If the season starts again. Who is it Best and who is it Worst for?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
On the off chance that the season isn't cancelled...incredible for the whole team.

The Pens were stinkin' it up and Guentzel's absence was probably going to be too much for this team to overcome win it all. With him back, our odds would skyrocket.
Having a minicamp could work out pretty well too.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Excluding injuries like Jake or ZAR.

Best:
Sid. Few weeks off will likely help him regain some adrenaline.
Marleau. He looked great after a couple weeks off with SJ.

Worst:
Malkin. Hot streak interruption is never good.
Jarry. Probably easily loses his job now.
You had me at best.

Then you took a giant backward shit with your thoughts on worst.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Great thread... could even expand this to all NHL teams. Flyers lose a massive hot streak. Pens lose a massive cold streak.

Sid has to improve. Marino gets fully healthy. Those are my top 2.
Well it would also be great for Dumoulin and getting his legs evenly stronger. I also think a lot of guys on the team would just benefit a ton. Pens are like top 5 for taking the most hits in the league. Guys like Tanev and even guys like Rust etc are likely getting a huge boost to their legs and coming back they'll be at their absolute speediest.

I can't specifically say one guy over the other. So many would be benefiting from this. That entire team looked a little run down at times.

Bjugstad can go f*** right off though, mate.

Reactions: TNT87

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't really buy that it is bad for anyone on the Penguins, if we agree that the purpose for everyone is winning the Cup. Malkin is being healthy Malkin. That's it. If he is still healthy when the league returns, there's little to suggest this is not what he is or what we can expect. Few if any others were genuinely hot when it was shut down.

But as a team, we need Sid to be closer to being Sid, and more time can only help. We also need the team to get back to doing what it needs to do to be effective, and Sully getting the time to get that through everyone's skull is a good thing.
We have numerous new players, and more time gives them more time to gel.

And then there are the actually injured guys, who will get a chance to heal up... and in Guentzel's case maybe maybe have a chance to return for the show. Which would be rather epic.

However, looking on from afar... having lived through the early China reactions and shutdown and then had a couple of weeks in Denmark just before it broke there, I would be very surprised if the break will not ultimately be a long one, because the US is so far behind the curve in terms of testing and thus having an actual grip on what the challenge will be.
There are most likely 10s of 1000s who are currently infected given what the numbers are with virtually no testing (compared to China/Korea/Japan and most of Northern Europe at least), and getting through that will take time.

With absolutely Herculean (and draconian) measures, China shut it down in 6 weeks from when they went all in. Nobody will be able to or want to be as hard core as they've been, but of course there is also much better data and knowledge know than when they started . I very much hope I am wrong, but I don't see the US being through to the extent that games are open to the public before in May at best. Question is if they'd restart the season that late? Maybe... more so if they can agree on a format to cancel some of the remaining regular season.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't really buy that it is bad for anyone on the Penguins, if we agree that the purpose for everyone is winning the Cup. Malkin is being healthy Malkin. That's it. If he is still healthy when the league returns, there's little to suggest this is not what he is or what we can expect. Few if any others were genuinely hot when it was shut down.

But as a team, we need Sid to be closer to being Sid, and more time can only help. We also need the team to get back to doing what it needs to do to be effective, and Sully getting the time to get that through everyone's skull is a good thing.
We have numerous new players, and more time gives them more time to gel.

And then there are the actually injured guys, who will get a chance to heal up... and in Guentzel's case maybe maybe have a chance to return for the show. Which would be rather epic.

However, looking on from afar... having lived through the early China reactions and shutdown and then had a couple of weeks in Denmark just before it broke there, I would be very surprised if the break will not ultimately be a long one, because the US is so far behind the curve in terms of testing and thus having an actual grip on what the challenge will be.
There are most likely 10s of 1000s who are currently infected given what the numbers are with virtually no testing (compared to China/Korea/Japan and most of Northern Europe at least), and getting through that will take time.

With absolutely Herculean (and draconian) measures, China shut it down in 6 weeks from when they went all in. Nobody will be able to or want to be as hard core as they've been, but of course there is also much better data and knowledge know than when they started . I very much hope I am wrong, but I don't see the US being through to the extent that games are open to the public before in May at best. Question is if they'd restart the season that late? Maybe... more so if they can agree on a format to cancel some of the remaining regular season.

If they really are considering playing through July as reported, a post-season based upon a reduction to 5 games series should take about 6 weeks. Add a couple weeks for completing the regular season, and you still don't get into July with a May 1 restart.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think everyone could benefit on this team from a break whether it is to get healthy, maybe reset a mindset, or get some additional reps in. I think Dumo and Marino will benefit the most health wise. Getting those guys 100% is imperative to the success of the team.

There was no one rolling well enough to be concerned about an extended break.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think everyone could benefit on this team from a break whether it is to get healthy, maybe reset a mindset, or get some additional reps in. I think Dumo and Marino will benefit the most health wise. Getting those guys 100% is imperative to the success of the team.

There was no one rolling well enough to be concerned about an extended break.
You look at this thread and there's a lot that are just happy to see everyone get a rest.

But even the assholes can't help themselves with their shitty narratives. Makes it easier to also postpone posting here.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
On the off chance that the season isn't cancelled...incredible for the whole team.

The Pens were stinkin' it up and Guentzel's absence was probably going to be too much for this team to overcome win it all. With him back, our odds would skyrocket.

Thanks uncle gary! The league is rigged in the Penguins favor yet again!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad