If we get #1 in '15, would you rather have McDavid or Eichel?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I want to see Murray top the Reinhart pick and just walk up to the mic and say "McDavid".

f5657ea6e8a5225a9c0c692817d5bf5c-micdrop07.gif

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
McDavid, but Eichel is close enough to make the lottery far less of a worry than this year...

Eichel is closer to McDavid, then Bennett and Draisaitl were/are to Reinhart.

So losing the lottery (and not getting the #1 forward), won't be as devastating as it potentially was this year (thank the hockey gods we got Reinhart)

At this point, I assume we will lose the lottery... we didn't win it this year, and our odds have been cut in half (is that right?).

But I'll be elated to draft Eichel, and then steal Kylington with the Isles pick.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
McDavid, but Eichel is close enough to make the lottery far less of a worry than this year...

Eichel is closer to McDavid, then Bennett and Draisaitl were/are to Reinhart.

So losing the lottery (and not getting the #1 forward), won't be as devastating as it potentially was this year (thank the hockey gods we got Reinhart)

At this point, I assume we will lose the lottery... we didn't win it this year, and our odds have been cut in half (is that right?).

But I'll be elated to draft Eichel, and then steal Kylington with the Isles pick.

Not sure. I've heard Murray say he thought it would be 19-20% for the worst team to win the lottery. But I think I've heard it could be as low as 15%

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Had no idea that mcdavid is that tall. That is an eye opening stat. I think mcdavid will separate himself from eichel half way through the season and not look back. He will be the consensus number one come April.
Well, his brother is around that range, so I always figured he'd at least break 6'0'' (this was back when he was listed at a shade under 5'10'').
Here he is at the OHL Awards banquet in early June some other recent OHL 1st overall picks (LtR: Jakob Chychrun, 6'2'', Travis Konecny, 5'9.25'', Aaron Ekblad, 6'3.5''):
26lbJ0W.jpg

There's another elite player in this class that has broken the magical 6' barrier, but I'll hold off on the hype until I get some official measurements. ;)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not sure. I've heard Murray say he thought it would be 19-20% for the worst team to win the lottery. But I think I've heard it could be as low as 15%

Dont know what the new odds are...If Buffalo was able to end up with 3 lottery chances their odds likely will stay around 25% of winning.

I think the Isles end up 7-11 range with an 80% chance of missing the playoffs
St Louis is in a tough division so I could see them being #14 with a 25% chance of missing the playoffs. Theirs and Colorados jump in the standings last year had to do with their diviisional record. instead of the dominating reocrds they were more closer to .500 (2-3 games over) they end up in the high 90 pt totals. Dallas, Nashville, and Winnipeg benefot and bunch up the standings.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Dont know what the new odds are...If Buffalo was able to end up with 3 lottery chances their odds likely will stay around 25% of winning.

I think the Isles end up 7-11 range with an 80% chance of missing the playoffs
St Louis is in a tough division so I could see them being #14 with a 25% chance of missing the playoffs. Theirs and Colorados jump in the standings last year had to do with their diviisional record. instead of the dominating reocrds they were more closer to .500 (2-3 games over) they end up in the high 90 pt totals. Dallas, Nashville, and Winnipeg benefot and bunch up the standings.

Only way St Louis misses the playoffs is if Elliot/Allen implode.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Which would you prefer? $1,000,000 or $100,000? As of July 8, 2014 you, without question or hesitation draft McDavid. If the Sabres were to win the lottery TM would go looking for the nearest podium, announce that we're drafting Connor McDavid and run away while jumping and clicking his heals.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Whatever happens, you take McDavid at #1 (if you're at the top slot). IF you get the #2 overall pick, you take Eichel, and NOT Hannifin or anyone else. If you look at how Eichel plays, you can project him to be a top line elite winger. He's fast, big, strong, has a wicked shot. You take McDavid at #1 (or I quit being a fan lol), and you have him as your 1C and Reinhart as 2C. And if we are so fortunate as to have the #2 overall pick in my dream world, then you take Eichel so you can play him as your top line winger (we need those...). You do NOT try to take Hannifin, kylingon, or any d-man with the #2 pick. We have 2 blue chip prospects already (risto and zads), and also 2 VERY good prospects (not elite) in Pysyk and McCabe. We also have a vet in Gorges who is solid, and we have Tyler Myers who is gonna be 5-6 seasons into his development. The last 2 guys i mentioned will be able to shelter minutes for guys like Risto and Zadorov and others to grow for a couple seasons. Don't try to throw them in the fray. Letting an opportunity pass on Eichel at #2 after getting McDavid #1 (again in a dream world), means you end up taking a d-man like hannifin and trade away myers, again this just means you have Defensive PROSPECTS, not NHL ready players.

Let's just hope for the best and get McLover

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
McDiesel. Not a lot of prospects out there who I've heard of since they were 12 years old. Two actually and the other one just won the Calder.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I will be thrilled with Eichel at 2. Absolutely thrilled. If by some miracle the Sabres have the first pick, though, you can't not pick McDavid.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I haven't watched enough tape on Eichel yet but I think most people ill say McDavid at this stage.

The really interesting question is what if we pick 1 and 2. Do we pick them both or pick one and then try to get a kings ransom for the other?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I haven't watched enough tape on Eichel yet but I think most people ill say McDavid at this stage.

The really interesting question is what if we pick 1 and 2. Do we pick them both or pick one and then try to get a kings ransom for the other?

With all of the first and second round players and assets in this system, what in God's name combination of lesser assets is going to be better for this team than a Malkin to play behind our Crosby?

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
With all of the first and second round players and assets in this system, what in God's name combination of lesser assets is going to be better for this team than a Malkin to play behind our Crosby?

What if the islanders offered up Travares or Chicago said you can have Patrick Kane and his massive contract for the #2 pick and McCabe.

Unlikely yes.

You can't win without veteran leadership, and if someone offered up two pieces to go with McDavid and Reinhart. Might be tough to say no.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What if the islanders offered up Travares or Chicago said you can have Patrick Kane and his massive contract for the #2 pick and McCabe.

Unlikely yes.

You can't win without veteran leadership, and if someone offered up two pieces to go with McDavid and Reinhart. Might be tough to say no.

You might think I'm crazy, but this is my thinking on the value of the McDavid pick.

The Eichel pick would be pretty close in value. I think trading it for Pat Kane would be crazy. Tavares, maybe a little closer.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Unlikely yes.

why Kane? Chicago great team yes? So what's their problem? Why haven't they been to the finals in two years?

They built around a winger and only one Center. What the Sabres need to do is build around a 1/2 Center combo and plug in the wingers as the years go. Look at Chicago now; they are desperately looking for a number 2 center and are struggling with cap issues. The Kings? a better team than Chicago.. Yes I said it.. Why? They have depth down the middle.

Kane is not a need here in Buffalo. I wouldn't trade for him ever. If he wants to sign in free agency then be my guest but having two solid centers who make wingers better is worth more than a Toews and Kane its having a Toews and Toews.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Regardless of what's happening on the ice next season (yes, you've read that right), it would be a professional suicide for any GM in the league to not pick McDavid.

A bad year would put Eichel out of the top 3 at draft time. It cannot happen to McDavid. He will still be #1, like Crosby and Lindros before him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
They just won the Cup last year :dunno:
Oh yeah; shortened season win.. Thought that was 2 years ago but whatever 2 cups in 5 years; Good; Yes but my point still stands. They are dumb and built around a center and a winger rather than 2 centers. The blueprint for a dynasty begins with depth down the middle. We need a 1 and 2 combo down the middle.. not a 1 and a winger.

Case in point: I would not trade BUF 1st for nothing. We can get our own Tavares in this draft that is younger with a higher ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad