HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
1. Edmonton/Vancouver
2. Calgary/Toronto/Winnipeg

3. Montreal
4. Ottawa

I’m fairly confident on the bottom two but the top five will all be close imo.

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
As of right now
  • Toronto/Vancouver
  • Calgary/Edmonton/Montreal/Winnipeg
  • Ottawa
I would be most surprised if Toronto and/or Vancouver missed the playoffs, and if Ottawa made them. Other than that I think it's a dog fight.

Reactions: The Missing Piece

TheNeutralPresident

Feb 29, 2020
The Neutral Planet
1. Leafs - solid long as they don't regress.
2. Oilers - Without Klefbom this is a risk but with their offseason improvements I can see it, they need Koskinen to stay consistent.
3. Flames - Improved in the net but still lack game breakers. Could easily flip flop either way.
4. Jets - Would hope their D is used to what they are now and Helly continues being a vezina candidate.
5. Canucks - One of the worst offseasons in the league but could surprise if Holtby time travels.
6. Habs - Was tempted to put them higher but they scream meh. Will be an interesting team to watch,
7. Sens - most obvious pick but my god are they loaded for the future.

In other words 1 through 6 is up for grabs #indepthanalysis

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This division would be a crapshoot on paper. I don't see too much seperation either way.

I expect Ottawa at the bottom. Maybe Toronto at the top if I had to pick one, but generally, I might as well draw names out of a hat for this.

Another factor to consider here are the timezones. How much do they become a factor? In that sense, the eastern teams might have some sort of an advantage, but all teams in this division might be worse off in the long run when they play other teams down the road who are in more localized divisions.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Regular season (Hellebuyck regresses, Holtby bounces back, and highly paid scorers gonna score):
Leafs
Oil
Canucks
Canadiens
Flames
Jets
Sens

Leafs and Oilers both lose in the first round of the playoffs and Price leads the Canadiens to the all Canada Stanley Cup.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Flames
Leafs/Canucks
Cancuks/Leafs
Oilers
Jets
Habs
Sens

Laughable that a lot of people have the 24th ranked team consistently top 4. Domi is a better player than Anderson and or Toffoli.
How in heck is Van better than the Oilers? Van took two big steps backwards losing Marky and Tanev, who both just had career years. Plus add the loss of Tofoli and Stecher, and that’s a team headed the wrong way. The Oilers at least stood pat. No chance the Canucks finish higher than Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
How in heck is Van better than the Oilers? Van took two big steps backwards losing Marky and Tanev, who both just had career years. Plus add the loss of Tofoli and Stecher, and that’s a team headed the wrong way. The Oilers at least stood pat. No chance the Canucks finish higher than Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary.

Canucks had Toffoli for 10 games or did you forget? He's not a loss at all he was a rental and he did nothing in the playoffs until the Vegas series as he was injured. Stecher is a bottom pairing Dmen that's easily replaceable and Tanev was a mediocre top 4 Dmen who they upgraded on with a top 40 Dmen in the league in Schmidt. Canucks stayed the same at forward, upgraded on D and downgraded in Net.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Canucks had Toffoli for 10 games or did you forget? He's not a loss at all he was a rental and he did nothing in the playoffs until the Vegas series as he was injured. Stecher is a bottom pairing Dmen that's easily replaceable and Tanev was medicore top 4 Dmen who they upgraded on with a top 40 Dmen in the league in Schmidt. Canucks stayed the same at forward, upgraded on D and downgraded in Net.

Oilers stayed the same in net, a downgrade (to be seen) on D (but youth pushing) and made huge upgrades up front. A 2nd line winger (that finally allows both McD and Drai to have decent line mates at the same time = HUGE), and an entire 3rd line solves the depth problem they had.

And they finished above Van last season to begin with.

This division is going to built around offense... I don't think there is a D-core that can contain Edm or Tor's forwards, both teams will shred on GF, defense be damned.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks had Toffoli for 10 games or did you forget? He's not a loss at all he was a rental and he did nothing in the playoffs until the Vegas series as he was injured. Stecher is a bottom pairing Dmen that's easily replaceable and Tanev was a mediocre top 4 Dmen who they upgraded on with a top 40 Dmen in the league in Schmidt. Canucks stayed the same at forward, upgraded on D and downgraded in Net.
As a Canuck’s fan since their inception, I hope you’re right. But Marky and Tanev had career years. Stecher played a lot of valuable minutes. Tofoli, although only a rental, is far better than Loui Eriksson, who is the guy he replaced in the top six. Imo Van finishes sixth in a Canadian division.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Oilers stayed the same in net, a downgrade (to be seen) on D (but youth pushing) and made huge upgrades up front. A 2nd line winger (that finally allows both McD and Drai to have decent line mates at the same time = HUGE), and an entire 3rd line solves the depth problem they had.

And they finished above Van last season to begin with.

This division is going to built around offense... I don't think there is a D-core that can contain Edm or Tor's forwards, both teams will shred on GF, defense be damned.

I don't have confidence in that D-core especially if the reports out of EDM on Klef are true and unlikely to repeat special team success.

As a Canuck’s fan since their inception, I hope you’re right. But Marky and Tanev had career years. Stecher played a lot of valuable minutes. Tofoli, although only a rental, is far better than Loui Eriksson, who is the guy he replaced in the top six. Imo Van finishes sixth in a Canadian division.

In the 10 games Tofoli played for the Canucks they were under .500 and in both playoff series win he played in exactly zero Canucks wins regardless of what you say he isn't this big loss you're making him out to be. Stecher plays 15 minutes a night and rarely plays on the PK what valuable minutes do you speak of? Regardless of if Tanev had a career year he's still a MASSIVE downgrade on NS. The only real loss is Markstrom and Canucks have a history of great goaltenders so I'm not so worried with Demko.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Don't get the Montreal hype AT ALL. Or Toronto tbh and I'll back that up with facts. That being said Toronto should stay in the playoffs if it's say 4/7.

Montreal had 1 more win then the Sabres last year, and played 2 more games, they were worse then Buffalo in regulation, also not sure how good Toronto is, they had just 6 more wins then Buffalo and have replaced Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Jonson, Tyson Barrie, Tyler Ennis, with a 60 yr old Thornton, Vesey (who is absolute JUNK) Simmonds, who might be decent for grit-depth but also past his better days, TJ Brodie (Solid but really the top pair guy they need to be a contender? Especially with Muzzin-Holl as your 2nd unit. Oh yea they ADDED DELL for the third goalie spot and have Micheyev in their top six. I'll reference my team again since their the punching bag, he and maybe even Hyman (if he doesen't have Matthews) woudn't crack Buffalo's top 6 which is strange consdiering the Leafs are known for offense)... Also Tavares, Anderson are both a year older ala Price-Weber. The Habs also gained Josh Anderson and Toffoli replacing them with Domi. Oh yeah adding also other depth pieces like Edmundson and Allen who can both be solid but lets be honest here, the Blues were Never a good team because of those guys. You could make an argument Allen held back GOOD-Great Blues teams actually...

That being said Montreal does have a lot of good youth, and Leafs do seem more well rounded (You can at least SEE what the GM's are trying to do) Whether either team is significantly better, I have my doubts.

I fully believe the Oilers will be better with McDrai closer to prime, especially if used on 2 lines and I like their back end more then before. The Jets are an unknown to me in the middle sort of like Vancouver so I would put the Habs and Leafs in this pack, since the Jets COULD hyptothetically bounce back with Stastny and that goaltending with top forward names but the D has missed steps. That's why I say unknown, and Couver lost Toffoli and a guy who finished top 12 in Hart Trophy voting in net (and high in vezina voting) I get Demko could be ready and looked great in the playoffs stealing Games 5 and 6, but you could make both the it was one year, and the they lost a lot argument, OR you could say their young core will get better which again is why I feel both will be in that middle pack. I understand they added Holtby who may be the perfect 50/50 guy for Demko if not all the way there but I also saw Brayden;s game in recent years drop pretty low on a top team so we'll have to see how this goes.

Then Ottawa who has good pieces but should be the worst.

SO I would go Alberta Teams, gun to my head Calgary?

and one of middle pack for top 3

The Middle Pack in any order really.

Ottawa

Would like to add I am mainly pointing out differences and things that may have people talking about how it improves these teams, where as I see it as, is this REALLY improving the team, or is it an excited fanbase (IT's Canadian Markets afterall) Ovely optimistic about the off-season moves with the ANything can happen in a new year mentality.

LOL, just realizing every teams fanbase will likely hate this post because the 2 teams I put at the top (praising) both hate the other so even they would be mad. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubikscube

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Coincidentally, the Oilers also had the best record out of all Canadian teams last season.

Still didn't make the playoffs though.

...the addition of Barrie does not fill me with confidence.

And he should know, he's a Leafs fan and saw plenty of Barrie.

Laughable that a lot of people have the 24th ranked team consistently top 4. Domi is a better player than Anderson and or Toffoli.

Well we made the playoffs last year and most think we got better in this off-season.

Anywho I wouldn't be surprised if both EDM and T.O. ran away with it and still get bounced in the first round. I expected the Habs to get in the playoffs in this upcoming season with the Wildcard and make some noise. To be honest anything less than a second round appearance would be a disappointment.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Did you forget the Canucks replaced Tanev with Nate Schmdt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad