News Article: If Sabres are tanking, who could blame them?

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
"Losing with honor" is just another term for teams who cannot afford to tank because they'd lose money (Arizona, Carolina) and teams who are afraid to push the reset button and do a complete rebuild (Toronto)

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I must say that our tank is getting a lot of people heated up. But everyone cares about this year because of McEichel. if we get last and top pick, the forums are going to be filled with haters.

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
I get it. Our...rebuild...is kind of unique in its scope. We fell further harder than anyone. We stripped it down to acquire so many first and second rounders. Hell...we just traded for a great player who can't play this year. I think it's been a masterpiece. From adding vet leadership that we all knew didn't help them on the scoresheet to trading their goalie just as he was starting what looked like another hot streak way ahead of the deadline. I think Murray has had his finger on the pulse of this thing and played it perfectly.

So people will hate that. They never hate when you are bad at something...but they loathe you when you are good at it.

But, to be fair, it goes beyond that.

Murray *****ing about changing the lottery in the summer (even though I think he's completely right) is a bad look. Pegula hosting both McDavid and Eichel this season on his rink. I know it's about building a destination here...but it can come off as being arrogant about it. I also think they don't like us trading for Kane like the bottom feeding ****** sabres who are they to act like they can be good anytime soon.

And then there is the reason I really think people hate us. Us. Losing is supposed to be the worst. It's supposed to be the price you pay...suffering to get the reward of a prospect who...who knows...but a better prospect. And some people are. There are fans who are miserable and think it will never work...because nothing ever does here. But especially on the Internet...mostly sabres fans have been pretty cool with the losing. The hardest part hasn't been watching the sabres fail...it's that the oilers are still within striking distance. People hate that so many of us are happy.

So I get it.

And I will for the next 2 months. And I'll let them have their laughs when someone else wins the lottery...as we all know is the most likely result. I'll smile through when they tell me we "tanked" for nothing because all we ever cared about was McDavid and we lost hahahaha. And I will when the new season starts and our young team and new pieces go through the growing pains and falters more than succeeds.

Because the only thing that matters...is that at some point in the no longer too distant future...it's going to work.

And boy are they gonna hate that.

One of the finest, best written, and articulated positions that I have ever read on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad