then... low and behold ...we win the lottery! Omg McDavid woooo!

NOPE! Katz overrules the pick and we trade down for a lower pick.

I cant even escape the Oilers ruining my life while i'm asleep :laugh:

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad