If the Kings had to trade one....

HolyShot*

Chose Drew. While he is the best defenseman in the world, his abilities can be almost replaced by Voynov. Keeping a highly skilled offense intact is the most important and Kopitar is highly skilled, despite the haters.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kopitar is one of my favorite players in the game, but honestly, with the depth the Kings have at center, he is the one the Kings would be able to recover most easily with trading. Voynov, while good, would not replace Doughty nearly as competently as Carter would be a two way force in place of Kopitar.

HolyShot*

Kopitar is one of my favorite players in the game, but honestly, with the depth the Kings have at center, he is the one the Kings would be able to recover most easily with trading. Voynov, while good, would not replace Doughty nearly as competently as Carter would be a two way force in place of Kopitar.
Yeah, but how many top 6 NHL ready forwards do we have? You lose Kopitar and you're losing a lot of skill and on a team, that I would argue, doesn't have a ton of skill at the forward postion. We'd be better off losing doughty as he simply is not a forward. Could be a 4th forward, but he's not.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah, but how many top 6 NHL ready forwards do we have? You lose Kopitar and you're losing a lot of skill and on a team, that I would argue, doesn't have a ton of skill at the forward postion. We'd be better off losing doughty as he simply is not a forward. Could be a 4th forward, but he's not.

Well, Kopitar could be traded for a winger. Carter excelled most as a center, in my opinion, and I think he would fill in well as a top line center. Not as well as Kopitar, but I think the drop off from Kopitar to Carter is smaller than the drop off from Doughty to Voynov.

Doughty is a LOT more than a 4th forward. He is a franchise defenseman, is signed for a longer term for comparable money.

And just how much skill do the Kings have at defense if they lose Doughty?

KingKopitar11*

Chose Drew. While he is the best defenseman in the world, his abilities can be almost replaced by Voynov. Keeping a highly skilled offense intact is the most important and Kopitar is highly skilled, despite the haters.

Kopitar is highly skilled, but he doesn't use his skills too well, a guy for his potential plays perimeter too much.

I'd trade kopitar for a bonafide left winger. Someone whos more focused on goal scoring, and isn't scared to drive through the middle. Someone with a better goal scoring mentality.

Kopitar is awesome but if we could get an awesome winger for a swap, It'd be Kopi.

Doughty is the most untouchable King IMO.

HolyShot*

Well, Kopitar could be traded for a winger. Carter excelled most as a center, in my opinion, and I think he would fill in well as a top line center. Not as well as Kopitar, but I think the drop off from Kopitar to Carter is smaller than the drop off from Doughty to Voynov.

Doughty is a LOT more than a 4th forward. He is a franchise defenseman, is signed for a longer term for comparable money.

And just how much skill do the Kings have at defense if they lose Doughty?

I'm of the belief that the greater dropoff here would be between Kopitar and Carter. No matter how skilled a defenseman is, he's still stuck on the blueline. Ideally, you want defensemen who are big (shea weber) and can handle the puck. If you can swap doughty for a top liner, you do it, but not just any top liner.

HolyShot*

Kopitar is highly skilled, but he doesn't use his skills too well, a guy for his potential plays perimeter too much.

I'd trade kopitar for a bonafide left winger. Someone whos more focused on goal scoring, and isn't scared to drive through the middle. Someone with a better goal scoring mentality.

Kopitar is awesome but if we could get an awesome winger for a swap, It'd be Kopi.

Doughty is the most untouchable King IMO.

Yea but Kopitar's size is something to covet. He's rugged, played in a lot of games for his age. He does go hard to the crease, see 2012 playoffs. When he is put on a line with a power forward, he will be less afraid to go to the net.

He is more of a passive player than some of his peers, but that can be worked around and he has plenty of skill to make up for it. Again, I think you get rid of Doughty first.

KingKopitar11*

Yea but Kopitar's size is something to covet. He's rugged, played in a lot of games for his age. He does go hard to the crease, see 2012 playoffs. When he is put on a line with a power forward, he will be less afraid to go to the net.

He is more of a passive player than some of his peers, but that can be worked around and he has plenty of skill to make up for it. Again, I think you get rid of Doughty first.

Honestly the Kopitar during the run was a Kopitar I haven't seen too often.

Kings have many solid two way centers which is very good. Kopitar doesn't show drive to the net, he has a pass first mentality when he's our most gifted forward. As much as it sucks I don't see too much of cup run Anze to say that he might actually play that way. I for one am hoping he has a great bounce back season this year. I'm just not sure if he will. And if he doesn't I don't know I'd be hoping for a bonafide winger with drive and isn't afraid to shoot.

I love Anzes game but for a defensive team, with a great goalie, and good defense. His defensive play isn't that necessary so I'm hoping he steps it up offensively this year. So yeah this is why Anze is first to go for me.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Kopitar, and it's not even close. Slide Carter back to center, and we still are one of the best teams down the middle in the NHL. I love Kopi, but Doughty would be MUCH tougher to replace.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Most untouchable King is probably Quick. Next-most is DD8. Then maybe Jeff Carter and then VV. Jam Brown in there somewhere too as the re-signed captain.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jets could use Kopitar. We could offer some guy named Evander Kane... plus a 1st.... plus ...?

I understand this isn't a trade thread, but it is intriguing.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Of course it is. From Winnipeg Kane and Bogo with half of his salary retained sounds also intriguing. No way Kopitar is gonna get traded. Don't understand these threads. The only way I'd be down is something like Kopi + Voynov for Malkin + Bennett.

jarmoismyhero

Mar 18, 2012
St. Louis
It goes in order of importance in terms of how a good hockey team is built. If all are equal or within a hair of talent from each other, then it would go something like this:

1st to go: Kopitar
Then Doughty
Lastly Quick

God I hope this never happens!

Blues fan here.

I would for sure trade quick before doughty and Kopi before both.

On main board someone said Shattenkirk and Backes for Kopitar. Not that this is ever gonna happen but what are Kings fans opinions of this sort of deal?

HolyShot*

Blues fan here.

I would for sure trade quick before doughty and Kopi before both.

On main board someone said Shattenkirk and Backes for Kopitar. Not that this is ever gonna happen but what are Kings fans opinions of this sort of deal?

Never. Backes and tarasenko for kop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad