If we get the Blues pick, who would you want?

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
Maybe we'll get....

TARO-copy.jpg

:yo:

Seriously, I highly doubt the Sabres will get anyone that we'll see in a Sabres jersey for many years to come, if ever.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I'm on board for demko, but a forward like bleackley/godolbin/scherbak will do if hes already gone. I'd also love to get Kevin fiala with that pick, but I don know if he'll still be on the board.

Seriously, I highly doubt the Sabres will get anyone that we'll see in a Sabres jersey for many years to come, if ever.

What makes you say that?

Deleted member 27798

When you get into the later parts of the 1st round and later, the draft becomes an even bigger crapshoot. I would rather stay where they are at and pick BPA, versus some trade up scenario which results in less players picked in the top 50-60.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Bleackley / Karlsson / Demko

This is repeating! :laugh:

Couple other names... Eric Cornel - Peterborough forward and Brayden Point? :D

Jack Glover is another name to throw out there.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ideally i'd like us to target a guy and move up a few spots to grab them (or potentially more, but I think teams will be reluctant to trade out of that next tier of talent). Ho-sang is a personal favorite, but Barbashev, Scherbak, Bleackley, Fabbri and Goldobin would be nice targets. I'd prefer they avoid Demko, nothing against him as a prospect I just oppose the idea of drafting goalies with early picks.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
I'm on board for demko, but a forward like bleackley/godolbin/scherbak will do if hes already gone. I'd also love to get Kevin fiala with that pick, but I don know if he'll still be on the board.

What makes you say that?

Obviously most of you know that prospects are rarely NHL ready immediately and need time to develop. Along with many NEVER see the light of day in the NHL. Hell, even Murray said whoever he picks #2 will be going back to Jr's next season. Why the heck would anyone thing someone the Sabres pick in the last 20's would be seen anytime soon.

I never get excited with prospects anyway.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Surprised that Nick Schmaltz hasn't been mentioned yet (especially considering this board was in love with Kokhlachev after the Kassian pick). Are people expecting him to be off the board, or not really enamored with him?

ZeroPT*

Surprised that Nick Schmaltz hasn't been mentioned yet (especially considering this board was in love with Kokhlachev after the Kassian pick). Are people expecting him to be off the board, or not really enamored with him?

off the board. I have him 19th

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Obviously most of you know that prospects are rarely NHL ready immediately and need time to develop. Along with many NEVER see the light of day in the NHL. Hell, even Murray said whoever he picks #2 will be going back to Jr's next season. Why the heck would anyone thing someone the Sabres pick in the last 20's would be seen anytime soon.

I never get excited with prospects anyway.

Oh I see what you're saying now. I was thrown off by "for years to come", which implies a player playing for us for a long time, and in that context you would be saying that no one we draft is likely to play in the NHL at all. You mean a player seeing NHL time soon, which I agree with

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
difficult to project the 27th or 28th pick in the draft

one guy I would take a look at is:
Alex Tuch (though I doubt he drops that far), RW from US18
another is
Brett Pollack, LW from Edmonton WHL
and a third could be
Ville Husso, goalie from Finland though that might be early.

No. No more Ville's from Finland. ;)

wayfaringstranger

Mar 31, 2009
Rochester
If he is there I think Kevin Fiala should be strongly considered. Had a great year in Sweden. When the Swiss beat the US last thursday at the U18's he was the driving force for his line that seemed to contribute all but the empty net goal for their 4-2 upset win. Not the biggest player, and some questions on his two way play. But, as a boom or bust pick...he has the offense to be a top 6 player.

Big fan of Connor Bleackley too. His game seems to safely project to the pro level, I just don't know how much upside there is. Effective 3rd liner?

Jame mentioned Dougherty, who would be a solid pick. With the Winnipeg pick I wouldn't mind looking at fellow NTDP defender Jack Glover. 6'3" ~190 committed to UofMinn next year. Seems like a jack of all trades two way defensemen. Going the college route would allow us to slow cook him too.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Schmaltz, Karsslon, Kempe, Bleackley etc. Would fit pretty well for the ideals that Murray has expressed. So I think that one of those guys gets picked with the (possible) mid-late-first.

Thinking it more, I wouldn't be surprised to see Murray picking Adrian Kempe. He's quite similar with Zibanejad (less skill, more grit), who was drafted by Ottawa. They even had almost same statsheet during their drafting year. Big, bullish and hard working forward who can play as a centre as well as a winger?

Last edited:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
You have to wonder who will be this years Shinkaruk (projected top 10 pick in many mocks that dropped to 24th in 2013) and Erne (considered by many a top 20 pick in 2013 that dropped to 33rd).

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I have a pretty strong feeling that Demko is long gone by the early 20s... I'd say mid to late teens for him.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I really hope Goldobin is available there.

Not sold. When you're that bad defensively, and that ineffective on 2/3 of the ice, you need to look dominant in the one zone in which you excel. He's very gifted offensively, but I don't see "domination"....

I've only seen about three of his Sting games in full, though. Hence "not sold" just yet.

He's not lightning fast. He's not a big body like Nichuskin. He's not a power forward. I'm not sure he's the guy I want to "take a chance on"

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would hope we package it with a 2nd to move up further in the 1st round.

Also I don't get the infatuation with Demko. He had a very poor U-18 and this year in the NCAA, his save % was ranked 33rd overall, heck the kid from Canisius had a better save %. I'm not trying to say he's a bad goalie, but I don't get the major cry for trying to get him.

Demko was the only NTDP goalie that had a sub 3.00 GAA and a Save% north of .900 last year.

And in HE play this year, he was 2nd in the league in GAA and 7th in Save%.

But, he had much better stats than the other qualifying Freshman goalie. And Santaguida is three years older than Demko.

There were three freshman goalies in the entire NCAA that had a better Save% than Demko this year and they were all 20 or 21 years old.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Higher end if Perlini were to fall he is high on my board. Lemiuex, Bleakley, Tuch, Karlsson, Scherbak and Goldobin are all intriguing. McKweon is someone I also like.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I have a pretty strong feeling that Demko is long gone by the early 20s... I'd say mid to late teens for him.

I thought the same about Fucale last year. I thought when we made the trade with Carolina, we were trading up to grab him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad