If Sports started, would you

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If they imposed space between seats and stuff, I'd go to a baseball game for sure. Hockey, probably not unless it was the finals and tickets were cheap.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In the past 12 weeks, we have all been changed by this.

Going to games? Right now most people are scared about taking the subway. Going to the movies? Not likely anytime soon.

There is another wild card in the mix, just because someday there will be a vaccine that doesn't mean people will take it. Are people going to need an immunity passport to even enter an arena?

The entire game day experience will be changed perhaps forever. Before a game will people have the appetite to pack bars like The Fours or Sully's? The Hub on Causeway was designed for massive crowds.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I know. I'm hoping the team does the right thing and allows for an out. I'd think they have to...the conditions have changed significantly enough that I believe it would likely merit a void of contract, but who knows.

Especially given the reduced capacity, the best move the team could make IMO is to offer people a mulligan for this year and roll their costs into next season if they choose to take a pass on the season. I'm not hopeful they will, but a girl can dream.

Fortunately, we are not in a financial situation where if we had to eat the money it would cripple us, but I'd definitely prefer to not spend $6k on tickets in this environment with the experience being so up in the air.
It is so much money to me. I spend way more than I should because I really enjoy it.

I don't see how I would feel safe if things haven't changed.

I hope they do the right thing.

Reactions: talkinaway

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Would you work any? Kind of the same, but slightly different question...

nope. Until SOMETHING changes, something big, i can’t see myself exchanging cash and touching all the surfaces in that building. There’s just no way to do it perfectly clean. It gets too busy, i will inevitably be sweaty and winded, I’ll wipe my face or grab my drink without washing my hands, and bang now I’ve ingested every germ from a thousand people

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
nope. Until SOMETHING changes, something big, i can’t see myself exchanging cash and touching all the surfaces in that building. There’s just no way to do it perfectly clean. It gets too busy, i will inevitably be sweaty and winded, I’ll wipe my face or grab my drink without washing my hands, and bang now I’ve ingested every germ from a thousand people

I'm with you man. I want zero to do with any crowds, handling things that have been handled by others, and exchanging money of any sort.

Reactions: TD Charlie

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In the past 12 weeks, we have all been changed by this.

Going to games? Right now most people are scared about taking the subway. Going to the movies? Not likely anytime soon.

There is another wild card in the mix, just because someday there will be a vaccine that doesn't mean people will take it. Are people going to need an immunity passport to even enter an arena?

The entire game day experience will be changed perhaps forever. Before a game will people have the appetite to pack bars like The Fours or Sully's? The Hub on Causeway was designed for massive crowds.

I think the movie studios are starting to realize that movie theaters are a dying breed and direct to home screening is the future. We ate the shit sandwich and "rented" Trolls 2 for my girls. It cost 20 bucks and you could watch it multiple times over 48 hours before it was gone. The kids loved it and watched it 3 times, and despite it being 20 bucks, it was far easier and ultimately cheaper than going to a theater because the ticket is only a small piece of the total cost.

I used to go to a ton of games for all the teams, but I stopped years ago because the time suckage alone stopped being worth it. Not even taking the money into consideration, you couldn't pay me any amount of $$$ to expose myself to countless people and risk being infected.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm with you man. I want zero to do with any crowds, handling things that have been handled by others, and exchanging money of any sort.

Honestly, I can't think of the last time I've used cash, even pre-COVID. I tip my barber in cash, but I really think that's about it. Easier to put it on a credit card, as long as you're not the time to spend more than you have (which is a very real problem). You get the advantage of seeing your budgeting, and 2% cash back on some cards. The disadvantage is the companies have to pay in the neighborhood of 2-2.5% in processing fees to the credit card company, which ultimately gets passed on to the consumer.

I'm glad the Garden at least has those contactless payments set up already. I usually use those, since I often already have my phone out, and juggling tacos, a beer, a phone, and a wallet is a challenge. Add to that the safety factor, and Apple is going to be in a sweet position because of those payments that are going to become VERY popular going forward.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Honestly, I can't think of the last time I've used cash, even pre-COVID. I tip my barber in cash, but I really think that's about it. Easier to put it on a credit card, as long as you're not the time to spend more than you have (which is a very real problem). You get the advantage of seeing your budgeting, and 2% cash back on some cards. The disadvantage is the companies have to pay in the neighborhood of 2-2.5% in processing fees to the credit card company, which ultimately gets passed on to the consumer.

I'm glad the Garden at least has those contactless payments set up already. I usually use those, since I often already have my phone out, and juggling tacos, a beer, a phone, and a wallet is a challenge. Add to that the safety factor, and Apple is going to be in a sweet position because of those payments that are going to become VERY popular going forward.

Yeah, I've done the same. Credit card, debit card (only if I have to), paypal, or venmo only. Never have cash on hand at all. Only time we use it is if the kids are buying lunches at school, and that's obviously not happening now.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Working at the registers of the Garden, personally I MUCH prefer cash, for a litany of reasons. One of the major concerns went away when they added the tip option on the pos system/card readers, but cash still has enough in the “pro” column.

covid might be the wildcard though. I would still like to see the user interface on BOTH ends of the transaction cleaned up quite a bit. I see both ends of the screen and there is room for improvement everywhere just in that thirty seconds.

Reactions: talkinaway

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
outdoor i would.
which is why i think the NHL should play the whole 20/21 season outdoors

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Sad, but true

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think the movie studios are starting to realize that movie theaters are a dying breed and direct to home screening is the future. We ate the shit sandwich and "rented" Trolls 2 for my girls. It cost 20 bucks and you could watch it multiple times over 48 hours before it was gone. The kids loved it and watched it 3 times, and despite it being 20 bucks, it was far easier and ultimately cheaper than going to a theater because the ticket is only a small piece of the total cost.

I used to go to a ton of games for all the teams, but I stopped years ago because the time suckage alone stopped being worth it. Not even taking the money into consideration, you couldn't pay me any amount of $$$ to expose myself to countless people and risk being infected.

I had the AMC Stubs Pass for 15/mo or so. 3 movies a week no questions asked.

It was a great deal and worth every penny. Rarely bought popcorn but got plenty for free when I'd buy the ticket for whomever I went with on the app. The 20 screen AMC in Danvers showed enough movies that weren't the big blockbusters but you had to pay attention some would be gone in a week. I used it 10 times a month. Would skip a month here and there.

I miss that thing as it was best in the summer with less sports. It was a lot better than Netflix or streaming services for movies. The value compared to current Bruins pricing was phenomenal.

Very sad they might go under. I'm not sure there is any entity that can fill THAT void. It was also great when travelling. Late flight or something kill a few hours at a theater.

All the big chains have made their theaters comfy with those huge recliners so you aren't close to other people anymore.

Problem with them reopening is the movies themselves. There aren't any because they've gone to streaming and they need some good ones to get people back.

Also just like watching sports in person is better its way better to watch a film on a big screen than your couch.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'll go back when I think it's safe based on what is in place for safety, the current situation and my own personal situation.

I do have the luck of being abd living with only one other low risk individual but going then visiting my parents would give me anxiety... Oof

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
outdoor i would.
which is why i think the NHL should play the whole 20/21 season outdoors

Sight lines are so bad. The reason this isn't a terrible idea is because it would probably drive ratings through the roof people love watching the outdoor games on TV.

If they did it at a football stadium they'd have to get rid of having it in the middle of the field and just let one grandstand be close to the rink and able to see the puck. Leave the other one empty or make it super cheap in hopes of selling hot dogs.

What do you do with Tampa? Things were normal there 2 weeks ago do you let them have home ice? Force them into the Trop?

Florida, Tampa, Dallas, Phoenix will have empty indoor baseball stadiums. I guess only Carolina and the CA teams don't have something indoor they could use. Maybe they could make ice there. Nashville should be just cold enough to play outside at Vandy Stadium or the Titans.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It would appear that movie theaters are going under. No films in the can as they say because producers stop casting. People afraid to go to a crowed theater and then the rush to get out. Two big theaters have gone under where I live and AMC the one that is left is talking bad stuff.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't care if they social distance people or not in an arena, coronavirus is aerosolized big time when people yell and talk loudly. Sports fans certainly do a lot of that when cheering for their team. I will be holding off going to any type of large events until there is a vaccine or bona fide treatment for COVID-19. I've been fine not going to big concerts and sporting events during this mess. I'll be fine waiting another year or so before venturing out to arenas and stadiums.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I have season tickets to an AHL team (Hartford Wolfpack) but I am not sure about going to any games this season. Granted, there are a lot of nights that the 15K arena only has about 4K there, but entry and exiting and a small concourse at the XL Center does give me a reason to think seriously about it...

Reactions: Maine Fan

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Realized today, maybe for first time, I'm coming at this from the perspective of living in the state with the fourth fewest infections in the country. So, for that reason, I will refrain from giving my two cents on anything covid related from here on out. at least I'll try :) stay safe y'all.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know where to think. I've left my house 3 times in 3 months, and the last 2 were a monthly trip to pick up a prescription at a drive through pharmacy

The only people I ever talk to are the family of 4 who live in the next house to me. Occasionally we will both be outside, and I will talk to the dad and mom a bit, and the 3 year old and 18 month old will entertain me, but always from 20+ feet away

That said I am a movie nut, and if there was a movie opening like Avengers Endgame, I'd be there in a crowded theater to see it. I love the Bruins, and If I could watch a Bruins playoff game from a really good seat, I'd go (although I'm too big to really fit in most Garden seats)

Honestly the masks are as much if not more of a restriction for me than fear of the virus, because honestly I feel like I can't really breathe in the masks. I have survived the 2 uber trips to the pharmacy, but it felt like a struggle. I can't even imagine what it would be like to walk around on a hot day in one, or to try and sit at a game for 3 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad