If Vegas wins the cup will we see a shift in how winning teams are put together?

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
a team that relies on depth is not a new idea it's just hard to do. wonder if vegas opens some GMs eyes and we start seeing more trades. obvious there's tons of talent playing below their potential or buried depth.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the biggest effect Vegas' success will have is GM's will pay more attention to the tweener types and chemistry. But there is so much more to Vegas' success. It really has been a lightning in a bottle run for them. Having Fleury sure has helped though. But everyone knew a really good goalie can always take you far that's nothing new.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
If I was an owner or GM I'd be waiting to see what happens next year before making any shifts in my philosophy. Assembling a rag tag crew with a plan of "everything goes perfect and beat the odds" seems like a quick way to become perennial lottery contenders.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
The business makeup of the league will have more influence in how a GM builds a roster year to year. The idea that has been settled on after 12 years of a cap league is that you want a core of franchise players that are signed longterm and make up the face of the team, and then a supporting cast of underappreciated grinders, rookies on ELCs, and replaceable parts. The way contracts work in this league doesn't really allow you to have a Vegas-like roster after the expansion year. The only way to have a Vegas-like roster is to intentionally avoid star players. Once you have one, you're going to sign him to a very expensive and very long contract, and then you're a regular NHL franchise.

Reactions: NickH8 and Pookie

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I think the shift in how teams are built already happened, with goon 4th lines disappearing and the league getting smaller. Vegas learned from Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Penguins won the last 2 cups because of depth. They botched the off season and we ended up with an absolutely abysmal fourth line and now we are done.

Although, the Caps don’t really have a lot of depth on their third and fourth line. Depth in the lineup isn’t really a secret though.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It will have no effect.

VGK will have to play in the salary cap world like the rest.

30 goal scorers get paid. Top draft picks get paid. Or they walk.

You then have a squeeze on the mid tier player.

Unless that system changes, VGK will fall in line.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
It seems that not just in hockey but in any sport (well, maybe the NBA) there's no such thing as one size fits all when buidling a winner. I doubt it'll change too much.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Some teams will try to emulate the success of the cup winner by nature. Some teams tried to emphasize toughness in response to the Bruins and Kings winning the cup; other teams have tried to emphasize speed and skill in response to the Blackhawks and Penguins winning the cup.

If Vegas wins, teams may try to emphasize depth and chemistry.

Well... more like depth, chemistry and hoping half the team has a career year all at once.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I think the style of play that Vegas (and the Pens for that matter) started with Chicago. They played a similar high-tempo speed game during their cup wins. Except that they only had 1 line able to do it.

Penguins took that and applied it all 4 lines. Pens also proved that you don't need a #1 D to win (in 2016).

Vegas is taking it up a another notch and saying you can do it without superstars which both Pens/Hawks have.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The only lesson you should learn here is that there's not always some massive gulf in talent between the guys who currently have their roster spots and the guys who are knocking at the door.

So basically nothing we haven't seen before. Veteran obsession can obscure and stifle the development of viable youth.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think next year we'll be seeing Vegas fluke posts by illpucks and a general consensus that yeah they did f*** up the expansion draft.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think in the end the most sustainable way to win is to get star players. The reason Vegas is so good is because all of the players bought into the system and they all play hard. I know that isn't the analytical answer that everyone is looking for, but sometimes the truth is that simple.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Vegas just reconfirms that speed is the way to go these days. They might open some eyes in terms of how to use that speed on the defensive side of things, if Pittsburgh did not do so already in the past couple seasons.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Some Interesting thoughts form GM's on this...
Golden Knights success seen as positive for NHL by GMs, executives

"As far as being a GM that's been around a little bit longer, I don't look at it that way," St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. "I think it's great for the League, and we always want what's best for the League in our business.

"I think it's going to open up some avenues that we can talk to our players about. A team that had no egos, a coach that didn't have to work around players' expectations of ice time, they were able to roll four lines and nobody slammed the door coming off because they didn't get what they needed or break a stick because they're not on the power play or break a stick when they're not on the PK or those things experienced players take for granted. And you're seeing the rewards of a selfless team."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad