If we get #1 in '15, would you rather have McDavid or Eichel?

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Well when the islanders win the lottery we'll get both players :) my goodness that would mean multiple championships here in the next 15 years

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm for Jonner McEichel. Get both.

Say we finish last and win the lottery. Then the NYI 1st rd pick is say the 5th overall pick in the draft. I wonder if we took the 5th overall pick + our other 1st round pick lower in the first round + a prospect and traded with the team for their 2nd overall pick. In a heavy draft class I wonder if a team would give up 2nd over all to lower down just a bit for two first round selections?

For the same reasons we would want to make that trade (get Eichel), the other team would not want to make the deal, because they too would want Eichel. For a team to give up a franchise player (and make no mistake, both McDavid and Eichel are franchise players), you'd have to give up something way more valuable. Think of the Lindros deal--and then the Nordiques were under the gun. They had to trade him--a team picking 2nd would have even more leverage since the option of keeping the pick is still on the table.

2nd to 5th doesn't seem like that much, but when a player like Eichel is available, it all of a sudden becomes waaaay more. Doesn't matter that Barzal/Kylington/etc. are very good prospects. You don't pass on Eichel for one of them.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Well when the islanders win the lottery we'll get both players :) my goodness that would mean multiple championships here in the next 15 years

Not to mention getting to watch Bettman's head spontaneously com bust at the draft lottery table ..........

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
SxprH.gif

I knew someone was going to bust out the adorable little greedy girl gif.

While with all the picks we have in 2015 it's not out of the realm of possibility, just to play it safe I went with McDavid.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I knew someone was going to bust out the adorable little greedy girl gif.

While with all the picks we have in 2015 it's not out of the realm of possibility, just to play it safe I went with McDavid.

If we're getting greedy...

Sabres and NYI finish 29th and 30th. Blues miss playoffs and win lottery. Sabres pick McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin.

:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad