Value of: If Spezza Waives NTC/NMC for Montreal

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not to mention his chances at a cup in Dallas right now >> in Montreal

Exactly.

This is a player who openly signed a much shorter deal in Dallas than he could have gotten else where because he wanted to be there. Until we actually hear he is unhappy in his role, I think it's best to assume he still wants to be in Dallas.

That doesn't disqualify them from possibly deciding to trade him because they shed 7.5M in cap and aren't using him in a premier role, but if that happens I doubt he'd waive for MTL.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He would likely return a similar package to what Turris got....but Dallas isnt gonna want futures.

Does montreal really wanna lose Galchenyuk/Gallagher+ for SPezza?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He would likely return a similar package to what Turris got....but Dallas isnt gonna want futures.

Not sure if serious..

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
  • He's been playing wing and struggles at the position. He's averaging 13 mins a night. MTL would use him at C.
  • His contract is hefty but short (this year and next at 7.5 per), but MTL has the room to take it on and DAL is tight on space with guys to resign next year.
  • The cap hit can be offset if MTL sends a contract the other way. Can DAL also retain a little?
Is he past his prime? I think Montreal's wingers could nicely compliment Spezza. But the jury is out on his remaining output/potential. Bergevin may have to get desperate... if he wants a younger C he'll have to cough up more valuable assets, while Spezza could be a more affordable option.

I don't think Dallas is giving up on Spezza. He has a much smaller role on the team now, but is huge for their 2nd PP unit and without him it would be close to nothing. I think they just need to find him some wingers to go well with, but it's no doubt he has slowed down. Still has the talent to put the points up though he has just gotten off to a very slow start but improves every game.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Spezza doesn't produce at the same rate as Turris/Duchene, nor is he as young.
Dallas will want an effective player for the playoffs. I mean effective (not Plek)

....not that I see him waiving.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Spezza struggles because he plays with a bunch of bums. He has zero skill around him. If Hitch would put Janmark and Radulov on his wings then Spezza would be damn good. Instead he plays with 4th line grinders who can't control the puck like Roussel.

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Janmark-Spezza-Radulov

Hitch wants more scoring spread through the line up well that is what I would try on the top two lines. You can't just load up a top line and then have three 3rd lines and expect a bunch of balanced scoring.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Spez and Hitch are like oil and water. Two opposite personalities and philosophical approaches to the game of hockey.

I remember them at the world championships together, and Spez was the highest profile center there, he was clearly not a Hitch kinda player. They put on big smiles and said the right things, Spezzas usage and TOI indicated they weren't on the same page at all.

As a Sens fan who knows Spezza well (the good, the bad, and the ugly), he just doesn't play the style of game that will ever earn the trust of a coach like Hitch. A divorce is necessary, and it will get worse (fueding publically) before it gets better imo.

Having said all that, Spezza in the right situation could still be a useful player in the right situation. His cap hit greatly limits the options for him though, so the stars definitely have a situation brewing.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Of course he’d go to Montreal for a chance at missing the post season and paying high taxes.

He has no interest in being in Canada, but he’s garbage now anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad