News Article: If Sabres are tanking, who could blame them?

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Not to mention that he seems to be basing that argument on Enroth's save percentage in the last two games he played before being traded. And he also cites "one tweet yesterday". I haven't finished reading the article, but the opening isn't too strong. :laugh:

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Do the ends justify the means?

If the Sabres are contenders 5 years from now, do people look down on them for how they got their or will they gush over how they are built?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Hard to say. People still talk about the penguins tanking for lemieux. Clearly I am not comparing McDavid to lemieux but just using it as an example

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
the comments are hilarious
"If the sabres fire Nolan they will officially be the laughing stock of the league"

lolwut

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Who could blame them? Isles and Tampa fans apparently.

Those two teams have never been at the bottom of the standings and acquired top talent as a result. Never.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
Hearing Tampa fans ***** and moan is beyond silly. Think about it, Bolts fans.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
They lost me early in the article when bona fide No. 1 goaltender and Enrother were mentioned in the same sentence. I googled bona fide just in case the definition of the word had changed but it appears it has not. Then later in the article they say "The Stars are getting an NHL-capable goalie who can help them in the five back-to-back situations they face the rest of the season and one who can even take over the No. 1 job if he outplays Kari Lehtonen." I don't think a goalie that is called a bona fide No 1 should also be referred to as "NHL-capable" in the same article.

I must be missing something in the article. It says the Enroth trade was pro-tank, the off-season signings were anti-tank and unless we bench Neuvy it's hard to argue that the team was intentionally tanking. With "who could blame them" in the title you would expect to see Eichel's name at some point and McDavid's name more than once. Maybe it's getting close to bed time and I'm a little cranky.

Last edited:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
This tank/not-tank is making hockey people all around the world lose their ******* minds. :laugh:

People are writing the craziest things to justify their opinions, right or wrong.

Bps21*

I get it. Our...rebuild...is kind of unique in its scope. We fell further harder than anyone. We stripped it down to acquire so many first and second rounders. Hell...we just traded for a great player who can't play this year. I think it's been a masterpiece. From adding vet leadership that we all knew didn't help them on the scoresheet to trading their goalie just as he was starting what looked like another hot streak way ahead of the deadline. I think Murray has had his finger on the pulse of this thing and played it perfectly.

So people will hate that. They never hate when you are bad at something...but they loathe you when you are good at it.

But, to be fair, it goes beyond that.

Murray *****ing about changing the lottery in the summer (even though I think he's completely right) is a bad look. Pegula hosting both McDavid and Eichel this season on his rink. I know it's about building a destination here...but it can come off as being arrogant about it. I also think they don't like us trading for Kane like the bottom feeding ****** sabres who are they to act like they can be good anytime soon.

And then there is the reason I really think people hate us. Us. Losing is supposed to be the worst. It's supposed to be the price you pay...suffering to get the reward of a prospect who...who knows...but a better prospect. And some people are. There are fans who are miserable and think it will never work...because nothing ever does here. But especially on the Internet...mostly sabres fans have been pretty cool with the losing. The hardest part hasn't been watching the sabres fail...it's that the oilers are still within striking distance. People hate that so many of us are happy.

So I get it.

And I will for the next 2 months. And I'll let them have their laughs when someone else wins the lottery...as we all know is the most likely result. I'll smile through when they tell me we "tanked" for nothing because all we ever cared about was McDavid and we lost hahahaha. And I will when the new season starts and our young team and new pieces go through the growing pains and falters more than succeeds.

Because the only thing that matters...is that at some point in the no longer too distant future...it's going to work.

And boy are they gonna hate that.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Zero ****s given about what the rest of the league and other teams' fans think about us tanking for McEichel. The end justifies the means...if there was zero chance our roster could make the playoffs then there's nothing lost by maximizing our draft value.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
The reason the "tank" has become a big problem this year is because McDavid and Eichel are the two prizes. As much as fans of other teams don't want to admit it, it is the truth.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
This tank/not-tank is making hockey people all around the world lose their ******* minds. :laugh:

People are writing the craziest things to justify their opinions, right or wrong.

The funniest part is that we have reached the part of the season where the teams and fans that have been slamming the Sabres all season long have had it slowly dawn on them that they aren't a Cup-contender and "oh sh** we should be tanking!"

Too late now fellas. Don't get mad at us because we were ahead of the game.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I get it. Our...rebuild...is kind of unique in its scope. We fell further harder than anyone. We stripped it down to acquire so many first and second rounders. Hell...we just traded for a great player who can't play this year. I think it's been a masterpiece. From adding vet leadership that we all knew didn't help them on the scoresheet to trading their goalie just as he was starting what looked like another hot streak way ahead of the deadline. I think Murray has had his finger on the pulse of this thing and played it perfectly.

So people will hate that. They never hate when you are bad at something...but they loathe you when you are good at it.

But, to be fair, it goes beyond that.

Murray *****ing about changing the lottery in the summer (even though I think he's completely right) is a bad look. Pegula hosting both McDavid and Eichel this season on his rink. I know it's about building a destination here...but it can come off as being arrogant about it. I also think they don't like us trading for Kane like the bottom feeding ****** sabres who are they to act like they can be good anytime soon.

And then there is the reason I really think people hate us. Us. Losing is supposed to be the worst. It's supposed to be the price you pay...suffering to get the reward of a prospect who...who knows...but a better prospect. And some people are. There are fans who are miserable and think it will never work...because nothing ever does here. But especially on the Internet...mostly sabres fans have been pretty cool with the losing. The hardest part hasn't been watching the sabres fail...it's that the oilers are still within striking distance. People hate that so many of us are happy.

So I get it.

And I will for the next 2 months. And I'll let them have their laughs when someone else wins the lottery...as we all know is the most likely result. I'll smile through when they tell me we "tanked" for nothing because all we ever cared about was McDavid and we lost hahahaha. And I will when the new season starts and our young team and new pieces go through the growing pains and falters more than succeeds.

Because the only thing that matters...is that at some point in the no longer too distant future...it's going to work.

And boy are they gonna hate that.

Zero ****s given about what the rest of the league and other teams' fans think about us tanking for McEichel. The end justifies the means...if there was zero chance our roster could make the playoffs then there's nothing lost by maximizing our draft value.

The reason the "tank" has become a big problem this year is because McDavid and Eichel are the two prizes. As much as fans of other teams don't want to admit it, it is the truth.

These 3 posts are dead on correct.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
No one would be talking about this if it were a normal draft.

Indeed. No one was crucifying Buffalo for finishing last as recently as last season.

Which tells me it's not about genuine moral outrage at supposed tanking, and all about jealousy from fans who want McEichel.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Who cares. It boils down to caring about what other fanbases think.

I don't think the team is throwing games, I think that Murray is trying to build a championship team for the future at the expense of a season that was lost before it started.

I don't care what other fans think or how honorable or not they perceive it to be. I want pragmatic and logical asset management from my GM.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What's worse, being last because of incompetent management and being stuck there or being last by design and with a plan to get out of it?

Clock

May 13, 2006
What's worse, being last because of incompetent management and being stuck there or being last by design and with a plan to get out of it?

All of the tank talk boils down to silly ways for fans to attack other fans about their teams' honor, rising out of jealousy or some hurt feelings or just the entertainment of the ensuing drama. I don't see any of the bottom feeders purposely throwing games, and I have yet to see Murray make a move that's solely designed to hurt the current state of the team without it being beneficial to the future of it.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Half the people bothered by the Enroth trade could not have told you who was a year ago. The reaction to his trade has been hilariously over the top.
Looking forward to the first game Buffalo sends out a Lindback/Hackett tandem.

Apparently, the CODE requires rebuilding teams to receive their below average goaltending by employing a young goalie, a washed up veteran and
an unknown Swede. Teams can then give half the starts to guys with sub .900 S% in an honorable way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad