Speculation: If we continue to be in the playoff hunt - who should Stevie Y look to add at the TDL?

bcjr13

Oct 29, 2018
I think we need some more grit and size up front. I would go get Josh Anderson from MTR. That and a mobile puck moving D would put us in good shape.
Vrana returns
Walman has looked good
Husso is a STUD

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
C Bo Horvat + LHD Jakob Chychrun

I'm not even going to speculate on the cost. Just go all out. I literally don't give a crap about picks in the mid 20's when you've made the playoffs and have a chance to go on a run. (Which is what we are assuming here right?)

Gets some real dudes, keep Edivsson/Kasper. I don't wanna see a third line addition or something stupid. Lets make a move to get real good. Roll-out what you need to get those two, even Cossa imo, if it comes down to it, (probably shouldn't.)

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
C Bo Horvat + LHD Jakob Chychrun

I'm not even going to speculate on the cost. Just go all out. I literally don't give a crap about picks in the mid 20's when you've made the playoffs and have a chance to go on a run. (Which is what we are assuming here right?)

Gets some real dudes, keep Edivsson/Kasper. I don't wanna see a third line addition or something stupid. Lets make a move to get real good. Roll-out what you need to get those two, even Cossa imo, if it comes down to it, (probably shouldn't.)
DhJHtdOX4AAwak2.jpg

Don't see any way that we get both of those guys and keep Ed and Kasper. Particularly given the ask for Chychrun.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
DhJHtdOX4AAwak2.jpg

Don't see any way that we get both of those guys and keep Ed and Kasper. Particularly given the ask for Chychrun.
Hey... How many trades are actually predicted correctly anyways? Totally get your point though and understand.

GM's around the league can ask for Kasper/Edvinsson all they want honestly, it's pretty clear they aren't going anywhere unless we're talking about franchise changing players.

I'm not saying it's likely or anything, but Red Wings have picks/prospects/players to cough up to get something done without sending out Kasper/Edvinsson. Like I said, how many times do people honestly predict the right trade anyways. I... want both... but honestly just one would get me hyped up!

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think some RH center like Luke Gledening would be ideal fit.

And healthy RD "Mark Pysyk" at Defence.

Otherways, we have too many players which will be our trade deadline guys, when they'll return.

"mikael samuelsson returning from injury feels like trade deadline acquisition" - Ken Holland.

Don't think there's big need to add bodies. Yzerman did that already at summer.

Kubalik - Larkin - Perron
Bertuzzi - Copp - Raymond
"Vrana" - Veleno - Berggren
Erne - Rasmussen - Sundqvist
------------------------
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina <---- this was our 2nd line at last season! how much has this team improved...
Söderblom - Czarnik - Luff

Chiarot - Seider
Määttä - Hronek
Walman - "RH"
-----------------
Oesterle - Lindström
Edvinsson
Hägg

Husso
Ned
Hellberg
Olkinuora

If something is logical, it would be "quantity for quality" -style of trades.

We have quantity and cheap caphits. Some contenders have problematic caphits, and no depth. There's the match.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Hey... How many trades are actually predicted correctly anyways? Totally get your point though and understand.

GM's around the league can ask for Kasper/Edvinsson all they want honestly, it's pretty clear they aren't going anywhere unless we're talking about franchise changing players.

I'm not saying it's likely or anything, but Red Wings have picks/prospects/players to cough up to get something done without sending out Kasper/Edvinsson. Like I said, how many times do people honestly predict the right trade anyways. I... want both... but honestly just one would get me hyped up!
Oh, trust me, I don't disagree that we should go big or go home at this point. I just think that given all the smoke around Chychrun in particular so far, the asking price has to be fairly high or he'd have moved already.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Think some RH center like Luke Gledening would be ideal fit.

And healthy RD "Mark Pysyk" at Defence.

Otherways, we have too many players which will be our trade deadline guys, when they'll return.

"mikael samuelsson returning from injury feels like trade deadline acquisition" - Ken Holland.

Don't think there's big need to add bodies. Yzerman did that already at summer.

Kubalik - Larkin - Perron
Bertuzzi - Copp - Raymond
"Vrana" - Veleno - Berggren
Erne - Rasmussen - Sundqvist
------------------------
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina
Söderblom - Czarnik - Luff

Chiarot - Seider
Määttä - Hronek
Walman - "RH"
-----------------
Oesterle - Lindström
Edvinsson
Hägg

Husso
Ned
Hellberg
Olkinuora

If something is logical, it would be "quantity for quality" -style of trades.

We have quantity and cheap caphits. Some contenders have problematic caphits, and no depth. There's the match.
Also, there's a little bit of psychology to be had with standing pat. I have NO idea if the Yzerplan is this cold, but listen to what Lalonde has been saying for 20 games: "We don't have the talent to run with the big dogs - we have the will, but that only gets you so far."

Which is no-doubt true, but still a tough thing to hear as a RW, I bet. Reminds me a little of Kurt Russel's speech to the team at the beginning of Miracle: We don't have the talent, but we WILL have the stamina, which no one else has ever brought to the table.

If they can't win with the team they have now, they probably can't win with a couple of rentals added either; rentals that they'd trade hard-won prospects for, to boot.

If it were me, and if this team can get you there, I say ride them as far as I can with "show me what you've got" in the whip hand. Give the youngsters a taste of playoff hockey. Even a 4-0 sweep out of the first round lets them bust that cherry and be ready for next year. Then you'll have even more guys out there waiting for Stevie Y to text them so they can say "yes!", without rolling a truckload of money up first.

That's my opinion, anyway.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I mean, standard playoff contender add is trade draft picks and prospects for a 1) puck moving D to help add depth for a run, 2) add a middle six forward and 2nd PP guy for more secondary scoring, or 3) a bottom six defensive energy guy to “add grit and make us harder to play against!”

Honestly, I don’t think we should be adding any of those rentals to this team at the expense of future pick and prospects. Throwing a conditional 3rd for a quarter season rental of a JAG like Garrett Hathaway for “toughness” or even more expensive options like an aging Kane don’t suddenly make us a Top 4 contender to push us over the top.

If we make a move it has to be almost a hockey trade, and if we’re that successful at thst point of the season, do you run the risk of screwing with the chemistry and the development of our guys? The answer is probably no. Also any trade that requires us to move Kasper, Edvinsson, probably Cossa is a non starter - which takes us out of the running for the biggest name swaps like Horvat. Guys like Garland with term, experience, and skill are interesting but I have to imagine VAN sits till the off-season for more cap space bidders for a better return.

Outside of the opportunistic “We’re making a run and need all the vets who can play now!” Where teams would send us prospects for our own depth vets (Erne, maybe Fabbri?, Sunny, etc) - I doubt any move will or should be made.

Be patient, stick to the process. We’ll be selling off our picks and prospects for players soon enough

Reactions: Ricelund

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Also, there's a little bit of psychology to be had with standing pat. I have NO idea if the Yzerplan is this cold, but listen to what Lalonde has been saying for 20 games: "We don't have the talent to run with the big dogs - we have the will, but that only gets you so far."

Which is no-doubt true, but still a tough thing to hear as a RW, I bet. Reminds me a little of Kurt Russel's speech to the team at the beginning of Miracle: We don't have the talent, but we WILL have the stamina, which no one else has ever brought to the table.

If they can't win with the team they have now, they probably can't win with a couple of rentals added either; rentals that they'd trade hard-won prospects for, to boot.

If it were me, and if this team can get you there, I say ride them as far as I can with "show me what you've got" in the whip hand. Give the youngsters a taste of playoff hockey. Even a 4-0 sweep out of the first round lets them bust that cherry and be ready for next year. Then you'll have even more guys out there waiting for Stevie Y to text them so they can say "yes!", without rolling a truckload of money up first.

That's my opinion, anyway.
Yep. If there's a deal to be had that brings truly high end talent here long term, then you definitely make that move to improve your franchise going forward. But this is not a team that should be renting anybody just yet.

Steal one more draft class and have one more improved off season. Then, if everything really starts to click... That's when you take the trade deadline by storm.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One take to Yzerman history as Tampa GM:

First season 2010-11.
- He did a lot of summer moves. Traded for Gagne (reminds me of getting Perron). Bolstered the roster from free agency.
- Traded for experienced D at the deadline (Eric Brewer).
- Traded for experienced goalie (Dwayne Roloson) by giving a prospect (Ty Wishart)
- Swapped unneeded 3rd goalies (Ellis for McElhinney).

Team was at playoff hunt on his first year, and ended up to 103 points as 4th best at East.

Could see both things repeated at Detroit this year. Bolster the D and trying to fix the backup-position.

Second season 2011-12.
- Some summer moves again.
- Did trade players away for picks. (Downie --> Quincey --> 1st, Kubina for multiple conditional picks, Moore for 2nd etc.)

Team was out of the playoff hunt, finally by 8 points.

Third season 2012-13
- Summer moves again, messing with goalies. (getting Anders Lindbäck, who did not work)
- Missing out of playoffs, worse than year before. Did sell some people, but there was much less to sell than year before.
- Did mostly small idea trades, guys going here and there. (finally finding G Ben Bishop from Ottawa)

Fourth season 2013-14.
Team was heading to playoffs and ended up being 3rd best at East with 101 points.

- Yzerman had balls to trade his best point-scoring player Martin St. Louis away, for picks and Ryan Callahan. That's quite a move when you think of it. He took a seller's approach (as getting some futures), when the team was at "buy" mode and heading to playoffs. Callahan also changed a lot of the team identity, but NYR got the best player in Martin St.Louis, and reached the SC finals.

Fifth season 2014-15.
Team was 3rd again at East, with highest point totals under YZerman's tenure, ended up 108 points.

- Yzerman mostly was a seller (!) throughout the season.
- Trade deadline deal was Coburn for Gudas, same style of D, just for experienced one.
- Sold Brett Connolly for picks
- Sold Evgeni Nabokov for future considerations
- Sold Eric Brewer for 3rd round pick
- Sold Nate Thompson for 4th+7th
- Sold Gagner and Crombeer for 6th rounder

Team ended up to SC finals, and Yzerman was a seller. HE mostly promoted kids from Syracuse and send "dead weight" away.

So it can be anything. Playoffs or not playoffs, can buy either as a buyer or seller, no matter how the team is doing. Yzerman just makes trades, if there's an incentive to make it, make the team better, either long- or short-term.

Funny how at three different playoff-season at the deadline he was:
- Buyer at 2011
- Sold his best player at 2014
- Sold extra guys for picks like a non-playoff team, and ended up to 2015 SC-finals.

And at his two non-playoff seasons:
- Sold people for picks at 2012
- Bought his starting goalie for years at 2013 deadline.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I want the Wings to sell at the deadline. Anything that isn't in our future plans. If we get players/prospects back for them? Great. But under no circumstances are we in a position to move picks/prospects for anything we aren't keeping long term. f*** rentals.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I want the Wings to sell at the deadline. Anything that isn't in our future plans. If we get players/prospects back for them? Great. But under no circumstances are we in a position to move picks/prospects for anything we aren't keeping long term. f*** rentals.

Agreed with the point about rentals - unless you're trading players with no future (Zadina)
Chychrun, for example, would be a potential long term deal..

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think Yzerman doesn't have to aqcuire anyone at the TDL, maybe just send away the "dead weight"(Suter, Zadina, Oesterle, Hägg, Ned) and get couple mid/late round picks in the process. Vrana and/or Fabbri could be our TDL "acquisitions".

Since Chiasson signed a PTO deal with the Griffins and if he does well and specially he we have injuries in the bottom-6 department, i could see him getting signed.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't think this year is the year to give any futures away at the deadline. We are still sorely lacking in good young talent and more picks is the way to go. Regardless where we are at the TDL, we can't afford to lose Bertuzzi for nothing if he isn't coming back next year. I want us to get better for now and for the future, but we still need to be patient and realistic with where our team really is. We have had a weak schedule compared to most of the league and we still have suffered at least 4 blowouts this year, which means there is improvement needed.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think Yzerman doesn't have to aqcuire anyone at the TDL, maybe just send away the "dead weight"(Suter, Zadina, Oesterle, Hägg, Ned) and get couple mid/late round picks in the process. Vrana and/or Fabbri could be our TDL "acquisitions".
Man how far Ned has fallen and how quickly. I preferred Husso the second we acquired him, but was still hoping Ned would be a good 1B.

And he still may be. Lots of season left, plenty of time for Ned to bounce back. But yeah, he's been brutal so far.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Agreed with the point about rentals - unless you're trading players with no future (Zadina)
Chychrun, for example, would be a potential long term deal..
I don't like Chychrun, been always injured, just give me solid LD ,who could help Seider

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Trade for Luke Schenn

and…
wait for it…

Josh Anderson

Size/grit from both. They probably wouldn’t break the bank. Anderson makes Suter go bye bye and can bang on Rasmussen’s line or Joey V’s line.

Schenn is 3 RD and brings a steady defensive presence over Lindstrom and Oesterle.

If Schenn is pricey get David Savard. It helps out Montreal’s cap and gets Detroit similar quality depth.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I have a feeling we’ll be brought back down to planet earth the next few weeks
Yeah, but the question is.... is "planet earth" the rest of the way, combined with the points we banked in the first quarter, still enough to get us into the playoffs?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't think this year is the year to give any futures away at the deadline. We are still sorely lacking in good young talent and more picks is the way to go. Regardless where we are at the TDL, we can't afford to lose Bertuzzi for nothing if he isn't coming back next year. I want us to get better for now and for the future, but we still need to be patient and realistic with where our team really is. We have had a weak schedule compared to most of the league and we still have suffered at least 4 blowouts this year, which means there is improvement needed.
Assuming we’re still in the playoff hunt I’m not against a Mantha type trade for Bert. Some current NHL player who’s struggling a bit but has top 6potential (Vrana) +

I definitely don’t want him traded for just picks though. It’s time to play meaningful games in march.

I think this team really needs a 2C to push Copp down to the third line. Outside of that there aren’t many moves I would make

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Nobody. This team needs to keep using its cap room in the offseason and keep drafting well. No reason to trade young players in order to acquire other young players. That's not an improvement.

Oh, and maybe bring somebody in to teach Rasmussen to fight.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, but the question is.... is "planet earth" the rest of the way, combined with the points we banked in the first quarter, still enough to get us into the playoffs?

what banked points? the Wings are like 2-3 points from being out of the Playoffs right now it's not like they're leading the division or something

and two of the teams currently just outside of a Playoff spot are the Rangers and Panthers

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
what banked points? the Wings are like 2-3 points from being out of the Playoffs right now it's not like they're leading the division or something

and two of the teams currently just outside of a Playoff spot are the Rangers and Panthers
Banked points = the points they’ve literally accumulated thus far. That’s all. And it’s notable because it’s more points than most people expected through 20 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad