If the league held an auction for Bedard, how much would a team actually pay?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I could see the Rangers, Leafs, or Canadiens give 80-100m for a generational prospect.

They would easily earn the money back and then some.

But this is assuming that generational prospect is not a dud like Daigle. It's a risk but these teams are rich enough to roll the dice.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
The Leafs, Rangers and Habs all bring in revenues north of $1 billion. James Dolan reportedly spends $7 million a year just to wash his balls.

The amount of money spent would be in the neighborhood of Somalia.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I honestly think a Mercedes Benz from 1956 in mint condition would make the deal and guaranteed if it is the Cabriolet model.

• Haha
Reactions: Carl Hungus

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Leafs/Habs both bring in north of 200 million in profits per year. For a team like Toronto, I am not sure how much adding Bedard effects their bottom line because they already have their marketable stars like Matthews and Marner.

For Montreal, I feel like the sky is truly the limit. Bedard would be the first generational skater in Montreal in several decades, and surely their profits throughout his career would reflect that. I think the Habs would be willing to pay more than $100,000,000 to guarantee drafting Bedard; realistically the impact of more playoff games, more fan excitement around the team etc. would be MASSIVE for the organization. The only player with that pedigree in Montreal is Carey Price, and that era of the Canadiens seems to be coming to a close.

Rangers are the only other team that would really be able to compete financially I think, but they have a plethora of stars (Fox, Igor, Panarin) and similarly I don't believe spending a huge amount of money on Bedard would see the type of return that would make it worthwhile.
we would pay 20 % more than whatever the habs and rags pay just to block them from getting him. So no, we wouldn't just be like " derr hurrr we have stars der derp. "

we would get him and everyone knows it..

Thread/

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
If you bought him for $100m, you don't really have to worry about an insane salary, do you? I mean if his only other option is the KHL, because OP says you'd "own his rights", then I guess you can pay him league minimum unless he threatens to retire.

So I guess this is one of the reasons why the league needed a union in the first place.
I interpreted the question as that you're basically buying pick #0, jumping the line to draft somebody (value decreases a bit if you're losing your first round pick, so just assuming you buy pick #0).

So basically you control him until UFA (no different than anybody else) but may have to pay the max contract each year (you're not forced to, but imagine buying a guy for $50M and losing him on an offersheet? so you'd need to budget spending to the max). So every year you'd have to be willing to pay him up to $16.3M (20% of cap right?) or maybe he gets an offer sheet.

I don't think you could control how much he makes, sounds illegal/PA wouldn't allow it/etc so he'd need to follow the same rules as any other draftees. NHL + teams may also want a rule that they would also have to agree to refund money if the player leaves for another league/NCAA (but rules to make sure the team isn't screwing around - ie player refused a bonafide max contract).

If it was only once a year, and only one team in the league could do it (and maybe you'd need a 5-10 year cooling off window for each winner) ... I could see Bedard getting north of $50M for this being the first year. If this had been in place for several years, I doubt he's bought for over $25M.

Instead of making the maximum on an ELC (roughly $4M?) I think the person should also be entitled to a signing bonus or higher salary during the ELC. Maybe double the ELC max with bonuses, or the bonus is a % of the auction.

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
I know this is a fantasy situation but it'd be very interesting to see it as the NHL's version of franchise tagging / luxury cap / transfer fees.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
If this were to happen and all business sense was gone. The Jets ownership group could out bid any other team.

They could spend half their wealth (20 Billion) and still be the richest owners.

But of course the reason they have money is because they know how to manage it and I think other teams would create more value with bedard than the Jets could

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
we would pay 20 % more than whatever the habs and rags pay just to block them from getting him. So no, we wouldn't just be like " derr hurrr we have stars der derp. "

Thread/
Leafs fans are special.

If you think that the board at MLSE would ever greenlight matching the Habs bids to get what would be a 3rd star for the team - you are out to lunch. It would cost them money that they wouldn't get back short of winning a cup, and the salary cap is a thing.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Let Bedard play his draft season first. I mean Wright was considered almost a generational after WJC U18 he had and then he sucked (not even for almost a generational but for a solid 1st OA) in the CHL.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Thread/
Habs have deep pockets too. You offering 20% more would just be a minor inconvenience. It would be a bidding war. The Leafs aren’t the only ones in the league that can flex their wallets when they feel like it.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Habs have deep pockets too. You offering 20% more would just be a minor inconvenience. It would be a bidding war. The Leafs aren’t the only ones in the league that can flex their wallets when they feel like it.
The Habs have deep pockets but have been historically pretty cheap in comparison to the Rangers and Leafs. Their coaching and support staff for instance are smaller and they don't spend as much money skill and player development, analytic departments etc. It does show they do have a ceiling.

James Dolan is a lot of things as an owner but one thing he isn't is cheap and MLSE is MLSE.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The Habs have deep pockets but have been historically pretty cheap in comparison to the Rangers and Leafs. Their coaching and support staff for instance are smaller and they don't spend as much money skill and player development, analytic departments etc. It does show they do have a ceiling.

James Dolan is a lot of things as an owner but one thing he isn't is cheap and MLSE is MLSE.
I don’t think that would matter a lick in this situation. We’re talking about the hypothetical of buying a generational player, not whose willing to blow more on hockey operations that may or may not help your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad