Speculation: If the cap drops in 2013-2014...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
The recent proposal being debated has the cap dropping from $70.2 mil to $60.5 mil for the start of the 2013-2014 season.

Play GM Shero's role and get the Pens under the cap. Then post your proposed line-up.

UFA's:

Matt Cooke ($1.8m - 12/13)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.5m - 12/13)
Craig Adams ($0.675m - 12/13)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m -12/13)

RFA's:

Tyler Kennedy ($2.0m - 12/13)
Eric Tangradi ($0.726m - 12/13)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m - 12/13)
Brian Strait ($0.606m - 12/13)

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
The recent proposal being debated has the cap dropping from $70.2 mil to $60.5 mil for the start of the 2013-2014 season.

Play GM Shero's role and get the Pens under the cap. Then post your proposed line-up.

UFA's:

RFA's:

Package Strait + TK in a trade, cut ties with Craig Adams, buy Bylsma some tissue to dry his tears.

Buy-out Paul Martin.

Clone James Neal.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
It might be redundant with the roster we have, but if things shake up a bit, I'd like Shero to make an attempt to get Jannik Hansen.

He's like a less ugly TK who actually has good hockey IQ and a shot that doesn't go straight into the goalies logo.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I don't know how it could ever happen but if we could find a way to ship Martin + salary + D prospect / 1st Round pick 2014 to SJ for Murray and Clowe, we'd be set.

Murray addresses a weakness of Martin's, is much cheaper, is young, and Clowe would be the perfect winger for Sid and this system IMO. I think we'd have to pay a hefty price on the D side because we have nothing to offer but a 3rd line tweener for the offensive side (Kennedy) but it would be great if Shero coudl do it.

What do you guys think... is

Martin
2014 1st
D Prospect not named Despres, Pouliot, Morrow (Maatta?)
Kennedy?

fair payment? I doubt it's enough. Just thinking aloud.

More likely though EDM could be a trade partner because they'd actually pay a decent price for Martin + D Prospects whereas SJ might not. I think the obvious bait would be Hemsky (maybe + 2013 1st or 2nd Rounder as they're not likely to finish near the bottom with that offense). They'd likely be happy to part ways with him for some defensive stability, much as I've not wanted to see us trade for him at times.

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
About $61M and 23 players. They're well under for this year and right at the line for next year. That's why we can't keep Martin past this year. He ham-strings our ability to re-sign key players or FA in a tight Cap situation.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Currently at $60,989,333 cap payroll, 23 roster players.

I want Dupers and Cooke back for the right price. The other guys...depends on what else is out there and how they perform this season, should there be one.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I'm curious as to how players will be valued by teams in the new CBA. What's Kris Letang worth when the salary cap is 60 million instead of 70? Will he be valued at a proportioned 6/7 of what the old cap was, or is a player of his caliber above that logic? What about a bottom pairing defenseman or bottom 6 forward?

I think how that shakes out will figure in a lot to what the Pens will be able to do.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Package Strait + TK in a trade, cut ties with Craig Adams, buy Bylsma some tissue to dry his tears.

Buy-out Paul Martin.

Clone James Neal.

Unless the cap is north of 65M for 2013-2014 AND Martin really steps up his game this year, I think Martin is gone.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

UFA's:

RFA's:

Jeffrey and Lovejoy let go. Could possibly lean to Strait and Adams leaving but not entirely 100% on that.

Rest resigned with varying contracts depending on performances this year.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I wonder if star players like Malkin and Letang will ask for more salary per year with a potential contract limit (5, 6 years?)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if star players like Malkin and Letang will ask for more salary per year with a potential contract limit (5, 6 years?)

Letang will. Part of me thinks (or maybe it's a bit more of hoping) with Malkin that there might be an understanding with ownership that he can have a deal averaging 8.7M a year as long as he likes (i.e., an understanding that his next deal will average 8.7M a year so that he makes the same cap hit as Sid as long as he wants to be a Penguin).

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I think Dupuis will be re upped for 2 more years at his current cap it. I'd like to see Cooke gone. Fill his roll with a Jeffery/Tangradi or even some UFA. Haven't looked at the list of up comers.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

UFA's:

RFA's:

You're forgetting Bortuzzo

I doubt lovejoy will be resigned and one of Strait or Bortuzzo will be traded.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006

UFA's:

RFA's:

If I am Shero i let all 4 UFA's hit the market. Given the buyouts and the unsigned free agents that are going to be available there is not basis for what the market is going to be. 1.8 might buy a bigger upgrade than a Matt Cooke if the cap is only 60 million. I role the dice on not re-signing them at this point. Dupuis is the only one i'm iffy on but he's not that essential that we can't run the risk.

I'd qualify the 4 RFA's but again, i would not sign them until after UFA opens. I can't imagine anyone making an offer sheet on any of them given where the teams will be and who will be available in the UFA market so again, its a wait and see process.

If someone was interested in Tyler i'd move his rights for a late round pick at the draft, but that is the most i would do.

My gut tells me the cap will drop to somewhere around 62 when it is all said and done with the option to buy out 2 players. That puts the Penguins in a really good position with about 6 mil in cap if these UFA's walk. Granted guys will need to be re-signed for the following year but right now the Pens would have some flexability to be buyers next UFA period.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I would keep both Cooke and Dupuis over Kennedy. They play important roles on this team, are familiar with the system and are relatively inexpensive. They're the kind of players that give a GM flexibility to go out and get other guys, and the kind of players most Cup winners have on their roster.

I think Kennedy can be effectively replaced by Jeffrey (Cooke moves to RW where he's played in the past), or Tangradi, even though neither of those guys is as fast as Kennedy and both have a different style of play. Money-wise and system-wise though it could still work.

But the biggest albatross is Martin (not Redden-like but still enough to cause us problems next year). He has to be Shero's #1 priority in terms of trade or buy-out. There's not a close second.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I think Dupuis will be re upped for 2 more years at his current cap it. I'd like to see Cooke gone. Fill his roll with a Jeffery/Tangradi or even some UFA. Haven't looked at the list of up comers.

Cooke is 34 and will be 35 at the start of next season (if there is one). He shouldn't be resigned by this team for 2013-14 at $1.8M. At his age, I'm fine with the team letting him walk away; I also wouldn't be upset if he hung around for another two years if he takes an annual paycut of between $800K and $1M ... and we sever ties with Adams.

I'm not an Adams hater, but he'll be 36 in April. Just for age/injuries concerns, I think there's no way the team should keep both of these aging role players.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Cooke is 34 and will be 35 at the start of next season (if there is one). He shouldn't be resigned by this team for 2013-14 at $1.8M. At his age, I'm fine with the team letting him walk away; I also wouldn't be upset if he hung around for another two years if he takes an annual paycut of between $800K and $1M ... and we sever ties with Adams.

I'm not an Adams hater, but he'll be 36 in April. Just for age/injuries concerns, I think there's no way the team should keep both of these aging role players.

I have nothing to contribute. I just wanted to say you win the award for best Avatar ever. Congratulations, bud!

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
I would keep both Cooke and Dupuis over Kennedy. They play important roles on this team, are familiar with the system and are relatively inexpensive. They're the kind of players that give a GM flexibility to go out and get other guys, and the kind of players most Cup winners have on their roster.

I think Kennedy can be effectively replaced by Jeffrey (Cooke moves to RW where he's played in the past), or Tangradi, even though neither of those guys is as fast as Kennedy and both have a different style of play. Money-wise and system-wise though it could still work.

But the biggest albatross is Martin (not Redden-like but still enough to cause us problems next year). He has to be Shero's #1 priority in terms of trade or buy-out. There's not a close second.

I agree with what you said about value but i don't think there is any risk letting these guys test the market while Shero explores other options. the likelihood of teams coming in and offering Colby Armstrong money to a guy like Dupuis next year will be low since most teams will be cap restricted so being able to re-sign him after the UFA opens is still likely.

Cooke i would consider after UFA opens if he takes a pay-cut. I think he can be replaced in the system with grinders and isn't as crucial as he used to be now that some of the lower line prospects are beginning to develop.

As for Kennedy, i think we qualify him just so we don't lose him for free but i don't think he's a key component either. I'd rather give Bennett a shot next year to play in place of Kennedy if he continues his development in the AHL like he is.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
don't think the penguins are in this camp. But I wonder how many teams will buy out someone and then give them a lower contract.

Thereby giving the player his money (he's happy) and keeping him on a lower cap hit. (GM happy).

Take someone like (for example) Crosby, he has a cap hit of 8.7M. You could buy out his contract, and the resign him to 7 year deal with a 1M cap hit. Thereby he effectively is getting more money then he would have originally, but the team has huge flexibility now to get more talent in.

Certainly unethical/violates the spirt of things, but I wonder who will be first to try this or if there is language in they buyout clause that a team can't resign someone they buy out.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
don't think the penguins are in this camp. But I wonder how many teams will buy out someone and then give them a lower contract.

Thereby giving the player his money (he's happy) and keeping him on a lower cap hit. (GM happy).

Take someone like (for example) Crosby, he has a cap hit of 8.7M. You could buy out his contract, and the resign him to 7 year deal with a 1M cap hit. Thereby he effectively is getting more money then he would have originally, but the team has huge flexibility now to get more talent in.

Certainly unethical/violates the spirt of things, but I wonder who will be first to try this or if there is language in they buyout clause that a team can't resign someone they buy out.

It was directly in the last CBA barring it. If you buy out a player, you can't re-sign him for the length of the buyout. Who knows if it'll make the next CBA but given how hardline the owners are, you'd have to think they would include that. The league isn't going to want team's buying out a player and then bringing him back.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
That would make sense if the CBA prevents you from re-signing someone you buy out. But then again nothing about this lockout really makes a whole lot of sense, nor does a variance from year to year of 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad