Proposal: If Vancouver was going to Rebuild (Proposals)

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
OK............. I just want to see if I am in the ball park.

#1..............Pettersson to Columbus for Juricek, 2023 1st (top 5 protected) , and a Plus????

#2..............Hughes to New Jersey for Nemec and 2023 1st (top 8 protected)

#3...............Kuzmenko at 50% retained (2022-2023) to Washington for Lapierre and 2024 1st

#4..............Horvat (signed) (50% retained 2022-2023) and Rathbone to Detroit for Edvinsson and 2023 1st

#5...............Miller (50% retained 2022-2023) to Boston for 2024 1st and Lysell

#6...............Demko to Minnesota for Gustavsson, Lambos, and 2023 1st

Yes, this is definitely scorched earth, and alot of Vancouver fans think we are close, but we are not, and I do not feel we will be in 2 or 3 years, mainly due to Cap restraints. IMO, these 6 players can play on any team in the league and have value.

We will also be moving on from Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, and Myers next year, at the TDL for prospects and picks. (albeit lesser returns)

Some say this would never happen, but I say tell that to Arizona and Chicago, and earlier on Ottawa. It happens, and it will continue to happen.

We will also be interested in Cap dumps, after we have moved these players...............and would entertain short Cap dumps as part of any of the above trades.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It won't happen because this team doesn't want a rebuild. And even if they did, they wouldn't trade all of their players in one swoop for a bunch of prospects. They still have to give the season ticket holders a reason the come to the rink. Any rebuild will be a slow and unintentional one. Like this season, they'll likely be forced to trade Horvat at the deadline and possibly Kuzmenko and Schenn as well. They'll get some good draft picks and maybe a prospect or two. Next deadline, they'll finally be able to trade Myers and Pearson if they are still on the roster. And Boeser the following season. It's going to be a long wait.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Why do people think that a pending UFA like Horvat would sign with a team so that the team could trade him for a higher value? Every year people bring these kind of proposals up, but is there ever a circumstance where a team signs their own pending UFA only to immediately trade him that season?

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle

#1..............Pettersson to Columbus for Juricek, 2023 1st (top 5 protected) , and a Plus????

#3...............Kuzmenko at 50% retained (2022-2023) to Washington for Lapierre and 2024 1st

#4..............Horvat (signed) (50% retained 2022-2023) and Rathbone to Detroit for Edvinsson and 2023 1st

#5...............Miller (50% retained 2022-2023) to Boston for 2024 1st and Lysell

Yes, this is definitely scorched earth, and alot of Vancouver fans think we are close, but we are not, and I do not feel we will be in 2 or 3 years, mainly due to Cap restraints. IMO, these 6 players can play on any team in the league and have value.

We will also be moving on from Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, and Myers next year, at the TDL for prospects and picks. (albeit lesser returns)

Some say this would never happen, but I say tell that to Arizona and Chicago, and earlier on Ottawa. It happens, and it will continue to happen.

We will also be interested in Cap dumps, after we have moved these players...............and would entertain short Cap dumps as part of any of the above trades.
This is a pretty good post and pretty accurate value. For me personally though, I'd focus on Canucks and Columbus. They would make excellent trading partners:

-BJ's, with Gaudreau and Laine, are in win-now mode.

-Canucks need to increase their cap space, rebuild, and hopefully have a relatively quick turn-around.

-How good would CBJ look with Pettersson,Hughes, Horvat Kuzemko, and Demko?

-How good would the Canucks' future look with Jiriceck, Johnson, Sillinger, Chinakhov, and Tarasov, while taking on temporary cap dumps such as Voraceck, Gudbranson (lol), and other over-priced vets?

CBJ joins Boston, Vegas, Colorado, and Tampa as cup contenders. Nucks completely replenish their prospect pool while significantly increasing their chances at landing Bedard.

-Crazy? Yes. Looney talk? Yes. Not even EA Sports worthy? You bet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That Detroit trade immediately jumped out to me as being absolutely f***ing awful....

But you know what, the more I look at all of them, the more every single deal looks f***ing terrible for the team that isn't Vancouver.

You're basically asking for every teams very best, A/A+ tier prospect. Nobody trades those level of prospects. Nobody. And on top of that you want 1st round picks from mediocre or bad teams.

This is truly a master class in absolutely awful trade proposals.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Outside of bedard and fantilli who do you think even has a chance to become a high end #1 C

The irony is Pettersson himself was 5th in his draft year (and the third center taken), a draft class which was considered FAR weaker than this one by a lot of scouts. So it's not that there's going to be a list of centers after Fantilli and Bedard that are definitely going to be better, it's that you have no earthly clue which of these centers will be as good or better than Pettersson or where they'll get taken

You’re not getting a center of Peteys calibre this draft unless you’re picking top 2

yet you stated very matter of factly that there won't be any.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
The irony is Pettersson himself was 5th in his draft year (and the third center taken), a draft class which was considered FAR weaker than this one by a lot of scouts. So it's not that there's going to be a list of centers after Fantilli and Bedard that are definitely going to be better, it's that you have no earthly clue which of these centers will be as good or better than Pettersson or where they'll get taken

Petey is the outlier, he’s always had high potential but he was too skinny. It’s more likely you’re going to end up with a barret hayton or kotkaniemi so why not just take the sure thing instead.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would do every trade except the Demko and Petey ones (and no retain on miller)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Or as Detroit, we just wait for Horvat to hit UFA and try to sign him and if that fails go somewhere else. I'm not going to act like we don't need Horvat and Rathbone's a good player, but we're not going to deal Edvinsson and a 1st for them.

Edit: However, if it really were a 50% retained Horvat (signed 8x8, so 8x4, really) and Rathbone for the same return, I'd have a hard time turning down a half-price 1C and another good piece.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yeah Washington isn’t trading the equivalent of two Late 1sts for Kuzmenko based on a handful of games. That 2024 1st is unlikely to be traded at all with so much uncertainty around Returning/Retiring Vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad