If we get the Blues pick, who would you want?

SabresFuture

Apr 21, 2014
Reston, VA
Hi all, long time follower of Hockey's Future and HFBoards, but I only just registered. I'm a huge Sabres fan. My family is from Buffalo, though I grew up in Rochester. I now live down in Reston, VA outside of DC (Capitals country).

Let's say we end up with the Blues' first round pick this year and we already drafted either Reinhart or Bennett. Are there any prospects slated for the late first round that you would want to see them target?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
if Demko is there I jump at the chance. In a 'weaker' draft and having a good number of picks, why not take the best goalie available.

I really have no idea how the 2nd half of the 1st round is going to fall...any number of guys like Kempe, Bleackley, Ho-Sang, Tuch, Perlini etc etc could fall just based on teams having far different draft boards....Karlsson, Schmaltz or Lemieux...gonna be an interesting evening.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
With the Sabres potentially owning 27, 28, or 29 to go along with 31, it will be very interesting.

Some guys that I wouldn't mind the Sabres taking with those picks are:

Thatcher Demko - #1 rated goalie this year
Brendan Lemieux - Claude's kid and the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree
Conner Bleackley - Red Deer captain

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Assuming it's a mid to late 1st....
Connor Bleackley
Nikolay Goldobin
Nikita Scherbak
Jack Dougherty

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
With the Sabres potentially owning 27, 28, or 29 to go along with 31, it will be very interesting.

Ooooh, yes please to the bolded :nod: Totally forgot about him, but indeed, he'll make his papa proud!

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I hope TM packages some of the second rounders and that late first to move back into the top 10-15

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Good list. I really like Bleackley.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ooooh, yes please to the bolded :nod: Totally forgot about him, but indeed, he'll make his papa proud!

I wouldn't mind if the Sabres tried to take a goalie and an agitator every draft.

They could get both between the Blues 1st and their 2nd if they get Lemeiux and Demko.

:laugh:

Good list. I really like Bleackley.

Red Deer's captain and leading scorer in his draft year. I think he could be a steal given that by a lot of accounts it looks like he's going late first.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
A lot depends on where the pick ends up being......I like the idea of using St Louis' pick coupled with our 2nd, Winnipeg's 2nd or both to trade up for another potential impact player. Assuming the St Louis pick is somewhere between picks 25 and 30....it will depend on who falls.....in no particular order and with some unlikely to make it to that pick (Perlini, Tuch, Ho-Sang, Fiala, , Milano, Bleackley, Goldobin, Scherbak, Pastrnak) It seems like after pick 10 or so, it is up in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I like Bleackley a lot and he could realistically be there with that pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If Kempe were to be available I'd snatch him up fast. Ditto for Scherbak. Fabbri as well.

If none of the guys I think could/should be top 15 or so fall, then we're looking at a guy like Goldobin who I'd happily take a flier on. His offensive upside can hang with the best in the draft. The same rationalization can be applied to Ho-Sang and I'd consider him if Goldobin's not there. I see him more as an early 2nd guy though. Goldobin to some extent as well, but I'd rather take the plunge with him.

I don't believe Murray would draft Goldobin based on his sparse Russian track record. Scherbak and Barbashev I think he might. Scherbak's a big, talented kid with a somewhat Malkin-ish game and a great attitude. Barbashev is a 200 foot warrior and leader. I can't imagine Barbashev being available with this pick, but I'd love if we could trade up to get him.

I have a hard time pegging who is likely to be available at where the Blues project to draft. Throw in the infinite trade-up possibilities due to asset overload and threads like this become a real brain-bender for me. It'd probably just be easier for us to post our top 30 draft boards, though that can wait until it's nearer draft day.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the Blues get to the WCF to kick in scenario A, then the pick will be in the 26 to 29 range.

26 - If St Louis loses in the WCF AND Boston loses in the ECF
27 - If St Louis loses in the WCF AND any other team is the ECF loser
28 - If St Louis loses in the SCF
29 - If St Louis wins the Cup

The only way the Sabres get the St Louis pick and it's 25 or earlier is if the Blues lose in the first or second round and they re-sign Miller prior to the draft.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
difficult to project the 27th or 28th pick in the draft

one guy I would take a look at is:
Alex Tuch (though I doubt he drops that far), RW from US18
another is
Brett Pollack, LW from Edmonton WHL
and a third could be
Ville Husso, goalie from Finland though that might be early.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I've been saying all along Tuch and Demko...although I highly doubt Tuch drops that far, let alone out of the top 15.

If we have the chance to snatch Demko, I'd be pretty ticked if TM didn't do that. It's a weaker draft, so pick the goalie who's highly touted as one of the better goalie prospects coming out. He's already got so many of the tools physically and mentally (intangibles).

ZeroPT*

Demko
Bleackly
Goldobin
Scherbak
Lemieux

I really like Hawryluk but he would be a reach at 26-29

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I want a winger if we draft a center with 2nd overall. Anton Karlsson would be my number one choice.

"Karlsson is a strong forward that is tough to handle at full speed. He has a good compete level, solid checking ability and the smarts to play both ends effectively. He's a strong playmaker given his vision, timing and soft hands but can finish, too."

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I would hope we package it with a 2nd to move up further in the 1st round.

Also I don't get the infatuation with Demko. He had a very poor U-18 and this year in the NCAA, his save % was ranked 33rd overall, heck the kid from Canisius had a better save %. I'm not trying to say he's a bad goalie, but I don't get the major cry for trying to get him.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I keep thinking "there's no way that guy falls so far!" but realistically some of the guys have to fall that far.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I would hope we package it with a 2nd to move up further in the 1st round.

Also I don't get the infatuation with Demko. He had a very poor U-18 and this year in the NCAA, his save % was ranked 33rd overall, heck the kid from Canisius had a better save %. I'm not trying to say he's a bad goalie, but I don't get the major cry for trying to get him.

Quality of competition probably has a lot to do with it.

When it comes to ranking the top goalies eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft, the overwhelming majority consider Boston College freshman Thatcher Demko in a class by himself.

As expected, Demko remained No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's final rankings of the top draft-eligible North American goalies, which was released Tuesday.

"He was so far ahead of the under-aged players last year that if he was draft-eligible in 2013 he would have probably been drafted high; that's how far ahead he was then and is now," NHL Central Scouting's Al Jensen, who specializes in viewing goaltenders, told NHL.com.

At 6-foot-4 and 192 pounds, Jensen likens Demko to fellow American-born goalie and Anaheim Ducks goalie John Gibson.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712863

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2