If The Devils Never Existed Who Would You Root For?

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
Started as a Penguins fan when I was a young kid living in Pittsburgh. Without the Devils I never would have left them I assume.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
My dad was a Rangers fan before the Devils came into existence. He was living in NJ just before they came around too, so odds are.... ugh. That's a nauseating thought.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I assume the Rangers but I don't really know. If the Devils left the league now I'd probably end up a Blackhawks or Predators fan.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I have a disdain for Philly sports teams (Phillies, 76ers, Eagles), a strong strong dislike for James Dolan and MSG based teams (Knicks), and a strong strong strong dislike of Boston based teams (Red Sox, Patriots).

I also have an uncharacteristic disloyalty to teams with "New York" in their name outside of the Yankees (born-and-raised a fan). I hate the Jets and the Giants. My teams growing up:

New Jersey Nets, New York Yankees, New Jersey Devils, with no strong ties to football.

So I guess by default I would be an Islanders fan? But I don't see myself even tolerating the Islanders. Tough question.

Xegiie

Oct 21, 2011
Czech republic
Jagr:P
now seriously when I was young I was a hockey fan
but then I lost interest somehow.
Jagr made me love it again, when he was comming back from KHL, I watched only few games when he was there.
But since then if I can I watch him play I do, saw almost every game when he was flyer and since that..
I know you gonna say so what:) but if you consider most of these games ends at times I wake up and go to work, its pretty tough.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
If the Devils had never existed, Red Wings. I have family in Detroit who used to bring me wings stuff when I was really little. If the Devils left right now, it would be a toss up between the Wings and the Sens

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
This will be interesting to see just how much the Devils have sipphoned off from the Rangers/Flyers or if they have created a new market.

One also wonders just how huge the Rangers base would have been.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
My parents didn't pay for Sportschannel when I was young so all I saw on TV was the Rangers. I was a Ranger fan til I was about 7 (1994). My cousins had Devils season tickets and bought me stuff, took me to games, and converted me.

Status Quo*

Islanders fan. My Dad was an Isles fan until the Devils came here. He left the Isles in the middle of their cup run too :laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Right as I was getting into hockey, I remember myself and many of my friends being so into the Chicago Blackhawks because of I believe it was NHL92 and the Blackhawks being on the cover. We would always pick them to play as (these were the days where you could only play single games or playoff series, no franchise mode or be a pro :laugh: ... That's weird to think about). Anyways, their team was stacked with Eddie Belfor, Jeremy Roenick and the likes. I would think I would be a Blackhawks fan for that reason and I still root for them when against anyone but the Devils. Thankfully one Marty Brodeur came along and made my hometown team stand out to me. (Nobody in my family were sports fans at the time)

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
This isn't even hypothetical. The Devils didn't exist, and I rooted for the Rangers.

DevilChuk*

Rangers, quite easily.

Would be true for most who grew up in NJ (well, not South Jersey at least).

and I wouldn't even have batted an eyelash

Mogwai211

Jan 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
As a diehard Scott Stevens fan, my loyalty would've been with St. Louis. I've always wondered how the Blues history would've played out had Stevens remained there.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
hmmm, I was a hockey fan before the Devils were in existence and I always hated the Ranger's, Actually, I think I always just hated Ranger Fans....I rooted for the Oilers to knock off the Islanders and pretty much liked just my favorite players. Didn't get to see many games outside the Ranger games on channel 9 but my favorite players were all from hockey cards that I started collecting in 1980.

Really became fan after the 1980 Olympics, so I was very interested in US Born players...Mark Johnson was my favorite player from that team so I followed his career through newspaper box scores while he was in Pittsburgh then into Hartford.

If you forced a 10 year old me to answer "who is your favorite team" I think I would've said the Edmonton Oilers.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Jagr:P
now seriously when I was young I was a hockey fan
but then I lost interest somehow.
Jagr made me love it again, when he was comming back from KHL, I watched only few games when he was there.
But since then if I can I watch him play I do, saw almost every game when he was flyer and since that..
I know you gonna say so what:) but if you consider most of these games ends at times I wake up and go to work, its pretty tough.

My mom is Czech, and I get the impression that whatever Jagr does, everyone in the Czech Republic goes nuts over / talks about it.

I remember visiting in 2008 and all people could talk about was him going to Omsk.

apice3*

Bruins, probably. I hate pretty much every thing about New York. Only NY sports team I like it the Nets and they were a former NJ tenant. Hate the Yankees, Jets, Rangers, and Knicks. Very meh about the Isles and Giants. Somewhat respect the Mets, only because their success in turn pisses off Yankee fans so that's good.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ugh, probably the Rangers...maybe the Bruins. I was born in Boston, but moved from Maine to New Jersey when I was 5 and never looked back. Always been a Yankees, Jets and Devils fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad