Speculation: If we continue to be in the playoff hunt - who should Stevie Y look to add at the TDL?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
and two of the teams currently just outside of a Playoff spot are the Rangers and Panthers

Rangers can't even win with a 3-0 lead... lost to Oilers 3-4. They did blew same way against us. That team is having serious problems, it has happened something like 5 times at this season.

Those are as shitty/good teams as Red Wings currently for playoff contention.

Funny how people can't accept Red Wings being good.

You guys MUST HATE winning! Superior way of life.

This team needs to keep using its cap room in the offseason and keep drafting well. No reason to trade young players in order to acquire other young players. That's not an improvement.

There's always reasons to trade irrelevant young players, like Gustav Lindström somewhere. Those will be dime of dozen guys, we'll find the next Lindström in pipeline (like Anton Johansson etc.), and replace him on this day with a proven vet, who will bolster the team and solidify everything overall, maybe even takes some load off from Seider.

That's the way to build a hockeyteam.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Banked points = the points they’ve literally accumulated thus far. That’s all. And it’s notable because it’s more points than most people expected through 20 games.

well yeah sure but I don't see how having more points than people expected so far helps them stay in a Playoff spot if they "fall to planet earth" if it doesn't come with much of a lead on the closest current non Playoff teams

Rangers can't even win with a 3-0 lead... lost to Oilers 3-4. They did blew same way against us. That team is having serious problems, it has happened something like 5 times at this season.

Those are as shitty/good teams as Red Wings currently for playoff contention.

Funny how people can't accept Red Wings being good.

You guys MUST HATE winning! Superior way of life.

didn't they also beat the Wings 8-2 a few days after that? :laugh:

the Rangers have basically the exact same roster as their team that had 110 points with a +47 goal differential last year

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Personally, if we are in playoff contention near the deadline we can move extra players, prospects we don't see fitting in (we do have a overflow coming of players who need a chance), and moving some middle picks but no need to go out and make a big splash unless its a player with term or someone signing an extension. We still need to draft well and keep a steady stream of prospects. Its a long term game and everyone in management has suggested its all about long term success.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Larkin needs to be signed before any moves happen. If Yzerman is able to swing trading Bertuzzi and acquiring and extending Horvat that would be pretty great. Move Copp to 3C and Rasmussen to the wing

Reactions: Snuggs and SoupNazi

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
well yeah sure but I don't see how having more points than people expected so far helps them stay in a Playoff spot if they "fall to planet earth" if it doesn't come with much of a lead on the closest current non Playoff teams
Um, well yeah, that's literally the question I was asking. You just answered it, so not sure what you are arguing against lol. You think "planet earth" for Detroit is so bad that it renders this good start meaningless, and they miss the playoffs. Looks like ManwithNoIdentity agrees with you. I'm sure there are others. Then there are those of us who think that "planet earth" for Detroit may still be good enough that, in combination with these 26 points, can still get them into a playoff spot. It's a matter of how far of a drop "planet earth" is for Detroit.

Simply put, those of who think they can get into the playoffs naturally think that these 26 points so far are very helpful in getting them there. Simple math.

He will but not in Detroit, Husso is clear number 1 goalie and he's giving the team chance to win every night. Coaches and players seems to trust Husso more than Ned. I think Yzerman will get a good price on Ned.
We'll see. Ned has shown he can be better than he has been. And Detroit isn't shipping him out any time soon, so he'll have an opportunity to bounce back. And if he doesn't, I don't see how Yzerman would get much in return.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Um, well yeah, that's literally the question I was asking. You just answered it, so not sure what you are arguing against lol. You think "planet earth" for Detroit is so bad that it renders this good start meaningless, and they miss the playoffs. Looks like ManwithNoIdentity agrees with you. I'm sure there are others. Then there are those of us who think that "planet earth" for Detroit may still be good enough that, in combination with these 26 points, can still get them into a playoff spot. It's a matter of how far of a drop "planet earth" is for Detroit.

Simply put, those of who think they can get into the playoffs naturally think that these 26 points so far are very helpful in getting them there. Simple math.

We'll see. Ned has shown he can be better than he has been. And Detroit isn't shipping him out any time soon, so he'll have an opportunity to bounce back. And if he doesn't, I don't see how Yzerman would get much in return.

is it even falling if you're also assuming that other teams will also fall just as much?

because that's what falling while still making the Playoffs starting from such a small point buffer would require, it's not like the Wings are 10 points above the cutoff and can afford to drop a few games more than their competition and still make it

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I see it differently, Red Wings are fighting for a spot in the playoffs and the best will play now. Ned won't have enough chances to bounce back in Detroit, but everybody knows his potential and if Red Wings retain 50% somebody pays happily. And also Red Wings claimed Hellberg, Wings don't need to get a goalie back in the trade. Olkinuora, Cossa and Brattsröm stays in GR, so they don't need to find a number 1 goalie when the trade happens.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's Edvinsson
Edvinsson isn't a good, proven, solid NHLer.
Settle down.

As much as like Chiarot, he is not supposed to be first line

Well, neither is Maatta.
And here we are.
The point wasn't to have an ideal roster. The point was to improve on last year. That's what we did.
Chiarot can play big minutes. Maatta can do his job.
And eventually, when Edvinsson is ready, Chiarot can take a lower role.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
is it even falling if you're also assuming that other teams will also fall just as much?

because that's what falling while still making the Playoffs starting from such a small point buffer would require, it's not like the Wings are 10 points above the cutoff and can afford to drop a few games more than their competition and still make it
It's not like Detroit needs to maintain their current pace to make the playoffs. So my question is essentially, how much can they afford to drop off, and is that attainable? They're on pace for 107 points, more than enough. Last season was an outlier in the East, but on average to get in to the playoffs a team would need 95-97 points. Let's say their goal is 96 points. To get there they would need to be on pace for 93 points the rest of the way. Still a tall order, but I think it's within the realm of possibility.

Teams other than Detroit will obviously fall. Others will surge. That doesn't really have much to do with the averages and what Detroit needs to accomplish points-wise.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I see it differently, Red Wings are fighting for a spot in the playoffs and the best will play now. Ned won't have enough chances to bounce back in Detroit, but everybody knows his potential and if Red Wings retain 50% somebody pays happily. And also Red Wings claimed Hellberg, Wings don't need to get a goalie back in the trade. Olkinuora, Cossa and Brattsröm stays in GR, so they don't need to find a number 1 goalie when the trade happens.
Husso can't play every game. He's played 7 of the last 8, which is likely unsustainable. He's playing more than Detroit would like because Ned has been so bad and Husso's been so good. But Ned's likely due for some regression. If he can turn in some good performances when he does get in, he can drive that share closer to a typical 1A and 1B setup, and get something closer to 2-3 out of every 8 games, instead of only 1. He'll have at least that opportunity.

The Hellberg claim is interesting, but I'm not convinced that's a sign Ned has lost his job. He has more rope than that. I think it's just a play for more depth in the system overall.

Reactions: Ricelund

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Husso can't play every game. He's played 7 of the last 8, which is likely unsustainable. He's playing more than Detroit would like because Ned has been so bad and Husso's been so good. But Ned's likely due for some regression. If he can turn in some good performances when he does get in, he can drive that share closer to a typical 1A and 1B setup, and get something closer to 2-3 out of every 8 games, instead of only 1. He'll have at least that opportunity.

The Hellberg claim is interesting, but I'm not convinced that's a sign Ned has lost his job. He has more rope than that. I think it's just a play for more depth in the system overall.
The Hellberg claim could be to backup Ned. This would give Husso a full day off in non-starts and then in theory could start more.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The Hellberg claim could be to backup Ned. This would give Husso a full day off in non-starts and then in theory could start more.
Sounds plausible. Wings had been carrying 22 roster players for a while, so yeah, 3 goalies might be their plan for the time being, I can see it. Not sure how long that would last though.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sounds plausible. Wings had been carrying 22 roster players for a while, so yeah, 3 goalies might be their plan for the time being, I can see it. Not sure how long that would last though.
Well in theory then it could also be Ned backing up Magnus on the hope that one of the backups starts to separate themselves.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Well in theory then it could also be Ned backing up Magnus on the hope that one of the backups starts to separate themselves.
I'm always ready to endorse scenarios where there's competition, I'd be fine with that. May the player who is the biggest help to Detroit win.

Reactions: norrisnick

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Edvinsson isn't a good, proven, solid NHLer.
Settle down.

Well, neither is Maatta.
And here we are.
The point wasn't to have an ideal roster. The point was to improve on last year. That's what we did.
Chiarot can play big minutes. Maatta can do his job.
And eventually, when Edvinsson is ready, Chiarot can take a lower role.
I like to see Seider gets help from very good veteran defenseman, just like Pronger gets from Macinnis

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This whole conversation is like watching a game of charades, with a Dreamer and a Doomsdayer on the same team.

Three words... Sounds like...

FIERY CHAOTIC DEATH!

Um, no. Let's try again. Beginning word rhymes with 'Thirst'.

WORST!!!

No, not worst. The opposite. Like finishing a race before anybody else.

BURST! THERE'S A GIANT EXPLOSION THAT ANNIHILATES EVERYTHING!

Dude, chill out. You get a BLUE RIBBON for finishing in this position! Think!

CURSED! THE TEAM WILL NEVER WIN A THING!!!

Sigh. The word is, 'First'.
Second word. The second season of hockey. Rhymes with quaff.

SCOFF! TROUGH! DROP-OFF!

Did you not get hugged enough as a kid or something? It's PLAYOFF!!!

Oh. Ok.

*deep breath* Alright. We can do this. Third word. To walk extremely fast. Rhymes with 'fun'.

DONE! NONE! SHUN! BLOWGUN!

*facepalm* It's run. As in, 'First. Playoff. Run.'

WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO TALK ABOUT A PLAYOFF RUN?!?

Yeeeeeeeeah. I'm out.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Edvinsson is gonna be a heck of a acquisition at some point this season. I don't really see a weakness once he comes in and solidifies the 3rd pair. A 2nd line center is one spot I could see a trade, not sure if Horvat is the player I would target.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad