If the Kings had to trade one....

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008
If the Kings where ever put in a position and had to trade one who would you trade?

Anze Kopitar

Or

Drew Doughty

Trust me I want nothing more than these two to be Kings for life but a debate I had with a friend of mine tring to see what everyone thinks.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not entirely sure of the point, but you would have to trade Kopitar. Regardless of who is better, we need our #1 defenseman more, he is irreplaceable while we have Mike Richards and Jeff Carter behind Kopitar and more higher end forward prospects at the moment.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Not entirely sure of the point, but you would have to trade Kopitar. Regardless of who is better, we need our #1 defenseman more, he is irreplaceable while we have Mike Richards and Jeff Carter behind Kopitar and more higher end forward prospects at the moment.

totally agree without drew we re screwed

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
This. Hard choice, but a number 1 dman is more important.

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008

Agree with you but not sure how much you can count on Richards being healthy all the time with his concussion issues. If he did go down that leaves Carter

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If Kopitar wasn't 'injured' during the later half of the season and into playoffs this poll might have been a bit closer... Le sigh.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's a matter of depth for me. Drew Doughty leaves a bigger hole. We have 1 maybe 2 potential #1 centers still here if you trade Kopi and you definitely get at least a 2nd line center + for him.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
It goes in order of importance in terms of how a good hockey team is built. If all are equal or within a hair of talent from each other, then it would go something like this:

1st to go: Kopitar
Then Doughty
Lastly Quick

God I hope this never happens!

KingKopitar11*

It goes in order of importance in terms of how a good hockey team is built. If all are equal or within a hair of talent from each other, then it would go something like this:

1st to go: Kopitar
Then Doughty
Lastly Quick

God I hope this never happens!

Interesting. I would have quick before doughty. Doughty is more important to me. Losing quick would suck but with our defense I think we'd be fine with good goaltending. But without doughty I think quick would do worse.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Well.. I would pick Doughty, as long as the trade were making looks something like this.

Drew Doughty for..

Shea Weber/Zdeno Chara/Ryan Suter/Alex Pietrangelo/Erik Karlsson

Or Drew Doughty for these players as long as they throw in a high pick..

PK Subban/Niklas Krownwall/Dion Phaneuf/Duncan Keith/Kevin Shattenkirk/Brent Burns/ Brent Seabrook/Jack Johnson/Zach Bogosian

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This went pretty much the way everyone expected.

Kopi is a really good young #1 C but not irreplaceable or at least covered for in a replacement.

DD is proving to be potentially a generational talent. He has a way to go but he is on track to do so imo.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Waiting for our Slovenian friends to share their opinions here...

What should we say there?

If Kopi would be traded, most if us would start to follow closely his new team, but most of us would still stay fans of the Kings. At least we would check results, but probably we wouldn't wake up at 4am for
Kings games anymore...

Although this pool is really funny because in real life there will never be situation, where the decision will be Kopi or Doughty. Some other combination can happen, but in this cases not Kopi nor Doughty will be the ones that will be traded. Only if something would happen that prevent either if them physically to play on level, we are used from them and expect from them.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
As stated, we have good center depth so Kopitar hurts a lot less. Carter and Richards would be 1-2 down the middle.

Plus, in this fantasy situation in which we're trading Kopitar, we clear a huge cap hit and we'd likely get an elite player in return. Imagine trading Kopitar to a team like Edmonton. We'd likely get Hall plus a high pick or depth player.

Hall-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Richards-Williams

Is still an insane top six.

The same logic can be attributed to trading Doughty, which would likely net us a bigger haul, but you get the point.

Let's just be happy we both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad