If R.F.A. Offer Sheets Were Not Matched - What would have the compensation looked like?

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
It really demonstrates how overvalued picks are here. If you've got a proven NHL talent and your team is in a position to ensure those firsts won't be lottery than teams should strongly pursue offer sheet options.

There are only a few instances in there where I wouldn't rather have the player than the picks.

And of course that's why most are matched.
It really depends how well you take advantage of those picks. From 2014 to 2017 the Bruins drafted Pastrnak (25th), DeBrusk (14th), McAvoy (14th), Vaakanainen (18th). No picks higher than 14th and you have one of the best young wingers in the game, a 20 year old top-pairing defenseman, a young top-six goal scoring forward, plus a good D prospect (too early to tell how good Vaak will be). Could be even better, if they took another player in place of DeBrusk in 2015, but he is a good player himself. How many players in the league would be worth trading this package for? Maybe 1, if even that.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Well.. put it this way, would your suggestion increase or decrease chances/threat of offer sheets?
i don't think it would change things much offer wise, but it would give the affected team some compensation for their trouble. I'm sure most GM's go into the off season with a plan, and an idea of available finances to make his team better. An OS throws a wrench in that planning, and causes him to spend more time (and stress) reevaluating his possible courses of action. Time is money, after all. A third/fourth round pick is not too much to ask for the inconvenience.
One reason I thought of it was all the comments, once the Aho deal was matched, of people saying "oh well, it did cost us anything to try", after all the time and energy it cost the Canes GM/Owner. Not really fair. They didn't forfeit Aho, but it did waste their time and energy, and had to accept a deal they didn't get to structure themselves. JMO

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Backes for the Canucks 2nd : Anton Rodin
Bernier for the Blues 2nd : Brent Ponich
Hjalmarsson for : Philips, Sefton

Moral of the Story : Don't bother offer sheeting anyone - it ONLY inflates the market. It is almost Always better to keep the SURE thing rather than a couple of lottery tickets.

This exercise also reinforces the idea : Draft picks can be greatly over rated here.

Offer sheets should be used primarily to screw with the other team cap...
unless you are Bergeven looking for PR... then sign em to a capfriendly deal..
Lesson here is always offersheet. But also always match

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think it would wipe OS's out completely, and if a team can't afford to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for intruding on another teams off season planning, then they're probably not in a position to make the offer. The offended team should get some small competition for their inconvenience imho. I know many won't agree, and that's ok.
The team has already had a full year (and at the very least a half of one) to extend their pending RFA. If they fail to prevent it going to free agency then it must be dealt as a free agency matter and competing offers from other teams need to be tolerated.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Nhl teams know the worth of their draft picks and players it's why u see so few offersheets not get matched

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad