IF the Pens go far in the playoffs, who is the unsung hero?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Megna would be a top candidate for me if he was actually playing. Bennett is another, because I doubt he's going to play in the top 6, and we will absolutely have to get secondary scoring to get anywhere. Contrary to the verbal diarrhea the mentally challenged idiots in the Pittsburgh media are passing off as top notch sports reporting these days.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
This isn't really what was asked, but I don't see us winning the cup with the roster w/o Letang coming back and playing his best hockey. Not that I'm even sure what exactly that looks like. But we need a big x-factor somewhere, it's become clear to me that we're unlikely to get sustained opportunities from our forward group as they're currently being utilized.

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
Hoping Bennett can come back into things and get going right away, maybe a tad unrealistic but I'm hopeful

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'll go with double J, Jussi Jokinen. If he provides us solid secondary scoring like he's capable of that will go a long way in helping us win playoff series. Obviously we need our big guns to score to go anywhere but we're also gonna need our secondary scoring, such as it is, to show up. After Neal and Kunitz Jussi is the main secondary scoring threat we have.

He has in the past been a dangerous playoff forward. Last year he didn't do much but he had that great run for the Canes a few years ago and he was great in the olympics this year. I hope he can get hot for us in the playoffs.

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
If Letang come back that would be my vote. When he is on he's the straw that stirs the drink. I also think that Fleury has a big opportunity to redeem himself. So those guys would be my vote.

It would also be nice to see both Sid and Malkin go beastmode :yo:

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Also on the Fleury train. I think a couple strong games from him in the playoffs will go a long ways to building confidence throughout the rest of the roster. I've saved my criticisms of Orpik and Scuderi hoping they'll turn their play up in the playoffs. I think Orpiks Olympics were an indication that it's not completely impossible to do so, but we'll see.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
The entire team is going to have to play at its best, but Orpik and Scuderi will have to play beyond their abilities for this team to get past the ECF. Even then nobody will be singing either Dman's praises.

I'm going to go with Stempniak. The guy just keeps battling.

Orpik was actually good last playoff run so hopefully he is "saving" himself again. Although his passing this season has gone to a new low.

Correspondant

Jan 4, 2014
Finland/U.S.
Borts has shown up very well lately. On defence I'd count on him, Engelland, Niskanen and maybe Olli. Hope they're the workhorses that can step up bold and play their hearts out in playoffs.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Fleury/whoever is in net. We will win/lose with Sid and Geno, as always. It's up to the guy in net to keep us in the game though and not give up backbreaking goals.

ObsessedCreative*

I think if some miracle happens and they do go far or win a cup a lot of things need to happen.

I think it will have to be a combo of the younger guys forcing their way into the line up (BG, SD, BB, JM) and taking spots away from wastes of skin like Glass, Adams, Pyatt, Orpik.

Not only will Bylsma have to be backed into a corner on the brink of elimination to play these guys, but they will ALL have to catch lightening in a bottle at the same time and all play way over their heads in terms of skill and production and continue that game in and game out in order for us to even have a chance at winning or getting to the finals for a cup.

There are just too many factors that need to happen and align and then Bylsma has to keep playing them and not default into the god ol' boy roster like he loves to do.

I say the pens realistically have about a 10-12%!chance at getting to the finals and winning a cup with this roster.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
We need Stempniak and Jokinen to play their best, so I guess those two. Maybe Goc chipping in on that putrid 4th line, because opponents confuse him with Gladams and leave him wide open in front of the cage.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The way this team is structured right now, it has to be Fleury. He has to steal at least two games in each series. The team can not beat any one in a physical matchup. They are too soft. Their only hope is to go all out in a speed game. Meaning Z, Megna and Gibbons play. And Sloths like Scuderi, Adams, Pyatt, and JJ sit. Only speed will beat teams like St.L, La, Flys and Boston. But of course this won't happen. DB and RS value experience and less then average playing ability over youth and speed.

If they go out in the first round, hopefully Lemieux cleans house. This team has been mis-managed with player evaluation and cap spending. If the object is to win the cup, clean house. If the object is to get 90 or 100 points each season, then keep the status quo.

RH710

Feb 25, 2013
I can't even answer this question because I have no idea what lineup Bylsma will yahtzee shake out.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If he wants to play and keep his head in the game I think that player is going to end up being Pyatt. He has the size to make things happen in later rounds if we get there. I pick him, but myself I have a hard time believing it

TheRealDeal18871

Jun 27, 2013
PA
Ultimately, Fleury. For all the negativity he's brought on to himself with his performances in the last few years, this would be the perfect time for him to step up and turn his career around. I believe another bad playoffs may be the end of him as a starter, not just in Pittsburgh.

Personally, I'd like to see Bennett return and be the unsung hero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad