If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Root For?

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
As a Devils, Cowboys, and Orioles fan living in NY for most of of my life (since 92, Jersey born though!) I have no allegiance to any NY sports teams. Maybe I would have been an Isles fan since I have a soft spot for them, but i think that is only because the common hate of the Rags.

If the Devils ever got relocated I would probably be so disgusted that I would try to boycott the NHL but fail because I love hockey too much. I would probably just pick a team out west after awhile but never love them as much as the NJD!

Last edited:

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Never existed - probably Rangers, with the Blackhawks being a #2 because my dad is from the Chicago area.

Now that I'll be going to school in the Chicago area.... Blackhawks if NJD relocated.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
The Pens.

Got into hockey in the early 90s, and was a fan of Lemieux, Jagr and Francis.
First Hockey game ever was actually Pens vs Devils in 93 or 94 I think.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Probably the Blues (mom's family is from Illinois near St. Louis and they're all huge into Cardinals) or maybe the Islanders. I couldn't stand the Rangers or the Bruins so I was looking for any excuse to pick another team. Brodeur, Niedermayer, and Elias were the excuse when I started catching more Devils games

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
As a Devils, Cowboys, and Orioles fan living in NY for most of of my life (since 92, Jersey born though!) I have no allegiance to any NY sports teams. Maybe I would have been an Isles fan since I have a soft spot for them, but i think that is only because the common hate of the Rags.

If the Devils ever got relocated I would probably be so disgusted that I would try to boycott the NHL but fail because I love hockey too much. I would probably just pick a team out west after awhile but never love them as much as the NJD!

Nice, another Devils/Orioles fan. Too bad about the Cowboys though.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Very interesting results.
It seems that the Devils mostly siphonned off Rangers fans in New Jersey as opposed to picking up fans in Central and parts of South Jersey.

So they really are the North Jersey Devils.
It also seems the Devils base is mostly 95% NJ not NY residents.
Also, I thought perhaps the Devils created their own base from otherwise non-hockey fans but this doesn't seem to be the case.

For instance, in Hartford, they are indifferent to the NHL now.
They didn't pick the Rangers or Bruins.
I thought NJ might be similar.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Never existed - probably Rangers, with the Blackhawks being a #2 because my dad is from the Chicago area.

Now that I'll be going to school in the Chicago area.... Blackhawks if NJD relocated.

Where are you going to school? I lived in the Chicagoland area from second grade until July so I'd either be a Hawks fan or whatever team drafted Marty.

njdevilfan2005

May 6, 2013
Tacoma WA
If the Devils did not exist, the team I would follow would be the Oilers. Been a fan of Wayne Gretzky for many years, but just really started following hockey in 2006 when I was living in NJ. The first time I went to a live game, I was a fan for life

lboogie42*

i just picked up hockey. The first real game i got into was a hawks vs redwings game. I rooted for the hawks. Then i started to watch the devils. they are my favorite team

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
You speak for yourself. Most people I know who were previously Whalers fans became Bruins fans. I am the outlier here.

I think you know some fickle people if they became Bruins fans. Most Whalers fans I know still hate the Bruins and most Nordiques fans I know still hate the Habs.

Semak

Sharks. When they debuted, I bought a bunch of Shark stuff even though I was a Devs fan. Although I hated the teal, I was stoked that a hockey team in NHL was called the Sharks.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think you know some fickle people if they became Bruins fans. Most Whalers fans I know still hate the Bruins and most Nordiques fans I know still hate the Habs.

Not really, it was only natural. Most people here support Boston teams for every other sport anyway, so once Hartford's team was gone, they simply became Boston fans for hockey too.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Yotes. Underrated team in a tough market. I always hope they do well so they can make the sport more popular in Arizona, and so they can stay put.

Out of the possible options: Jackets. They have sucked so much I would be happy to see them at least make the playoffs a few times. Since I live over 4000 miles away from The Rock, the geographical location of an NHL-team has no impact whatsoever.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Very interesting results.
It seems that the Devils mostly siphonned off Rangers fans in New Jersey as opposed to picking up fans in Central and parts of South Jersey.

So they really are the North Jersey Devils.
It also seems the Devils base is mostly 95% NJ not NY residents.
Also, I thought perhaps the Devils created their own base from otherwise non-hockey fans but this doesn't seem to be the case.

For instance, in Hartford, they are indifferent to the NHL now.
They didn't pick the Rangers or Bruins.
I thought NJ might be similar.

Your poll and results are unscientific

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
i just picked up hockey. The first real game i got into was a hawks vs redwings game. I rooted for the hawks. Then i started to watch the devils. they are my favorite team

That's awesome. Welcome aboard. What drew you to the Devils?

Especially since the Hawks are so hot at the moment.

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
Not really, it was only natural. Most people here support Boston teams for every other sport anyway, so once Hartford's team was gone, they simply became Boston fans for hockey too.

Naturally pathetic. The Bruins were their rival. I'd rather die!

NJCroMag

Mar 15, 2013
When I was a kid, it would have been whoever was local to me at the time...so either the Rangers or the Islanders.

Right now, though, it'd be the Capitals.

I do volunteer work for the Hershey Bears and have spent a lot of time around players and coaches (past and present), so the Washington Capitals are kinda my "backup" team at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad