If the league held an auction for Bedard, how much would a team actually pay?

RBZ

Jun 24, 2013
How much would a team actually pay for the right to get Bedard on their team. Talking straight auction.

I would think at least 100 million. Think of having generational player for his whole career. Obviously this does not include his contract.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
1656787768233.png

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
In this case, having a rich owner in Katz would pay off dividends/.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Honestly I don't think it gets anywhere near that number.

100m to draft him and probably another ~100m for the next 10 years of salary.

It's still a business, and I don't know if the owners would shell out that kind of money.

My guess is something like 20m.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Look at how the MLB courts prodigies/top prospects from international markets.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
How much would a team actually pay for the right to get Bedard on their team. Talking straight auction.

I would think at least 100 million. Think of having generational player for his whole career. Obviously this does not include his contract.

Leafs/Habs both bring in north of 200 million in profits per year. For a team like Toronto, I am not sure how much adding Bedard effects their bottom line because they already have their marketable stars like Matthews and Marner.

For Montreal, I feel like the sky is truly the limit. Bedard would be the first generational skater in Montreal in several decades, and surely their profits throughout his career would reflect that. I think the Habs would be willing to pay more than $100,000,000 to guarantee drafting Bedard; realistically the impact of more playoff games, more fan excitement around the team etc. would be MASSIVE for the organization. The only player with that pedigree in Montreal is Carey Price, and that era of the Canadiens seems to be coming to a close.

Rangers are the only other team that would really be able to compete financially I think, but they have a plethora of stars (Fox, Igor, Panarin) and similarly I don't believe spending a huge amount of money on Bedard would see the type of return that would make it worthwhile.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ

who would get the money? the NHL?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Or transfers in football / soccer ?

I think this would give some perspective. There have only been 13 transfers to ever top €95 million (roughly US$100 million today), and the revenues those teams make would dwarf anything someone like Bedard could earn for an NHL club. To suggest a team would pay that much for him is highly dubious.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
In this case, having a rich owner in Katz would pay off dividends/.

Not only that, but a rich owner who is willing to throw some extra money around. Everyone will assume that a team like the Leafs would be in on him, but their majority owner is a publicly traded company, which makes it harder to justify burning 100 million dollars. Katz probably wouldn’t blink at that if he thought his name would be on the cup

Reactions: Mr Kot

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Hockey is a fringe sport. 9 figure sums for a player's rights wouldn't have a hope in hell of transpiring.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Leafs/Habs both bring in north of 200 million in profits per year. For a team like Toronto, I am not sure how much adding Bedard effects their bottom line because they already have their marketable stars like Matthews and Marner.

For Montreal, I feel like the sky is truly the limit. Bedard would be the first generational skater in Montreal in several decades, and surely their profits throughout his career would reflect that. I think the Habs would be willing to pay more than $100,000,000 to guarantee drafting Bedard; realistically the impact of more playoff games, more fan excitement around the team etc. would be MASSIVE for the organization. The only player with that pedigree in Montreal is Carey Price, and that era of the Canadiens seems to be coming to a close.

Rangers are the only other team that would really be able to compete financially I think, but they have a plethora of stars (Fox, Igor, Panarin) and similarly I don't believe spending a huge amount of money on Bedard would see the type of return that would make it worthwhile.
Ya but the leafs could get rid of those 1st round loser bums and bring in Bedard

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
In terms of trade value. I'd offer up multiple firsts and then something like Kakko, Schneider and then maybe something more than that. I'd even offer up Laf, I think Laf will be a very good player. Schneider as well. Panarin would also be available.

Kakko has all the tools but he has the mentality of Ferdinand the Bull, he needs some sisu. He has the skills to be a pain in the ass top 6 fwd.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Honestly I don't think it gets anywhere near that number.

100m to draft him and probably another ~100m for the next 10 years of salary.

It's still a business, and I don't know if the owners would shell out that kind of money.

My guess is something like 20m.
Edmonton owner would be that

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Probably should have all first round picks auctioned off. No tanking for top picks.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
In terms of trade value, Colorado would be looking at having to give up MacKinnon at minimum. Unfortunately.

Edmonton would probably have to decide whether it's better to have Bedard at no real expense for awhile. Or keep McDavid and risk him leaving after 2026.

Bedard is a once in a generation type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad