If the Top 100 players All-time list is redone today, where does McDavid's career place him?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
i am foreseeing a potvin/fedorov situation where kucherov leads his team in scoring again for the third straight year en route to a third straight cup, but the oilers make the finals so mcdavid wins the conn smythe because a billion points

The Conn Smythe Trophy is an annual award given "to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs." The winner is selected by the Professional Hockey Writers Association at the conclusion of the last game in the Stanley Cup Final.

NHL Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

The only reason the Oilers have made it this far is McDavid and Drai on one leg.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Let's play: The "What if?" Extreme Scenario Game! Ding ding ding ding!

What if the Oilers go 7 in the next series. McDavid scoops up 14+ points. He's at 40 points, but the Oilers lose game 7. The next non-Oiler scorer is Nikita Kucherov at 15 points, currently. Let's get him five more. So, going into the Final. The best non-Oiler scorer has half as many points as McDavid's 40.

If it's the Blues that advance - they've been back and forth on goalies. Maybe Carolina turns to Freddy Andersen at some point. I guess Vasilevskiy will be high on the ballot if Kucherov only scored so much and they advanced. But anyhow...let's say it all breaks right where no one is doing anything amazing...can you possibly, even a little bit, justify a Conn Smythe to someone who didn't make the Final if he's so, so far ahead of the pack...?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

What if the Oilers go 7 in the next series. McDavid scoops up 14+ points. He's at 40 points, but the Oilers lose game 7. The next non-Oiler scorer is Nikita Kucherov at 15 points, currently. Let's get him five more. So, going into the Final. The best non-Oiler scorer has half as many points as McDavid's 40.

If it's the Blues that advance - they've been back and forth on goalies. Maybe Carolina turns to Freddy Andersen at some point. I guess Vasilevskiy will be high on the ballot if Kucherov only scored so much and they advanced. But anyhow...let's say it all breaks right where no one is doing anything amazing...can you possibly, even a little bit, justify a Conn Smythe to someone who didn't make the Final if he's so, so far ahead of the pack...?

I think I saw a TSN article about this....that would be f***ing wild if they did that.

I don't think the voters would be willing to do it unfortunately

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com

Erik Karlsson got one third-place vote for the Conn Smythe in 2017 when they lost in the conference finals. I think I remember hearing that was the first time that's ever happened. McDavid would certainly get some votes but I don't think he'd get enough to win it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The Conn Smythe Trophy is an annual award given "to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs." The winner is selected by the Professional Hockey Writers Association at the conclusion of the last game in the Stanley Cup Final.

NHL Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

The only reason the Oilers have made it this far is McDavid and Drai on one leg.

i'm not saying it's a bad thing, or that at their current paces exrapolated over four rounds mc or drai wouldn't be good winners, just that i'm foreseeing another year where kuch does exactly what he needs to do at a very high level and still doesn't get his

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Would Draisaitl crack the top 100 at this point?
Is he greater than a Max Bentley, Dave Keon or even Sergei Fedorov?

... Even if he wins the cup this year he is a couple of years away from the top 100 players in hockey history.

(And I'm the guy saying McDavid is knocking on the door of the top 50, where Forsberg is.)

Note: BOTH are rising. But let's not crown them before they have achieved the merits worthy of the acclaim.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Is there 50 players in the nhl history you would prefer to McDavid in the next round of the playoff coming up ?

Was there really in history 50% of the draft/signing year with a better player than McDavid available ?

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is there 50 players in the nhl history you would prefer to McDavid in the next round of the playoff coming up ?

Was there really in history 50% of the draft/signing year with a better player than McDavid available ?

He's obviously one of the 50 best players ever, but some want attrition before ranking people where their ability would dictate. I don't think that it's very justifiable to have McDavid all that far behind Lafleur at this point. He can be behind since Lafleur was a noted playoff monster, but it really cannot be that far when McDavid's peak is better (regular season) and Lafleur doesn't add much more historically relevant stuff outside of those six years.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Without ranking goalies and D.

Just skaters I have over McDavid RN. In no particular order:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
H Richard
M Richard
Beliveau
Cournoyer
Lafleur
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Howe
Bossy
Trottier
Malkin
Bobby Hull
Esposito
Messier
Yzerman
Sakic
Forsberg
B Clarke
Selanne
Lindros
Mikita
Fedorov
Dionne
Datsyuk

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Cournoyer point finish:
6-8

One of those while the Soviet league and WHA had maybe enough talent to push him outside the top 10 (if the Karlamov/Petrov/Hull) was there.

McDavid: 1-1-1-1-2-2

Lindros: 1-6-7 was made during a very competitive time, but is a mile from McDavid track record.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't know how you can rank Dionne above McDavid.

Dionne: 2x 1 AS, 2x 2 AS, 1x 3 AS
McDavid: 4x 1 AS, 1x 3 AS (plus whatever he gets this year)

Point finishes
Dionne: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
McDavid: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Hart
Dionne: 2, 3, 3
McDavid: 1, 1, 3, 5 (plus a top 3 this year)

Pearson
Dionne: 1, 1
McDavid: 1, 1, 1 (and top 3 this year)

Playoffs
Dionne: 45 points in 49 games
McDavid: 48 points in 33 games

To still list Dionne above McDavid is placing such an extreme emphasis on the years Dionne placed 5-20 in scoring.

Mikita is the closest comparison in resume, and it's getting really hard to rank Mikita over McDavid.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
H Richard
M Richard
Beliveau
Cournoyer
Lafleur
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Howe
Bossy
Trottier
Malkin
Bobby Hull
Esposito
Messier
Yzerman
Sakic
Forsberg
B Clarke
Selanne
Lindros
Mikita
Fedorov
Dionne
Datsyuk
Datsyuk? No way.

Reactions: The Pale King

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
M Richard
Beliveau
Lafleur
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Howe
Bossy
Trottier
Bobby Hull
Esposito
Messier
Mikita
Adjusted your list a bit.

Give him another 3 years and he’s passing half of those players.

Last edited:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I'll repost what I wrote into the ridiculous poll on the Stanley Cup Playoffs forum (where more than 50% voters have him in the top-10.

McDavid's peak is comparable with Esposito, Mikita and Lafleur. At this point I'm not sure he has either the longevity or a big enough playoff resume to rank ahead of all 3.

Those are (roughly ranked) the only guys I definitely have above him.

Wayne Gretzky
Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Dominik Hasek
Sidney Crosby
Jean Beliveau
Eddie Shore
Alexander Ovechkin
Doug Harvey
Bobby Hull
Patrick Roy
Raymond Bourque
Maurice Richard
Nicklas Lidstrom
Jacques Plante
Jaromir Jagr
Howie Morenz
Denis Potvin
Stan Mikita
Phil Esposito
Glenn Hall
Guy Lafleur
Mark Messier

So between 25-35 would seem appropriate (and incredibly impressive) for a guy who's 7 seasons in his NHL career. He's probably about to shoot up that list in the next few years.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com

Point finishes

Hart

Pearson

Playoffs

To still list Dionne above McDavid is placing such an extreme emphasis on the years Dionne placed 5-20 in scoring.

Mikita is the closest comparison in resume, and it's getting really hard to rank Mikita over McDavid.
Take Gretzky out, and it's a lot closer.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018

Point finishes

Hart

Pearson

Playoffs

Dionne was never a top5 player in the world. Not even a single year. McDavid is Jagr/Howe level but below the big 3. He hasn't won much but he has much of his career ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad