Value of: If the Devils get the #3-#6 pick...

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm not 100% on this but I think that you can expose players with a NTC for the expansion draft. It's just the NMC's that have to be protected. This would allow Shero to expose Cammy without needing his permission. Again I'm not 100% on that though.

I think there's a decent chance Vegas would select Cammy because his cap hit is a little high but only for two more years. It would help them reach the floor for those two years and then they can just cut their ties afterwards. He could offer slight veteran leadership as well.

You are correct, Shero can expose Cams to LV (he has a NTC), NMC's are the one that need to take a protected spot .
But, I would prefer a move pre-ExpDraft to get something for Cams (not much). This way they can expose LJ. Also, it looks like Shero tried to place PAP and Quincey on teams that had a shot of competing for the cup, I think he MIGHT consider that, but as long as there is value coming back.
And honestly I am hoping that Shero is trying to work a plan to move Clowes last year to LV for cap floor purposes and include our high 2nd for one of the d men Vegas will be picking up. Its little to no money out of pocket and gets them to the floor. We are done needing this, just spend the cash now!

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Take BPA (who can still develop into a very good player), commit to the rebuild, maybe test the market for Hall & Schneider but there's no rush to move either player unless you get an overpayment of future help.

Rebuilds aren't quick, but you know what? You guys got three cups under the Brodeur era of the Devils. Now the roller coaster has dropped off steeply, but trading a top 5 pick for something like JVR+ is a very bad move for Jersey and a very good move for Toronto.

Yeah let LL earn his bad picks like he did here in Jersey, don't help him!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
HFBoards thinks rebuilding means ice an AHL team, get 20 wins, and pray the lottery goes in your favor, and repeat for 5 years.

Fortunately I think Ray Shero has a much more pragmatic approach. New Jersey has a lot of mid-range prospects and can fill many of their roster holes internally within the next 1-3 years. Obviously, we need more top-end talent, but so do a lot of other teams.

NJ will get a top prospect in this year's draft regardless of whether they pick #1 or #5. This team has the money to overpay a top pairing defenseman in free agency and add some complimentary pieces. I would look to dangle Henrique in trade, I think his reputation far overshadows his actual skill set.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
HFBoards thinks rebuilding means ice an AHL team, get 20 wins, and pray the lottery goes in your favor, and repeat for 5 years.

Fortunately I think Ray Shero has a much more pragmatic approach. New Jersey has a lot of mid-range prospects and can fill many of their roster holes internally within the next 1-3 years. Obviously, we need more top-end talent, but so do a lot of other teams.

NJ will get a top prospect in this year's draft regardless of whether they pick #1 or #5. This team has the money to overpay a top pairing defenseman in free agency and add some complimentary pieces. I would look to dangle Henrique in trade, I think his reputation far overshadows his actual skill set.

I think if the Devils package their 1st, another pick, and Henrique (50% retained) they can get something really valuable back ex: Duchene (especially if Liljegren is still on the board). And then use Cap to get a Shattenkirk and get Oshie. If this all occurs, the team would look kind of nice:

Hall-Duchene-Oshie
Zacha-Zajac-Palmieri
McLeod-Quenneville-Cammalleri
Wood-Blandisi-Speers

Severson - Shattenkirk
Greene - Lovejoy/Moore
Kapla - Santini

Schneider
Wedgewood

PP 1:

Hall-Duchene-Oshie
Shattenkirk-Palmieri

PP 2:

Zacha-Zajac-Wood
Severson/Moore-Cammalleri

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think if the Devils package their 1st, another pick, and Henrique (50% retained) they can get something really valuable back ex: Duchene (especially if Liljegren is still on the board). And then use Cap to get a Shattenkirk and get Oshie. If this all occurs, the team would look kind of nice:

Hall-Duchene-Oshie
Zacha-Zajac-Palmieri
McLeod-Quenneville-Cammalleri
Wood-Blandisi-Speers

Severson - Shattenkirk
Greene - Lovejoy/Moore
Kapla - Santini

Schneider
Wedgewood

PP 1:

Hall-Duchene-Oshie
Shattenkirk-Palmieri

PP 2:

Zacha-Zajac-Wood
Severson/Moore-Cammalleri

This is absolutely ridiculous :laugh:

We'd be lucky to get ONE of Duchene/Shattenkirk/Oshie. Penciling in all three is just delusional.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
JVR would probably resign in NJ, it's his hometown.

I'd offer JVR (w/extension)+ Kapanen if Liljgren is still on the table

As a Leafs fan, if NJD was in the 4-6 range, I'd love to do a deal... I'm not sure that we've got what it takes though. Some package involving pieces such as Bozak, JvR, our 2017 1st, Bracco, Timashov, Liepsic, Johnson, Soshnikov, Rychel.. would be available in some sort of package, some of our LHD on the Marlies as well....

New Jersey is probably better off just retooling/rebuilding and keeping the pick... but, I'd be willing to part with enough pieces to get a deal done, to fill a need on our end.

So as a Leafs fan, id love a pick like this.
Only way we can really make a deal is if NJ is looking to restock the cupboard at with a wide variety of pieces. Some combo of

Piece 1: Do they want a young cheaper option or a more established star who would need to be re signed?
- Kapanen - legit top 6 forward prospect who at 20 is a PPG in the AHL. Fast as hell.
-JVR - Solid top 6 big bodied W. One more year on a cheap deal, looks like a legit 30-30 threat every year he's been with us.

Additional pieces possible:
- Marincin - young D who is usually seen as a #6 right now with #4/5 potential.
- 2nd round pick - We have two
- Bracco, Timashov, Liepsic, Johnson - AHL/Junior Wingers who are looking good and have some serious skill.
- Soshnikov - Currently 4W, with easy to see 3W upside. Hard working 3W with grit and some insane speed.

This is all assuming Lil D is still available.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Only way we can really make a deal is if NJ is looking to restock the cupboard at with a wide variety of pieces. Some combo of

Piece 1: Do they want a young cheaper option or a more established star who would need to be re signed?
- Kapanen - legit top 6 forward prospect who at 20 is a PPG in the AHL. Fast as hell.
-JVR - Solid top 6 big bodied W. One more year on a cheap deal, looks like a legit 30-30 threat every year he's been with us.

- Bracco, Timashov, Liepsic, Johnson - AHL/Junior Wingers who are looking good and have some serious skill.
- Soshnikov - Currently 4W, with easy to see 3W upside. Hard working 3W with grit and some insane speed.

New Jersey needs quality, not quantity.

It would make zero sense for us to move a top pick for a handful of lesser pieces. JVR doesn't do a ton for us, either.

PokerPig

Jan 10, 2009
Burnaby, BC
Erik Gudbranson
Ben Hutton
2nd Round Pick
-
Ben Lovejoy
1st Round Pick

LD - Greene, Hutton, Moore, Merrill
RD - Severson, Gudbranson, Santini, Prout

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Devils have too many holes and I think they should look at moving both Hall and schneider to start stock piling depth

We're not moving Hall or Schneider under any circumstance their part of the future. We also don't have too many holes just three glaring holes. We need a 1st line center, top 6RW and 1st pairing RHD. We have a ton of cap space, 21 picks in the next two drafts and some tradeable assets, as long as their not named Hall, Schneider, Palmieri or Zacha.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Erik Gudbranson
Ben Hutton
2nd Round Pick
-
Ben Lovejoy
1st Round Pick

LD - Greene, Hutton, Moore, Merrill
RD - Severson, Gudbranson, Santini, Prout

I presume that's a 2050 1st rounder?

because otherwise there's no shot I come close to making that deal. It's ****ing horrible for the Devils. Two middle pairing defensemen for a top 5 pick? Sign me up!

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I thought New Jersey was cemented in the 3rd place position.

However it looks like vancouver wont win again............. Maybe EVER.

Gonna half to hope for some good odds in the lottery

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
What's next year and the year after

How quick of a turn around are we hoping for? I don't see goaltending as the issue. Schneider is a proven commodity but most likely was uninspired this year while Kinkaid was shaky at times but has grown and proven to be an overall solid backup. Hall shouldn't be seen as the goals guy as much as a team performer and needs support. I don't think replacing them is a positive move when they have so much to offer as example and we won't get a return without giving away the farm.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Yeah. As I've said earlier I hope he comes around to loving it in NJ but IMO he's not sold yet. See how excited he was to assist on the OT goal last night? Couldn't care less. Could be because Moore over celebrated but Hall looked like he didn't care one bit.

How many meaningless late season wins has Hall been a part of in his career? I bet that number is over 50. Guy wants to win

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
How many meaningless late season wins has Hall been a part of in his career? I bet that number is over 50. Guy wants to win

Exactly... and thats probably why he won't stick around unless Shero can magically turn this bottom 3 team in a top 10 team next year. This guy must be sick and tired of getting smacked around every single freaking season of his NHL career.

Players aren't robots and at some point, they'll grow tired of having to go through the same nonsense over and over and over again.

We're not moving Hall or Schneider under any circumstance their part of the future. We also don't have too many holes just three glaring holes. We need a 1st line center, top 6RW and 1st pairing RHD. We have a ton of cap space, 21 picks in the next two drafts and some tradeable assets, as long as their not named Hall, Schneider, Palmieri or Zacha.

This is the kind of post of a fan who doesn't want to see the truth of our current situation. We don't have too many holes, just 3 glaring holes? You're saying that as if we can come up with those assets in a span of a year or two. First line centers are close to impossible to acquire and the kids we drafted aren't going to cut it for the remainder of Hall's deal. The same can be said about the #1 RD we're missing and I'd even go a step further and say we're lacking a top pairing d-men, period. Andy Greene isn't a #1 guy, outside of NJ, and his play has declined, which was only normal after the loss of Larsson and being overworked for the past several seasons.

This team is no way, shape or form a contender for at least, the next couple of seasons and acting as if we can just sign Shattenkirk, trade for Brodin/Dumba/Vatanen/Fowler/etc and add a top #6 forward in a single offseason would take a major miracle from Ray Shero.

I'm not being negative... just realistic.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
This is the kind of post of a fan who doesn't want to see the truth of our current situation. We don't have too many holes, just 3 glaring holes? You're saying that as if we can come up with those assets in a span of a year or two. First line centers are close to impossible to acquire and the kids we drafted aren't going to cut it for the remainder of Hall's deal. The same can be said about the #1 RD we're missing and I'd even go a step further and say we're lacking a top pairing d-men, period. Andy Greene isn't a #1 guy, outside of NJ, and his play has declined, which was only normal after the loss of Larsson and being overworked for the past several seasons.

This team is no way, shape or form a contender for at least, the next couple of seasons and acting as if we can just sign Shattenkirk, trade for Brodin/Dumba/Vatanen/Fowler/etc and add a top #6 forward in a single offseason would take a major miracle from Ray Shero.

I think signing Shattenkirk is a very realistic thing to hope for. I also think trading for a top 4 defenseman from a cap strapped or expansion strapped team is a realistic thing to hope for as well. I think a top 6 forward probably won't happen. Gonna have to wait another year for that. But I really do think Shero can find a way to do at least 1 of the three tasks he has. Completing 2 of them will be tough but definitely not impossible at all. All three is not gonna happen lol

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Exactly... and thats probably why he won't stick around unless Shero can magically turn this bottom 3 team in a top 10 team next year. This guy must be sick and tired of getting smacked around every single freaking season of his NHL career.

Players aren't robots and at some point, they'll grow tired of having to go through the same nonsense over and over and over again.

These are all realistic possibilities, but will they all happen in one offseason. Definitely not

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think signing Shattenkirk is a very realistic thing to hope for. I also think trading for a top 4 defenseman from a cap strapped or expansion strapped team is a realistic thing to hope for as well. I think a top 6 forward probably won't happen. Gonna have to wait another year for that. But I really do think Shero can find a way to do at least 1 of the three tasks he has. Completing 2 of them will be tough but definitely not impossible at all. All three is not gonna happen lol

Getting Shattenkirk should be the number 1 priority for Shero. Without some help on D we won't compete next year, but what people fail to remember is that NJ has a lot of youth coming up so it's not exactly hard to imagine the offense naturally improving with guys like Zacha, Quenneville and McLeod starting to contribute more. Henrique and Hall also had a down year this year as did Schneider so if we can bring in a guy like Shattty I'm all for trading our 1st for someone who can jump in and help immediately.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

Not anymore we don't.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
At this point Id say the Devils should explore trading Schneider and Hall for top picks and top prospects.

Right now Id say if they could have a do-over on Schneider for Horvat, and Hall for Larson, that they should take it. They win both trades value wise, but it doesnt makes sense with where the organization is atm.

Hall is a great winger. Teams dont win with wingers. Schneider had an off season, but I still think hes a top 10 goaltender. But hes now in his 30s. Hell be nearly done by the time NJ has it together again, though I think hell be a legit starter into his late 30s since he has had less ware and tear for being a backup behind Luongo and Brodeur for as long as hes had to.

They should sell on their best parts that wont be apart of their rebuilt club. Cant see Hall doing well after having gone through the same thing with the Oilers for much longer. Trade him while he's still considered a top line LW.

THat team is imo the worst mess in the league. Wouldve said Vancouver, but since finally admitting rebuild status and trading veterans while accumulating some solid prospects, theyre future is starting to look far better, especially if they pull a top 2 pick.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Proven talent? For what, the Devils are not close to contention. Getting a guy like Mittelstadt would do wonders for their prospect pool. They might be pretty bad again next year, but it is all about prospect development.

Here's the thing though - the Devils aren't all that good at prospect development. I'm not even trying to be trollish here.

The best player the Devils have drafted in the last ten years is unquestionably Adam Henrique. From there, it's a murky mix of Larsson, Severson, Josefson, or Gelinas - give take - to round out the top 5.

Zacha, Santini, Merrill, and Wood may end up alright, but that doesn't really change the fact that the Devils are either really bad at selecting talent or really bad at nurturing talent.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Here's the thing though - the Devils aren't all that good at prospect development. I'm not even trying to be trollish here.

The best player the Devils have drafted in the last ten years is unquestionably Adam Henrique. From there, it's a murky mix of Larsson, Severson, Josefson, or Gelinas - give take - to round out the top 5.

Zacha, Santini, Merrill, and Wood may end up alright, but that doesn't really change the fact that the Devils are either really bad at selecting talent or really bad at nurturing talent.

they have a whole new scouting staff that was put in place prior to last year's draft. David Conte is not part of the organization anymore. The new guy is Columbus' previous director of scouting and they are pretty well off in that department in terms of who they have gotten in the draft.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

I wouldn't disagree. The Devils went through a decade of poor drafting and/or poor development. I'm not entirely convinced they have 'good' drafting or development now, but they got rid of that entire staff.. so unless it's the very name of the team that dictates drafting or development, things should be different. That's different, not even necessarily better. Declaring the current Devils developmental team as really bad at nurturing talent is unfair given they weren't the ones who earned the Devils that moniker.

So far, at least on the drafting front, things look to be much, much better with last year's draft probably one of our best in a long time. Jury is definitely out on the development part.. we'll need to give them a few years though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad