If there is a Canadian division, predict standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did you forget the Canucks replaced Tanev with Nate Schmdt?
Tanev played every game, and had a career year. Marky had a career year. Schmidt is okay, but he’s not even close to
Tanev without the puck. Holtby is a huge step down from Marky. I’m predicting (as things are now) the Canucks finish below .500 and next to last in a Canadian division. They will be 10 - 20 points behind the Oilers, and 20 - 30 behind the Leafs and Flames. Benning has created an overpaid group of old boys, who are really quite bad. The team has Petey, Hughes, Bo, and Boeser. After those young guys, there is a sharp drop off in talent. Next season will be a very hard one on Canuck’s fans (like me).

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is Vancouver your second Montreal, so sixth? I totally agree.

Lol I changed my order. I’m sure my opinion will change several times before the season opens.

Every single team has their flaws in the Canadian. Could be a fun division

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Assuming a 48 game schedule, I'd imagine the standings would shake out something like this:

Toronto - 61
Edmonton - 57
Calgary - 53
Winnipeg - 53
Montreal - 51
Vancouver - 49
Ottawa - 37

Ottawa is clearly the worst team, I don't think anybody is contesting that. I (and most people in this thread) seem to see Toronto and Edmonton as the top teams. The other four seem like a bit of a crapshoot to me.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
A little compilation of the serious lists on the first two pages of this thread, to get a sense of the general consensus (if there is one)

Team1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th
CGY 1 15542
EDM833 211
MTL3 3254 1
OTT 1 116
TOR572 1 3
VAN 54234
WPG1216431
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Average
EDM - 2.33
TOR - 2.61
VAN - 3.83
CGY - 4.06
MTL - 4.22
WPG - 4.28
OTT - 6.83

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Don't get the Montreal hype AT ALL. Or Toronto tbh and I'll back that up with facts.

Montreal had 1 more win then the Sabres last year, and played 2 more games, they were worse then Buffalo in regulation, also not sure how good Toronto is, they had just 6 more wins then Buffalo and have replaced Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Jonson, Tyson Barrie, Tyler Ennis, with a 60 yr old Thornton, Vesey (who is absolute JUNK) Simmonds, who might be decent for grit-depth but also past his better days, TJ Brodie (Solid but really the top pair guy they need to be a contender? Especially with Muzzin-Holl as your 2nd unit. Oh yea they ADDED DELL for the third goalie spot and have Micheyev in their top six. I'll reference my team again since their the punching bag, he and maybe even Hyman (if he doesen't have Matthews) woudn't crack Buffalo's top 6 which is strange consdiering the Leafs are known for offense)... Also Tavares, Anderson are both a year older ala Price-Weber. The Habs also gained Josh Anderson and Toffoli replacing them with Domi. Oh yeah adding also other depth pieces like Edmundson and Allen who can both be solid but lets be honest here, the Blues were Never a good team because of those guys. You could make an argument Allen held back GOOD-Great Blues teams actually...

That being said Montreal does have a lot of good youth, and Leafs do seem more well rounded (You can at least SEE what the GM's are trying to do) Whether either team is significantly better, I have my doubts.

I fully believe the Oilers will be better with McDrai closer to prime, especially if used on 2 lines and I like their back end more then before. The Jets are an unknown to me in the middle sort of like Vancouver so I would put the Habs and Leafs in this pack, since the Jets COULD hyptothetically bounce back with Stastny and that goaltending with top forward names but the D has missed steps. That's why I say unknown, and Couver lost Toffoli and a guy who finished top 12 in Hart Trophy voting in net (and high in vezina voting) I get Demko could be ready and looked great in the playoffs stealing Games 5 and 6, but you could make both the it was one year, and the they lost a lot argument, OR you could say their young core will get better which again is why I feel both will be in that middle pack. I understand they added Holtby who may be the perfect 50/50 guy for Demko if not all the way there but I also saw Brayden;s game in recent years drop pretty low on a top team so we'll have to see how this goes.

Then Ottawa who has good pieces but should be the worst.

SO I would go Alberta Teams, gun to my head Calgary?

and one of middle pack for top 3

The Middle Pack in any order really.

Ottawa

Would like to add I am mainly pointing out differences and things that may have people talking about how it improves these teams, where as I see it as, is this REALLY improving the team, or is it an excited fanbase (IT's Canadian Markets afterall) Ovely optimistic about the off-season moves with the ANything can happen in a new year mentality.

LOL, just realizing every teams fabase will likely hate this post because the 2 teams I put at the top (praising) both hate the other so even they would be mad. Oh well.

I’ll address the Leafs related points:

I get why you’re using Buffalo as a comparison as that is your team, but a couple of interesting thoughts you have.

First off, you might lose some credibility by giving a list of names the Leafs lost and replaced, and having Ennis among them. He played zero games with the Leafs last year. You’re thinking of two years ago.

The Leafs dealt players from positions of strength (the wings) in order to shed salary to add players to their lineup and stock cupboards that were getting a little bit bare. The Kapanen trade did that by acquiring a 1st and prospect. Moving Johnsson was a salary move that allowed flexibility. Not the biggest fan of that one but it needed to happen.

Adding Brodie was a huge get. Gives the team its best partner for Rielly that he’s ever had. It’s kinda sad that old man Hainsey was the best we could do prior to Ceci who makes me want to vomit. Muzzin is a great anchor for the second pair, but I think it will end up being Dermott playing on his right side which has already been indicated. The team also signed Lehtonen who is looking really promising overseas. With a combination of him, Bogosian, Holl, Sandin, and Liljegren, the bottom pair and depth pieces are looking quite solid to go with what should be the best top 4 this team has had in years.

Regarding the forwards - While the high end depth has been lost off of the wings, the Leafs have retained their top 6 group and all of their centres. What they added were a number of veteran pieces and competition for spots in the bottom 6. They still have Kerfoot, Spezza, Engvall as regulars from last year’s bottom 6, and will have Robertson, Simmonds, Thornton, Malgin, Vesey, Anderson, Barabanov, and Boyd all vying for positions as well.

You could say that none of those listed guys have the same talent level of Kapanen and Johnsson, (though I would say Robertson certainly will challenge that with age), but that might not be what the team needs in the bottom half of the lineup. Kapanen was disappointing against Columbus with 2 assists in 5 games and Johnsson was not a factor in the single game he played. If Vesey sucks, which he might, then he won’t last. The team doesn’t need to rely on him with how many others they have waiting for a spot.

Oh and as far as the whole top 6 comment goes - Mikheyev had as many points as $9M Skinner did last season - as a rookie - playing 20 fewer games. I’m more than comfortable with him playing in the top 6. Prior to his hand cut injury he was getting better and better, and I think he is really going to cement himself next season. Also Hyman would have been the 4th highest scoring forward on the Sabres each of the last two seasons and would have been third on your team in goals last year. He has definitely earned himself top 6 status with what he brings to the table all around. I didn’t think he would ever belong that high in the lineup after his first full season but all he does is continue to be relentless.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Toronto
Edmonton
---
Montreal
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg
---
Ottawa

Middle four could go any way really

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Should look something like this :

tenor.gif

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I couldn’t even fathom a guess how it would end up. Nothing would surprise me if this division happens. It will be tight from top bottom and a wild ride imho.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Toronto
Edmonton

Calgary

Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver

Ottawa

Teams that are in the same tier could be switched around.

Reactions: MessierII

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton (part wishful thinking)
Winnipeg
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
Ottawa
Calgary (part wishful thinking)

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Don't get the Montreal hype AT ALL. Or Toronto tbh and I'll back that up with facts. That being said Toronto should stay in the playoffs if it's say 4/7.

Montreal had 1 more win then the Sabres last year, and played 2 more games, they were worse then Buffalo in regulation, also not sure how good Toronto is, they had just 6 more wins then Buffalo and have replaced Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Jonson, Tyson Barrie, Tyler Ennis, with a 60 yr old Thornton, Vesey (who is absolute JUNK) Simmonds, who might be decent for grit-depth but also past his better days, TJ Brodie (Solid but really the top pair guy they need to be a contender? Especially with Muzzin-Holl as your 2nd unit. Oh yea they ADDED DELL for the third goalie spot and have Micheyev in their top six. I'll reference my team again since their the punching bag, he and maybe even Hyman (if he doesen't have Matthews) woudn't crack Buffalo's top 6 which is strange consdiering the Leafs are known for offense)... Also Tavares, Anderson are both a year older ala Price-Weber. The Habs also gained Josh Anderson and Toffoli replacing them with Domi. Oh yeah adding also other depth pieces like Edmundson and Allen who can both be solid but lets be honest here, the Blues were Never a good team because of those guys. You could make an argument Allen held back GOOD-Great Blues teams actually...

That being said Montreal does have a lot of good youth, and Leafs do seem more well rounded (You can at least SEE what the GM's are trying to do) Whether either team is significantly better, I have my doubts.

I fully believe the Oilers will be better with McDrai closer to prime, especially if used on 2 lines and I like their back end more then before. The Jets are an unknown to me in the middle sort of like Vancouver so I would put the Habs and Leafs in this pack, since the Jets COULD hyptothetically bounce back with Stastny and that goaltending with top forward names but the D has missed steps. That's why I say unknown, and Couver lost Toffoli and a guy who finished top 12 in Hart Trophy voting in net (and high in vezina voting) I get Demko could be ready and looked great in the playoffs stealing Games 5 and 6, but you could make both the it was one year, and the they lost a lot argument, OR you could say their young core will get better which again is why I feel both will be in that middle pack. I understand they added Holtby who may be the perfect 50/50 guy for Demko if not all the way there but I also saw Brayden;s game in recent years drop pretty low on a top team so we'll have to see how this goes.

Then Ottawa who has good pieces but should be the worst.

SO I would go Alberta Teams, gun to my head Calgary?

and one of middle pack for top 3

The Middle Pack in any order really.

Ottawa

Would like to add I am mainly pointing out differences and things that may have people talking about how it improves these teams, where as I see it as, is this REALLY improving the team, or is it an excited fanbase (IT's Canadian Markets afterall) Ovely optimistic about the off-season moves with the ANything can happen in a new year mentality.

LOL, just realizing every teams fanbase will likely hate this post because the 2 teams I put at the top (praising) both hate the other so even they would be mad. Oh well.

I'm reading this post and all I am getting is a convoluted piece on why I dislike Toronto and Montreal and hope they fail. Hyman has proven to be an excellent top 6 player who is exactly the type of player the Leafs need more of to balance their roster. Micheyev has also exceeded expectations and has worked well beside Tavares. This is the best defensive Unit the Leafs have had in years and the short comings of the bottom 6 are exaggerated. Again more predictions based on the dream that teams fail rather than educated opinions.

Predictions

Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Montreal are all interchangeable and I am not getting into a bias ego contest of who is best. Too many variables at play. I think this is a dream come true for most Canadian fans as the disdain and dislike for one another runs deep across this country. More games than not are going to be fun for the fans if this division becomes a reality.

Last until proven otherwise Ottawa.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
1. Edmonton
2. Calgary
3. Winnipeg
4. Toronto
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. Ottawa

But it's fairly close among the top 6, honestly any order among those 6 wouldn't really surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad