Value of: If Spezza Waives NTC/NMC for Montreal

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
  • He's been playing wing and struggles at the position. He's averaging 13 mins a night. MTL would use him at C.
  • His contract is hefty but short (this year and next at 7.5 per), but MTL has the room to take it on and DAL is tight on space with guys to resign next year.
  • The cap hit can be offset if MTL sends a contract the other way. Can DAL also retain a little?
Is he past his prime? I think Montreal's wingers could nicely compliment Spezza. But the jury is out on his remaining output/potential. Bergevin may have to get desperate... if he wants a younger C he'll have to cough up more valuable assets, while Spezza could be a more affordable option.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He doesn't struggle at wing, he simply struggles. Period.

Sure teams could use him if Dallas want to get rid of him but they don't.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He'd probably fetch some decent futures. I see no chance he waives for 2 reasons though. Firstly, it doesn't seem he wants anything to do with being in a hockey market again, Montreal and Toronto are probably the two hardest on people except maybe fishbowl cities like Winnipeg and Edmonton. Secondly, the tax implications of going from Texas to Quebec are massive, costing him millions over the life of the contract.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Let's forget for a second that he probably wouldn't waive to go to Montreal. What do you have that you would offer that would make Dallas consider moving him? Futures are probably of little interest given the Stars' intention on competing now.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Definitely seems like a Bergevin target in the sense that he'd trade Drouin for him (coming from a Habs fan, please help).

Bergevin sees Drouin as the future of the team. Not happening even if Spezza waived his NMC for Montreal (which he won't).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Let's forget for a second that he probably wouldn't waive to go to Montreal. What do you have that you would offer that would make Dallas consider moving him? Futures are probably of little interest given the Stars' intention on competing now.

Petry or something I guess but that doesn't really do a whole lot for either team. No chance on this one

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Dirty. I saw the thread title on the sidebar and thought it was a real thing...

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
  • He's been playing wing and struggles at the position. He's averaging 13 mins a night. MTL would use him at C.
  • His contract is hefty but short (this year and next at 7.5 per), but MTL has the room to take it on and DAL is tight on space with guys to resign next year.
  • The cap hit can be offset if MTL sends a contract the other way. Can DAL also retain a little?
Is he past his prime? I think Montreal's wingers could nicely compliment Spezza. But the jury is out on his remaining output/potential. Bergevin may have to get desperate... if he wants a younger C he'll have to cough up more valuable assets, while Spezza could be a more affordable option.

His struggles are because hitch refuses to give him any skill to play with. I'm pretty sure he is like 2nd on the team in primary assists.

His shooting might be less accurate this year but his play making looks about the same. Spezzas biggest problem this year is his regular winger, elie and roussel suck at scoring and don't compliment him in the slightest

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Wouldn't Spezza waiving mean that it's the only team Dallas can unload his contract to? His value would be like a 2nd round pick.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see Montreal giving up much to acquire two years and $15 million of Jason Spezza. He's 34 and not very solid in his own zone. I can't imagine Claude Julien being a huge fan of his effort without the puck and that would saddle the Canadiens with Spezza and Plekanec who would eat up nearly $15 million in cap space and would combine to make one decent second line centre.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
There is no value in him waiving to go to Montreal. The value is if he actually gets traded to Montreal.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Spezza isn't really an answer for Montreal at center.

Based on how Drouin's looked so far at center (WIP defensively, pretty good offensively) and how Danault has looked at center his entire time in Montreal (like a low-end 2nd line C, high-end 3rd line C), Montreal is probably looking for a C that can essentially do what Plekanec does defensively, but with a lot more offense.

If Montreal wanted a C like Spezza (good offensively, iffy defensively), Galchenyuk would be at center.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't believe Spezza wants to return and play in Canada...pretty sure when he put in his no trade to teams..it included every Canadian team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Spezza didn't like the scrutiny he faced in Ottawa. I highly doubt he'd have a team like Montreal on his trade list. He's on a downswing in his career, I don't think he wants the burden of having to go to one of the most fanatic hockey media markets as their first line centre saviour.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Spezza didn't like the scrutiny he faced in Ottawa. I highly doubt he'd have a team like Montreal on his trade list. He's on a downswing in his career, I don't think he wants the burden of having to go to one of the most fanatic hockey media markets as their first line centre saviour.

Not to mention his chances at a cup in Dallas right now >> in Montreal

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad