If Tavares doesn't resign with NYI, which team is his most likely destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Not Florida. We have an internal cap, and our top two centres are set at Barkov and Trocheck. Would love it to happen of course, but it is not realistic.

I think he stays with the Islanders. Could see the Blues being a really good fit.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Well if I am a soon to be 27 year old star in the league that hasn't sniffed being near a cup in now 9 seasons. A Weber and a Price would make me think about going there. Building a contender is not rocket science is it? Franchise goalie, franchise D man, franchise Center. If JT went there, the Canadiens would have all 3.

A 32 year old declining d-man and 30 year old often injured goalie sure sounds promising to sign a long-term deal. Not to mention the crazy pressure JT is going to have in Montreal being the guy. This would be a lateral move for him at best but I guess only time will tell

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd like to think Montreal. We have all this cap space and have a desperate need for a 1C. Tavares would be our franchise forward and have any two of Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher on his wings. Not a bad situation to step into, imo. He'd get a whole lot of endorsement stuff in Montreal, too. So I'd like to think Montreal. We have the immediate need and cap space for him.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
To all those voting Montreal are you doing so under the presumption that he hits UFA? Because I have a hard time seeing how they would beat trade offers from teams like the Blues or Jackets who have the same need.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd guess St. Louis.

Montreal, Columbus, and Carolina all need him but the Isles will accept a bit less to send him further away.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd like to think Montreal. We have all this cap space and have a desperate need for a 1C. Tavares would be our franchise forward and have any two of Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher on his wings. Not a bad situation to step into, imo. He'd get a whole lot of endorsement stuff in Montreal, too. So I'd like to think Montreal. We have the immediate need and cap space for him.

This is what I was thinking. With Plekanec off the books next season. It would make great sense. Also Montreal is the place most players seem to gravitate to in terms of winning history, attractiveness as a city, ambiance as the place to play if you are a player. I think it's NY or Montreal if I was a betting man. Montreal is a #1C away from being a serious contender. They have the #1 G and D. Adding JT would put them at the top of the east IMO with a coach like Julien at the helm.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A 32 year old declining d-man and 30 year old often injured goalie sure sounds promising to sign a long-term deal. Not to mention the crazy pressure JT is going to have in Montreal being the guy. This would be a lateral move for him at best but I guess only time will tell

Weber declined? Yet teams would kill to have him on their roster. Goalies also play longer not sure how 30 is washed up. But ok I understand, you are a pessimist half glass empty type of guy.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Weber declined? Yet teams would kill to have him on their roster. Goalies also play longer not sure how 30 is washed up. But ok I understand, you are a pessimist half glass empty type of guy.

Not really I just see things as it is. Weber is still great now but in 3-4 years i'm not so sure and Tavares will probably signe a contract in the 7-10 year range.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Weber still being very good, isn't the same thing as him playing as well as he has in the past. His best days are behind him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Would be interesting to watch Tarasenko and Tavares playing on the same line.

Considering Tarasenko has played rather well without an elite center, it would probably be better to split up the two to have two lines with an elite player. I would have them on the same PP line though, and obviously on the ice at the same time when they are down a goal with a few minutes to go.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's almost painful how perfectly things could potentially fit for us in St. Louis.

Money is freed up at the right point, one of the few teams with the clear need and opportunity and have the benefit of being in the other conference so that's probably more enticing for the Islanders.

It won't happen and he'll stay with the Islanders, but the idea of Tarasenko going from playing mainly with Jori Lehtera as his center to John Tavares......shiiiiiiit.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Considering Tarasenko has played rather well without an elite center, it would probably be better to split up the two to have two lines with an elite player. I would have them on the same PP line though, and obviously on the ice at the same time when they are down a goal with a few minutes to go.

It's a fair point--Tarasenko is a winger whose style of play drives offense, so it's questionable to what extent synergy with an elite center is necessary and would improve his game. That being said, when he has created wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity playing with Jori Lehtera for three years, the potential of at least trying him with an elite center is very tantalizing. Furthermore, St. Louis has a pretty balanced attack, with players like Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri, Schenn, and Berglund, so it's a team that could afford to stack one elite line.

Regardless, I'm kind of ashamed of myself for even delving into how JT would play out in St. Louis, considering that I overwhelmingly believe he will re-sign with the Islanders.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Nashville with Tavares are cup contenders for quite some time IMO. Seems like C depth is the one thing they are missing.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Not really I just see things as it is. Weber is still great now but in 3-4 years i'm not so sure and Tavares will probably sign a contract in the 7-10 year range.

The max term he can sign is 7 years
So Weber will still be a number 1 defenseman for most of his contract years

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I doubt it's Montreal unless Tavares goes UFA. The Isles will want a massive haul for him and Montreal has the least amount of expendable assets.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Weber still being very good, isn't the same thing as him playing as well as he has in the past. His best days are behind him.

I see no evidence from last season that Weber's best days are behind him. This may be more wishful thinking as opposed to reality. If Weber was 38 and didn't take care of himself, you may have a point. But he is just turned 32, and for D men this is still the prime years in his career.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Obviously.....we don't know exactly how it would shape, but Tarasenko/Tavares would be a lethal combo. Both have the skillset to set each other up and snipe. Unless they just didnt mesh, they absolutely should play together

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
As Leafs fan I want to see him go to the Blues. I feel like it'd be a great fit for the team and Tavares. I'll regret saying that if we ever have to face them in the cup finals

Reactions: TarasenkosForearm

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
IMO, there's no chance that he goes to Montreal or Toronto. He is well known as being a guy who likes to keep his life private and away from the media spotlight so I just can't see him going into the hornets nest of a fishbowl Canadian market even though he and Montreal are a dream fit on paper.

I'd say St. Louis is the best bet if he doesn't re-sign with the Isles but I see him as the type of guy who will remain loyal and see it through with the Islanders.

Weber and Price are the exact same, and they don't seem to have any problem

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
To all those voting Montreal are you doing so under the presumption that he hits UFA? Because I have a hard time seeing how they would beat trade offers from teams like the Blues or Jackets who have the same need.

I could see Columbus making a strong push because they are still in search of another center and Tavares would become the instant #1 and could push them to a Stanley Cup championship.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Yeah. UFA

Montreal is likely to "want" him the most. They need a #1 center more than any other team/for longer, or just about.

They also can pay a lot.

Montreal also has a lot of positives for a UFA (big hockey market - Carey Price).

So a good fit. UFA.

I'd be extremely surprised if Tavares does anything outside of Islanders or UFA. I can't see the isles trading him. I'd think it more likely to be like Stamkos. UFA or nothing. And in such a case, i'd think Montreal has decent chances.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Yeah. UFA

Montreal is likely to "want" him the most. They need a #1 center more than any other team/for longer, or just about.

They also can pay a lot.

Montreal also has a lot of positives for a UFA (big hockey market - Carey Price).

So a good fit. UFA.

I'd be extremely surprised if Tavares does anything outside of Islanders or UFA. I can't see the isles trading him. I'd think it more likely to be like Stamkos. UFA or nothing. And in such a case, i'd think Montreal has decent chances.

the only ongoing and nagging issue with the Isles is the arena problem, and I could see where Tavares could be frustrated by this. they are about to be booted from Brooklyn because the owner of that arena claims he isn't making money from them as a tenant or some such thing? the Isles owners really need to get off the toilet and build a new permanent arena for this team and quit torturing the fans and players with crappy barns to play in. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad