If the 2006 draft were tomorrow, pick Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
The Swedish national team coach, Bengt-Åke Gustafsson, has said that Bäckström will be tested on the national team in the upcoming tournament if his team Brynäs is out of the playoffs (which is most likely since they are down 3-0).

BÅG stated earlier in the season that Bäckström was too young to play in the national team. But his recent play has been to good, not to give him a shot with the big boys.

I can add that it's extremely unusual that a player at Bäckström's age plays for the Swedish national team.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Coolburn said:
The problem with a top 10 is that you really do have to take into account the teams doing the picking. Like if St. Louis gets the #1 pick, they may go with Kessel instead of Johnson (and if the Pens got the pick they'd prefer Johnson over Kessel IMO). That's why I have yet to post a top 10 because I don't think you can disregard the teams involved (as borro suggested when this thread was started). To me, that's like what Redline does and its never exactly as the top 10 goes compared to his list (I just look at his top 10 to see who's rising or falling based on recent play). So I'm going to use the current standings and put a top 10 list attached to the teams (obviously without any lottery consideration which could change the order):

1. Pittsburgh - D Eric Johnson
2. St. Louis - C Phil Kessel
3. Chicago - C Jonathan Toews
4. Washington - C/RW Niklas Backstrom
5. Columbus - C Jordan Staal
6. Boston - LW/RW Michael Frolik
7. Florida - D Nigel Williams
8. Phoenix - C Peter Mueller
9. Toronto - C James Sheppard
10. NY Islanders - RW Kyle Okposo

Even including the teams and looking at the list, looks pretty close anyways (with maybe Williams & Frolik possibly being higher than most would have them). I don't think either Brassard or Little are going to be top 10 picks (but should be in the 10-15 area definitely) but it could definitely depend on the team selecting and how much those teams in that 8-10 area like them.

Bank on the Caps going with Staal or Mueller in that scenario. George McPhee loves CHL players.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Phil Kessel C 6'0 190
Erik Johnson D 6'3 200
Jonathan Toews C 6'2 195
Bryan Little C 5'11 195
Niklas Backstrom C
Jordan Staal
Nigel Williams
Micheal Frolik
James Sheppard
Peter Mueller

As an Ottawa fan, I'd love to see Muckler pick Bryan Little or take Vasyunov.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Spetzky said:
Phil Kessel C 6'0 190
Erik Johnson D 6'3 200
Jonathan Toews C 6'2 195
Bryan Little C 5'11 195
Niklas Backstrom C
Jordan Staal
Nigel Williams
Micheal Frolik
James Sheppard
Peter Mueller

As an Ottawa fan, I'd love to see Muckler pick Bryan Little or take Vasyunov.

Those heights are a bit screwey. Johnson is 6'4, Toews 6'1, and Little 5'10.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
1. Erik Johnson
2. Phil Kessell
3. Jordan Staal
4. Niklas Bakstrom
5. Derrick Brassard
6. Peter Mueller
7. Jonathan Toews (overrated)
8. James Sheppard
9. Michael Frolik
10. Nigel Williams

CoolburnIsGone

NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
Bank on the Caps going with Staal or Mueller in that scenario. George McPhee loves CHL players.
I really debated that too because I did realize that fact. I think it comes down to Staal or Backstrom though for the Caps. And while I'm sure a lot of people are trying to avoid the Forsberg comparison, I hear that Backstrom has the same kinda playmaking skills and that would make a lot of sense to pair him with AO.

Vic Rattlehead*

Coolburn said:

If that happened on draft day, I'd be peeved. Missing out on Staal by one pick? :banghead:

;)

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Coolburn said:
The problem with a top 10 is that you really do have to take into account the teams doing the picking. Like if St. Louis gets the #1 pick, they may go with Kessel instead of Johnson (and if the Pens got the pick they'd prefer Johnson over Kessel IMO). That's why I have yet to post a top 10 because I don't think you can disregard the teams involved (as borro suggested when this thread was started). To me, that's like what Redline does and its never exactly as the top 10 goes compared to his list (I just look at his top 10 to see who's rising or falling based on recent play). So I'm going to use the current standings and put a top 10 list attached to the teams (obviously without any lottery consideration which could change the order):

Even including the teams and looking at the list, looks pretty close anyways (with maybe Williams & Frolik possibly being higher than most would have them). I don't think either Brassard or Little are going to be top 10 picks (but should be in the 10-15 area definitely) but it could definitely depend on the team selecting and how much those teams in that 8-10 area like them.
Looks good to me, i'd be very happy if the leafs took Sheppard.

Dec 15, 2002
Coolburn said:
Two points:

1. The Blues won't be picking 2nd - they'll either hit the lottery and be 1st, or they'll be 3rd or 4th.

2. The only way the Blues take Kessel IMO is if Johnson, Staal and Toews are off the board when they pick (and in that scenario, they might trade down a spot or two and let someone that wants Kessel take him).

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
monster_bertuzzi said:
Those heights are a bit screwey. Johnson is 6'4, Toews 6'1, and Little 5'10.

i might've gotten my heights from a different place than you did
but i got EJs weight way off.

Transported Upstater

Irish Blues said:
Two points:

1. The Blues won't be picking 2nd - they'll either hit the lottery and be 1st, or they'll be 3rd or 4th.

2. The only way the Blues take Kessel IMO is if Johnson, Staal and Toews are off the board when they pick (and in that scenario, they might trade down a spot or two and let someone that wants Kessel take him).

IB, I am in no way questioning your statement, but why would St. Louis not take Kessel? Is the team brass that low on him?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fredrik said:
I don't think it has happened since Näslund/Forsberg but I wouldn't compare Bäckström's future to theirs. Yet.

Did Näslund or Forsberg play for Three Crowns before they where drafted? Forsberg where 18 but not drafted in 92.

Sundin did in the 90' WCH.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Ola said:
Did Näslund or Forsberg play for Three Crowns before they where drafted? Forsberg where 18 but not drafted in 92.

Sundin did in the 90' WCH.

Sundin was drafted in '89 and Forsberg in '91. I'm pretty sure neither played for Tre Kronor before being drafted. I'm also rather sure that the twins did. But remember that the twins and Bäckström are born late in the year, hence not draft-eligible as b-juniors, hence, in a sense, a year older when they were /will be drafted than Sundin or Forsberg.

Dec 15, 2002
TransportedUpstater said:
IB, I am in no way questioning your statement, but why would St. Louis not take Kessel? Is the team brass that low on him?
I think they see other guys with higher upsides and fewer headaches. Put it this way: from what everyone else here said about Kessel's style of play at the WJC's this year (how he continually tried the same move over and over against opposing teams even when it was clear it wasn't working and his infrequent use of linemates), I can easily see the Blues steering clear of him unless everyone else that's somewhat comparable is off the board.

I don't know where Jarmo Kekalainen and the scouting staff has him ranked (nor am I or anyone else likely to ever find out), but after talking to Jarmo a couple of times about things in general (nothing pertaining to this year's draft in particular), I'm pretty confident that the Blues *won't* draft him.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
People calling Toews overrated or slotting him outside the top 5 are kidding themselves. They hear him called a 'safe' pick and get scared. He's not Patrick Stefan or David Legwand safe. He is one of the most skilled players in the draft. Just because he's got a great all around game doesn't mean he's not going to score points. He is going to score points and be an offensive player in the NHL. And he's also as close to a sure shot as you can get. He'll be taken in the top three or four.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Irish Blues said:
I think they see other guys with higher upsides and fewer headaches. Put it this way: from what everyone else here said about Kessel's style of play at the WJC's this year (how he continually tried the same move over and over against opposing teams even when it was clear it wasn't working and his infrequent use of linemates), I can easily see the Blues steering clear of him unless everyone else that's somewhat comparable is off the board.

I don't know where Jarmo Kekalainen and the scouting staff has him ranked (nor am I or anyone else likely to ever find out), but after talking to Jarmo a couple of times about things in general (nothing pertaining to this year's draft in particular), I'm pretty confident that the Blues *won't* draft him.

Who cares what everyone "here" said about Kessel's play at the WJC's (where he led the tourney in points)? What about his body of work of the course of the season at Minnesota where he has been fantastic? How many Gopher games have you seen this year? I've seen plenty, and not only does he make excellent use of his linemates (Wheeler and Gordon) but he is very unselfish in doing so. You have noticed he leads the team in assists-right? I'm not going to deny the possibility that the Blues won't draft Kessel, but it won't be for the "reasons" you describe.

* The only player that has been specifically mentioned as being on the Blues' radar come draft time is Jordan Staal, which was in an Andy Strickland blurb in the post-Dispatch.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I have saturday season tickets. I see all of Kessels televised games. He has done that 1:1 move maybe once or twice in the last few months. And many times when he could have done it, he has passed, pulled up, or gone wide and contiuned around the net until he sees an open man.

If you do not like him, i do not care. He does have his flaws and areas where he needs work. And IMO is still a year away from the NHL. But at least get the critisism right.

jaydub*

Irish Blues said:

most of the people criticising Kessel at the WJCs were incredibly biased...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad