If the NHL is the only NA league to play in ‘20 will it result in NHLs greatest moment?

Would awarding the Cup in 2020 while no other league comes back be the NHLs greatest moment?

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If the NHL awards the Stanley Cup in October and no other league is able to return to play in 2020 will this be the NHLs greatest moment? The other moments that come to mind for me are the Rangers ending the drought, Orr going airborne, and Toronto winning with the 2 goalies pushing 40.

For the purposes of this poll imagine the COVID tests and quarantines are roughly halfway between zero and whatever you think it would take to shut it down.

Every person I’ve asked, none of whom are hockey fans, in this scenario how many games will you watch, and they’ve all answered some variation of As many as is possible.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No?

But I must say I think NHL has done the best job so far in its return to play planning, vs other leagues.

Reactions: Morrison

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only league that might not come back is the NBA, and that's mostly because they're insistent on being stationed in Florida. The MLB, MLS, PGA Tour and such will all be back this summer.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The MLS is already back and played a few games already. The MLB I would wager is going to play for sure.

Answer though is No, it won't be the greatest moment because the NHL wouldn't be the only game on, and even if it was... well "greatest moment" is quite the big statement for a weird make up the rules as you go round of playoffs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nope, being the only league out of the big 4 to cancel an entire season will always be held against them. Nevermind that they've had 3 lockouts in the last 25 years.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What Deputy Commissioner Daly has called the NHL pause is over… and the NHL Playoffs are about to begin. Upon these playoffs depend the Stanley Cup itself. Upon it depends our very own fandom, the not-so long continuity of the Stanley Cup being awarded, and a great many playoff pools. The fury and might of countless angry fans calling the playoffs tainted may soon be turned upon us. Bettman knows that he will have to get hockey on TV or lose countless fans. If we can have playoff games on TV, many sunbelt franchises may survive and hockey will be played in warm, sunlit lands henceforth.

But if we fail, then the whole sports world, especially for NBA fans, including all that we watch and follow regularly, will sink into the abyss of a content starved media dark age made all the more sinister, and perhaps more annoying, by the light of advanced stats. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duty to support this playoff tournament, so that if the NHL and its fandom last for a thousand years, men will still say – THIS was their finest hour.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
The only league that might not come back is the NBA, and that's mostly because they're insistent on being stationed in Florida. The MLB, MLS, PGA Tour and such will all be back this summer.
With the recent explosion in cases in Florida, I’m surprised they did not have a back up bubble in another state/city. They’re insistence in staying in the lion’s den is mind-boggling considering the great job Adam Silver has done since his arrival.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
With the recent explosion in cases in Florida, I’m surprised they did not have a back up bubble in another state/city. They’re insistence in staying in the lion’s den is mind-boggling considering the great job Adam Silver has done since his arrival.

Disney World is a private city. They have everything they could need in house. It’s not a bad choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad