If the big 3 teams go down who becomes the new favourite?

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I sorta think Montreal and Boston are better than Pittsburgh and Chicago anyway, but not being the two most recent Cup champs, they gotta prove it, obviously. Still not prepared to give up on the Sharks or Ducks.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
The next tier of playoff teams in the west is crowded, and not that far below Chicago. Anaheim, Nashville, Minny, and San Jose all see themselves as contenders.

In the east, I'm surprised Columbus isn't a more popular choice in this thread. They have been a powerhouse this season. If the Pens are eliminated, it's Columbus holding the smoking gun.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So I think we can agree that the big 3 teams in terms of winning the cup are the Pens, Hawks and Caps

but let me ask you a question what if those teams go down? what if the Jackets beat the pens, the Leafs beat the caps and the Hawks don't make the final?

who becomes the new favourite? I think the east would be WIDE open because none of the teams that would be left in the east are what I would call powerhouse clubs they all have MAJOR flaws

in the West I'd go with Calgay, I don't love the goaltending but I think the rest of that team is great I love the rest of that club I think they are solid from top to bottom

I think if the Hawks go down Calgary goes to the final, if the caps and pens go down I honestly don't know i could be anybody

Columbus in the east no brainer.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
So I think we can agree that the big 3 teams in terms of winning the cup are the Pens, Hawks and Caps

but let me ask you a question what if those teams go down? what if the Jackets beat the pens, the Leafs beat the caps and the Hawks don't make the final?

who becomes the new favourite? I think the east would be WIDE open because none of the teams that would be left in the east are what I would call powerhouse clubs they all have MAJOR flaws

in the West I'd go with Calgay, I don't love the goaltending but I think the rest of that team is great I love the rest of that club I think they are solid from top to bottom

I think if the Hawks go down Calgary goes to the final, if the caps and pens go down I honestly don't know i could be anybody

I know this is what you want to read, so i'll say it. THE LEAFS WIN THE CUP !

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
The next tier of playoff teams in the west is crowded, and not that far below Chicago. Anaheim, Nashville, Minny, and San Jose all see themselves as contenders.

In the east, I'm surprised Columbus isn't a more popular choice in this thread. They have been a powerhouse this season. If the Pens are eliminated, it's Columbus holding the smoking gun.

very much agree with this.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Assuming the OP means in the 1st rd then yeah the Blue Jackets have a good ride to the finals at least.
They'd beat the Pens then get the Leafs in the 2nd. They'd actually play Bob (he didn't play the Leafs once in the season) so they'd beat them. Then play who ever comes out of the Atlantic div.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Assume the Hawks, Caps and Pens go down, It'd have to be CBJ, NYR or Habs in the East, but the west is wide open. Oilers I think have the best shot (for Canada) as their path is easier IMO to get to the finals.

But I think it's going to be a Wild and CBJ final based on the initial scenario (assuming CBJ beats both Pitts and Caps).

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Except the Leafs haven't beaten the Canadiens since January 18, 2014 (14 straight losses) so I'd imagine the Canadiens would steamroll them in a playoff series

If the leafs raise their game enough to knock off Wash and then either CBJ/Pitt they would make short work of Montreal IMO. Habs already get the easy route to the East Finals.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Assume the Hawks, Caps and Pens go down, It'd have to be CBJ, NYR or Habs in the East, but the west is wide open. Oilers I think have the best shot (for Canada) as their path is easier IMO to get to the finals.

But I think it's going to be a Wild and CBJ final based on the initial scenario (assuming CBJ beats both Pitts and Caps).

The Ducks and Wild are toughies if on their game, could definitely kill the Oilers offence. Actually prefer they play the Hawks.

As to the OP; CBJ obviously, MTL, OTT, NYR, BOS, ANA, EDM, NAS, and MIN. That narrowed it lots :D.

The Blue Jackets would be in the conference finals for sure so there's one. Any of MTL, OTT, NYR, or BOS as that bracket is pretty evenly matched. NAS and MIN with the Hawks gone. Most likely the Ducks from their bracket, Oilers if hot and inexperience isn't as heavy as could be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad