Proposal: If Vancouver was going to Rebuild (Proposals)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nah, that's quantity for quality, bet it worked pretty well in NHL 23 though.

I know Vancouver games happen after your bedtime, so I'll just assume this is a troll post - Petey has pretty good 2-way numbers and is currently 12th in league scoring (just ahead of this Marner guy, whoever that is).

He got 60-75% offensive zone starts every year but this one so far, I would hope he's not getting caved in when he's being fed soft minutes.

He is what he is at this point, a 70-something point C (if healthy) who would make a good 2C on an actual contender. The 100+ point guy Vancouver fans tried to convince us he was just isn't going to happen.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
No offense to the Vancouver fans but I thought Petterson wanted out? Why would he want to stay during a rebuild?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Did you read my initial post?
Laba, a 4th less regarded than a 2nd + 3rd, was noted as 10 pts in 10 games or something like that.
While we should not make more or less of those pieces than what they actually are, they are not low value except the throw in Pajuneimi

and to answer your question, after correcting that same, while not elte, are not "lower tier" the answer is depth.
Pod may or may not break out
This type of deal helps reverse win now rental binges adding youth
AHL depth?

I really doubt Vancouver wants to trade Podkolzin and a 2nd for AHL depth.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
AHL depth?

I really doubt Vancouver wants to trade Podkolzin and a 2nd for AHL depth.
this disingenuous mischaracterization needs to be rebuffed.
guys like Welinski and to a lesser extent cup o coffee guys like Gettinger and Brodzinski, THESE re legit career AHLers who qualify for title you erroneously gave "AHL depth".

clearly Pod is starting to exit prospect status, he continues to show legit upside potential, while obv not setting the world on fire so far.

Other than 1 throw in = a useful body you might catch lightning in a bottle but no biggie from valuation standpoint, I am replacing 1 somewhat more developed youth with 3 prospects. That they are not in NHL right now and getting mins does not mean they are devoid of an NHL future and should be viewed as AHL depth.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
this disingenuous mischaracterization needs to be rebuffed.
guys like Welinski and to a lesser extent cup o coffee guys like Gettinger and Brodzinski, THESE re legit career AHLers who qualify for title you erroneously gave "AHL depth".

clearly Pod is starting to exit prospect status, he continues to show legit upside potential, while obv not setting the world on fire so far.

Other than 1 throw in = a useful body you might catch lightning in a bottle but no biggie from valuation standpoint, I am replacing 1 somewhat more developed youth with 3 prospects. That they are not in NHL right now and getting mins does not mean they are devoid of an NHL future and should be viewed as AHL depth.
Those three guys li
Rangers may find Podkolzin a worthwhile experiment as he seems to be a good fit at the right price. Another scoring W -- which he may/may not be/be anytime soon -- is useful, and I could see him and Krav benefiting from same team/lines.

I haven't got this fully worked out and that VAN has zero cap is a prob
also NY does not have lots of cap available
but that not yet withstanding, my thinking is
SOMETHING LIKE;

Lauri Pajuniemi, RW, 2018 5th rounder, 6'0, 196
Adam Sykora, W, 2022 2nd rounder, 5'11, 172
BMB (Bryce McConnell-Barker), C, 2022 3rd rounder, 6'1, 194
Noah Laba, C, 2022 4th rounder, 6'2" 190

for
Podkolzin former 10OA, W, 6'1, 190, 2 yrs elc rem
VAN 2023 2nd + NYR 4th returned

this is a bit of a crapshoot, but while a small sample size, Laba got noticed this wk on a Rangers broadcast for 10 pts in 10 games. Sykora + BMB, drafter earlier, obv more highly rated. LP has shown flashes but not enuf to break thru but w/Rangers depth chart, that's understandable.

basically, this is youth for youth
Rangers would gamble they have enuf prospects they can overpay to consolidate upside, and that Pod will be worth it and they can replace existing prospects w/two 2023 picks.

VAN would be getting LP for now and get 3 good bodies for the future.

I expect others will call for higher assets immediately useful, but I think this is better a year-ish down the road. 'nucks took a coupla shots over recent years, and this replenishment of prospect pool makes sense.

Curious as to how to make this work cap wise...
vancouver says no easily.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
The time to rebuild was when Rutherford/Allvin took over. We have 5 tiers of players in my mind, not counting prospects like Lekkerimakki, Klimovich, Lockwood, Karlsson, Johansson and even Rathbone, Woo and Silovs.

The "take what you can get, even cap dumps on shorter contracts" tier of players:
Myers, OEL, Pearson, Dermott (LTIR), Poolman (LTIR), Stillman, Ferland (LTIR)
The "if we get a decent/reasonable (2nd+young roster player/prospect+) return" tier of players:
Boeser, Miller(+), Garland(+), Schenn, Hoglander
The "if we get a good return (1st+good prospect) if they're intent on not resigning" tier of players:
Horvat, Kuzmenko
The "it will take a colossal haul of just the right pieces" tier of players:
Pettersson, Hughes, Demko

And the "might as well keep them unless the return is heavily weighted in our favor because of their cheap contracts and/or new status on the team" or "wildcard" tier of players:
Bear, Burroughs, Lazar, Joshua, Studnicka, Aman, Podkolzin, Mikheyev (fresh UFA signing status only), Martin
These guys are worth next to nothing, but simply won't get us enough back to merit the logistics of replacing them at present/future cap hits. That or they're new additions to the team as UFA and would be a bad look. Take a crack if someone really gets you excited though.

Assuming we are focused exclusively on futures, anyone have a proposal for a piece they like?
(Kerfoot, Holl and Engvall need not apply)
This is a spot on eval of the liklihood of players moving, and their value
Im really hoping for miller / myers / pearson to be moved, or a complete rebuild
But im not unrealistic about values

To the nyr proposal, it makes no sense for them to move one of their better younger (cost-controlled) AND picks for a handful of lower drafted prospects

We should absolutely be accumulating picks, not moving them out

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This is a spot on eval of the liklihood of players moving, and their value
Im really hoping for miller / myers / pearson to be moved, or a complete rebuild
But im not unrealistic about values
If we can find a way to move OEL too, we'd be in the best situation possible.

I'm likely a little high on some of the players, Schenn and Kuzmenko for example, but if we don't get something great, why bother moving them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad