If the 2006 draft were tomorrow, pick Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
borro said:
One possibility is that Toews is performing outside of tournaments. Points are not a sole factor, but a Top 10 forward should score at a point a game clip unless his league is very low scoring. the thing with frolik is he has 2 goals in like 44 games but does not look good in tournaments. I can't see what justifies Frolik as a top 10 pick. I would take Little in a heartbeat over Frolik at this time. Little has tons of points and seems very much like a Brule. He's doing ok too!

Toews is doing quite well in his first year, not great but solid. Frolik is in a mans league, thus the low stats. I cant actually think of a czech top prospect who lit it up very much that young in the czech league. Out of interest what did Jagr put up as a 17 yr old in the czech league (im guessing scoring was higher in the league as awhole)? The thing that was so Pejorative Slured about the world juniors was everyone said Toews had an average tourney because of his age and defended him (fair point) but when it came to Frolik who is the same age give or take a few months it was the complete opposite.
Little is overated. He is small, does not have great skating, and is nothing like Brule. Brule was predicted to go number 2 overall in his draft year, ahead of JJ. Little isnt even projected to go top 10 in some lists this year.
When comparing points of other prospects to Froliks its always going to factor against Frolik right now. Id take his huge potential (his potential to me is similar to Kessel) other a guy like Little.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
J17ster said:
lol have no idea, as when Komi drafted i was 12 and didnt have interest in hockey whatsoever. Williams is completely different in styles from what i know, he is a big guy and physical. He is one of the risers in the 10-20 range right now, and i could see him go just before #10. IMO he is the second best D in the draft.
The only reason he is rated so high is because fo his size. He's not even close to EJ and definetly not the second best D in the draft. For his size he is not very phsyical at all. Your posts lead me to believe you have never seen him play and your just basing your projection off what is posted on these chat boards!

Rather Gingerly 1*

J17ster said:
Frolik is in a mans league, thus the low stats. I cant actually think of a czech top prospect who lit it up very much that young in the czech league. .

I can remember Bonk turning pro at 17 and drawing rave reviews

Rather Gingerly 1*

J17ster said:
Little is overated. He is small, does not have great skating, and is nothing like Brule.

Little had a great Top Prospects Game. Clearly the best offensively.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
X-SHARKIE said:
1. Kessel
2. Johnson
3. Staal
4. Okposo
5. Backstrom
6. Toews
7. Mueller
8. Williams
9. Sheppard
10. Wishart

Okposo 4th? :amazed:

Have you seen him play x-sharkie? if so, are the Brendan Morrow comparaisons accurate?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Marc the Habs Fan said:
Okposo 4th? :amazed:

Have you seen him play x-sharkie? if so, are the Brendan Morrow comparaisons accurate?

I don't think Okposo's the 4th best player in the draft, but I think people will be surprised how high he's selected. Players of his ilk (such as Chipchura and Ladd) always get picked higher than their skill level would indicate. Okposo has had an excellent year in the USHL, had a great Viking Cup, and is getting better and better as time goes on. Excellent player.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
bigd said:
The only reason he is rated so high is because fo his size. He's not even close to EJ and definetly not the second best D in the draft. For his size he is not very phsyical at all. Your posts lead me to believe you have never seen him play and your just basing your projection off what is posted on these chat boards!

Im going on reports and what ive heard from other people. For some strange reason i dont get much hockey in england.

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Little had a great Top Prospects Game. Clearly the best offensively.

Little in 5 years time will be passed by alot of guys in this draft IMO. He is one of the most overated guys in this years draft.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
little overrated....? hardly...

don't be surprised if he turns out to be a more gritty version of marc savard.

Not the biggest guy, not the greatest skater...but a hockey player simply put, can score and dish with the best of them and plays with passion.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
:) gophers getting okposo and erik johnson in next year, almost had mueller, what a trio that woulda been.

Kessel sticks around next year most likely, a national championship could be a brewing...

shhhh Sharkie don't get the word out on Okposo..I'm hoping he slides down to the wilds pick. :sarcasm:

X-SHARKIE

Chrisd said:
:) gophers getting okposo and erik johnson in next year, almost had mueller, what a trio that woulda been.

Kessel sticks around next year most likely, a national championship could be a brewing...

shhhh Sharkie don't get the word out on Okposo..I'm hoping he slides down to the wilds pick. :sarcasm:

lol, yeah I want him to be the Sharks "Surprise pick".

CoolburnIsGone

J17ster said:
I cant actually think of a czech top prospect who lit it up very much that young in the czech league. Out of interest what did Jagr put up as a 17 yr old in the czech league (im guessing scoring was higher in the league as awhole)?

When comparing points of other prospects to Froliks its always going to factor against Frolik right now. Id take his huge potential (his potential to me is similar to Kessel) other a guy like Little.
Jagr's stats from his rookie season in the Czech league in 39 games was 8 goals, 10 assist for 18 points. As for the league itself, the leader in points & goals was Vladimir Ruzicka with 84 pts and 46 goals (Jiri Lala was 2nd in pts with 66) in 45 games. Compared to the current leader in points Josef Beranek who has 13 goals, 38 assists for 51pts in 46 games. Yeah I'd say that scoring was higher as a whole (plus I'd say that now defense is important in that league as well...several of the young players getting drafted from there are very solid defensively).

Points now also can't determine their future impact in the scoring totals in the NHL. Its why I rarely use a player's junior/pre-draft stats as much to rank them. I'd agree with you on Frolik's potential being similar to Kessel (I'd almost say its slightly higher than Kessel's but he's less likely to reach that ceiling). That potential is why he should get drafted in the top 10...not what he's producing now as a 3rd liner in the Czech league.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think Okposo's the 4th best player in the draft, but I think people will be surprised how high he's selected. Players of his ilk (such as Chipchura and Ladd) always get picked higher than their skill level would indicate. Okposo has had an excellent year in the USHL, had a great Viking Cup, and is getting better and better as time goes on. Excellent player.
I don't know about that. Chipchura went lower than many had him projected. Last year we saw O'Marra fall when most seemed to have him as a sure bet for the top 10. It all depends on who is picking and the draft itself. Some teams are more inclined to go for a guy like Okposo, other teams are more inclined to go for the homerun first liner. I don't think there's any real pattern.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Seph said:
I don't know about that. Chipchura went lower than many had him projected. Last year we saw O'Marra fall when most seemed to have him as a sure bet for the top 10. It all depends on who is picking and the draft itself. Some teams are more inclined to go for a guy like Okposo, other teams are more inclined to go for the homerun first liner. I don't think there's any real pattern.

True, wasnt Chipchura the top ranked North American in his draft? I think Chipchura is a good prospect and will be very good at what he does but must have been one hell of a weak draft for him to being ranked 1.
There is usually a very talented (perhaps high risk and has questions about him) player that goes lower than expected. Brown, Kopitar, Schremp are all examples of this type of player.
On the flip side, there is usually a guy with less talent and upsides that goes higher than expected. Picard, Ladd are two examples. It doesnt always happen but theres a potential pattern there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Seph said:

My point is a player like Okposo who has grit, determination, and "intangibles" tends to get drafted a bit higher than their overall skill level would seem to indicate.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
Steadfast said:
Can anyone tell me what kind of defenceman Ty Wishart is?
I missed out on getting to see him come to Calgary to play the Hitmen, Id also like to know.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
1. Kessel
2. Johnson
3. Staal
4. Okposo
5. Backstrom
6. Toews
7. Mueller
8. Williams
9. Sheppard
10. Wishart

I notice you have Nigel Williams at 8. What's your take on him? At least you don't have Frolik in there!

X-SHARKIE

borro said:
I notice you have Nigel Williams at 8. What's your take on him? At least you don't have Frolik in there!

His ceilling is sky high and his raw skill level is incredible. Silky soft hands, I mean he can dangle. Heavy and accurate slap shot, still seems to shy to use it though. He's also a very smooth skater in all directions with a good top end speed and an explosive first stride, powerful long stride. He's pretty lanky but does have a competive side and is physical, but is still just blossuming.... defensively he's fine and played his man well.

I saw him play vs. Wisconsin this year and judging from that game, the upsides of Nigel and Eric Johnson aren't that big of a difference.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Color@do @v@l@nche said:
Very impressive stats at, so young age.

Bäckstrom doesn't just got impressive stats, he is also centering the first line and is playing in every situation. That's impressive. However, Team Sweden coach Bengt-Åke Gustafsson (who is a joke) said that he isn't considered for the national team this season. I hope he changes his mind and let him play in the exhibition games prior the worlds and gets a chance to travel to Latvia as a taxi squad player and practice with the team. To bad Gustafsson don't like either taxi squads nor young players :shakehead

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
1. Phil Kessel
2. Eric Johnson
3. Johnathan Toews
4. Michal Frolik
5. Niklas Backstrom
6. Jordan Staal
7. Peter Mueller
8. Bryan Little
9. Kyle Okposo