If we blew up the Hall of Fame

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Marcel Pronovost

I have never been sold on him. He always seemed to me like a passenger on great teams.

Marcel Pronovost was the number 2 d-man on the early fifties Red Wings dynasty behind Red Kelly yet he was strong enough defensively to allow the Red Wings to play Kelly at center. At this point you touch the 1, 1-A distinction as opposed to the usual gap between the # 1 and #2 from the era. Example the gap between Doug Harvey and Tom Johnson.

Granted, Tom Johnson won a Norris yet the gap betwen him and Harvey was greater than the gap between Kelly and Marcel Pronovost.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I have never been sold on him. He always seemed to me like a passenger on great teams.

Pronovost had to wait about 5 years after he was eligible to be inducted, so he wasn't exactly a slam dunk at the time.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I do get that Pronovost was good enough to make the current Hall. But if we revamped it to be to the specifications of this board, would he still be up to snuff?

Where does he rank among all-time defensemen? Top 30? Top 40?

Also I think a way to make it awesome would be to limit max player inductions per year to one.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Agree with Armstrong, but after JC Tremblay and Claude Provost.

I nominate Dick Duff as Captain of the Very Good. (Sorry Lanny)

If we're imagining some sort of elite, 150-player HHOF, then Duff would be far from the captain of the very good. Lanny, for example, was both better as a player and a leader.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I do get that Pronovost was good enough to make the current Hall. But if we revamped it to be to the specifications of this board, would he still be up to snuff?

Where does he rank among all-time defensemen? Top 30? Top 40?

Also I think a way to make it awesome would be to limit max player inductions per year to one.

Limiting max player inductions to one is ridiculous IMO. What about the year when Scott Stevens, Al MacInnis, and Mark Messier were all up at the same time?

As for Pronvost, I guess he's probably Top 40 or 50. But then he's not particular behind Bouchard in that way.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
A couple Leafs/guys who made careers elsewhere but had cups of coffee in Toronto...

Charlie Conacher
Dave Keon
Ted Kennedy
Syl Apps
Dickie Moore
Brian Leetch
George Hainsworth

Others:
Joe Malone
Bill Durnan
Georges Vezina

Obviously subjective, but there are some guys there that you absolutely cannot leave off the list.

If we're making this an exclusive club, then Hainsworth doesn't get my vote. Not just for winning what amounts to three Jennings trophies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Limiting max player inductions to one is ridiculous IMO. What about the year when Scott Stevens, Al MacInnis, and Mark Messier were all up at the same time?

It would make the Hall infinitely more prestigious. We wouldn't be inducting Federko and Gartner and Neely Gillies on off-years. The best eligible player each year would be inducted.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If we're imagining some sort of elite, 150-player HHOF, then Duff would be far from the captain of the very good. Lanny, for example, was both better as a player and a leader.

We are...and Dick Duff deserves to lead the very good out of that group. Lanny not far behind.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I think it would be an interesting experiment if the minds here actually created our own alternate HHOF for the real history buffs. Would anyone be up for that? Or is that a bit too much leg work without FissionFire around?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think it would be an interesting experiment if the minds here actually created our own alternate HHOF for the real history buffs. Would anyone be up for that? Or is that a bit too much leg work without FissionFire around?

Personally, I'd rather finish the Top 100 list... or start a new one and finish it.

Derick*

As for Pronvost, I guess he's probably Top 40 or 50. But then he's not particular behind Bouchard in that way.

Presumably you could induct them the next year. Only having one per retirement year would definitely be completely nuts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
We are...and Dick Duff deserves to lead the very good out of that group. Lanny not far behind.

I know what you mean... and Duff wouldn't be among the best players left out.

Someone already did that, and they did a very good job, too. http://www.chidlovski.com/wwhhof/index.htm

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
One of the most recent inductees is Mike Gartner - that kills it for me.

I know, I know.

I was looking through it really hard last night and when I look at some of the players who got a couple votes during the seasons where Bill Cowley struggled to get the extra 1-2 he needed to be inducted, I shuddered. There are some incredible names from the online world of hockey analysis and history on this panel, but at least a few of them made some inexcusable votes too.

I wonder if, instead of another top-100 so soon, we try a project like this.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I wonder if, instead of another top-100 so soon, we try a project like this.

I'm down.

The top 100 lists should really only go every 5 years or so anyways. There's so little difference year-by-year and the only real changes are due to fluctuations in the participant base.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Bob Goldham:

...The 2nd Goalie was the Defensive pillar of those Dynastic Detroit teams..There was a joke in Detroit that Terry Sawchuck should have shared His Vezinas with Goldham & Sawchuck would agree!..not just a shot blocking expert, no one ever played close to the vest , stay at home ``Defensive`` Defense like Bob Goldham...He excelled in the ultra tight Kitty Bar The Door style of Hockey that could be so prevalent during that era...Whoever chose Hy Buller over Goldham on that 1952 All Star team must have been ``Hy`` or perhaps Stan Fischler;)

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I thought about this seriously, but it already kind of exists.

And it would need some kind of discussion regarding procedure...

Derick*

Thread title is going to get you on a government watch list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad