If the Top 100 players All-time list is redone today, where does McDavid's career place him?

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Are you sure about that? He did win the Pearson in back-to-back years.
He was maybe the best Canadian forward in 1979 after Bossy. Late 70s were somewhat weak for Canadian forwards I'd say, most of the best forwards were in the USSR. Once we start adding in D-men and goalies I can't think of Dionne ever cracking the top5, maybe the top10 for a season or two but that's about it.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Am I the only one who views Orr/Gretzky/Lemieux far ahead of everyone in history? I don't think Howe or Crosby or whatever have ever been anywhere close to them.

Howe was nearly unanimously voted ahead of Lemieux on every list this forum has done.

Big Three is definitely a term used here, but with Lemieux the odd man out.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Just skaters I have over McDavid RN. In no particular order:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Howe
H Richard
M Richard
Beliveau
Cournoyer
Lafleur
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Howe
Bossy
Trottier
Malkin
Bobby Hull
Esposito
Messier
Yzerman
Sakic
Forsberg
B Clarke
Selanne
Lindros
Mikita
Fedorov
Dionne
Datsyuk
Forget every defenseman and every goalie?
(McDavid ain't Hasek, Roy, Orr, Harvey, Fetisov, Bourque level).

You forgot Morenz, Kelly, Nighbor, Taylor.

Last edited:

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Draisaitl isn't far off McDavid so I really don't understand the comparisons to big 4 who were all heads and shoulders above their competition. Right now, I'd rank McDavid somewhere in the top 40 at best.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have all of Sakic, Trottier, and Yzerman in the same tier (in that order, for what it's worth).

McDavid isn't there yet, but he's knocking at that door. After all what we've seen in 21-22, I do have him ahead of Forsberg, Malkin and Apps.

So, in my same tier as Cyclone Taylor and Newsy Lalonde.

Reactions: bobholly39

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He was maybe the best Canadian forward in 1979 after Bossy. Late 70s were somewhat weak for Canadian forwards I'd say, most of the best forwards were in the USSR. Once we start adding in D-men and goalies I can't think of Dionne ever cracking the top5, maybe the top10 for a season or two but that's about it.

Dionne finished 3rd, 2nd and 3rd in Hart voting from 1979-81.

In 1980 he tied Gretzky for the scoring title. And though The Great One won the Hart, Dionne was the first team all-star center. You may be underrating Dionne.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Howe was nearly unanimously voted ahead of Lemieux on every list this forum has done.

Big Three is definitely a term used here, but with Lemieux the odd man out.
Maybe in terms of legacy or what not. In terms of pure skill Lemieux was likely even better than Gretzky. Howe played in a weaker era and never even scored 50 goals in a season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Trottier scored 100+ playoff points over a 4-year dynasty, three times leading the league in a combo of goals, assists, points.

McDavid is a couple of years away from that company.

If you are comparing career resumes, fine.

But Trottier wasn't on the same level as McDavid is as a player.

Am I the only one who views Orr/Gretzky/Lemieux far ahead of everyone in history? I don't think Howe or Crosby or whatever have ever been anywhere close to them.

One of the very few, I would say.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Dionne finished 3rd, 2nd and 3rd in Hart voting from 1979-81.

In 1980 he tied Gretzky for the scoring title. And though The Great One won the Hart, Dionne was the first team all-star center. You may be underrating Dionne.
Gretzky was a teen. Bossy had a weaker year. Dionne played 6 international tournaments and got 43 points in 50 games. Not sure why should I rank him ahead of the Soviet forwards.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Gretzky was a teen. Bossy had a weaker year. Dionne played 6 international tournaments and got 43 points in 50 games. Not sure why should I rank him ahead of the Soviet forwards.

Talking about Dionne ever being the best player in the world. You said maybe top 10 in a season or two. Never top 5.

So who were the Soviet forwards that were better in 1980?

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Talking about Dionne ever being the best player in the world. You said maybe top 10 in a season or two. Never top 5.

So who were the Soviet forwards that were better in 1980?
Makarov for sure, probably even Balderis, in 1979 both Petrov and Mikhailov. Balderis had a weaker year after being placed on CSKA's second line but was still likely the better player just like Bossy's somewhat weaker year in 1980.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Makarov, and that's it.
The full triple crown line played the 83 WC and how did it go? The green line had no problem going toe to toe with the Gretzky Lemieux Messier Bourque Coffey line.

Interestingly if I look at Dionne's stats he only does well in the regular season, basically being the star of the team getting all the best minutes all power plays raking up points against weaker teams. In NHL play offs, in Canada Cups and in the World Championships he is getting outscored by many many players. He was also a smaller guy with weak defense. Reminds me of Maltsev but with weaker peak though better longevity.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The full triple crown line played the 83 WC and how did it go? The green line had no problem going toe to toe with the Gretzky Lemieux Messier Bourque Coffey line.

Interestingly if I look at Dionne's stats he only does well in the regular season, basically being the star of the team getting all the best minutes all power plays raking up points against weaker teams. In NHL play offs, in Canada Cups and in the World Championships he is getting outscored by many many players. He was also a smaller guy with weak defense. Reminds me of Maltsev but with weaker peak though better longevity.
I thought we were talking about 1980?

Guess you don't want a reasonable discussion.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
I thought we were talking about 1980?

Guess you don't want a reasonable discussion.
What? I mean Dionne's prime was longer than just a single year. It's hard to compare single years when there is so much randomness. Looking at stats both Lafleur and Gretzky played fewer games than him that season their numbers were very similar though. Charlie Simmer scored a lot more goals in a lot fewer games.

Mentioning the fact Dionne would do much better against weaker opposition and fall off tremendously when facing tough opposition isn't unreasonable.

If you really just want to laser beam on the 79-80 season he is 3rd in PPG when factoring play offs. Was he better than Potvin or Robinson? Probably not. Definitely much worse than Makarov. Was there no goaltender in the world who would do better in ranking that year? I don't know...

So he was 6th at best at his peak year and likely lower than that. Bossy had an off year but was still likely the better player, Balderis had one of his strongest years despite being a second liner with less ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad