If R.F.A. Offer Sheets Were Not Matched - What would have the compensation looked like?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This is just a game.
This is a flawed game.
It's the offseason, roll with it.

Instant Flaws to this game - If the teams received the player they attempted to sign, they would of likely drafted lower. Team receiving the pick likely would not of picked the players picked with those picks.

On the radio, they mentioned when the Oilers offered Vanek 7 x $7, the compensation would of been the Oilers next 4 1st rounders...
(Even tho if the Oilers got Vanek, they would of certainly drafted in different positions - but let's ignore that).

Buffalo would of received: Myers* (ironically), Paajarvi, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins.
*Ana received the Oil 2008 1st(12th) as a result of the Penner comp. They traded it to LA, who traded it to Buf.

Penner compensation (original picks - not what Burke did with them): Tyler Myers, J. Schultz, Krill Petrov

Am I safe to assume Weber would of gave the Preds 4 first rounders from Philly?
If so:
To Nashville: Sanhiem Stanley, Morin, Provorov, Stanley Rubtsov

Anyone know some of the others?

Ryan KeslerSept 12, 2006 [4]1 year, $1.9 millionVancouver CanucksPhiladelphia FlyersTJ Brennan
Thomas VanekJuly 6, 2007 [23]7 years, $50 millionBuffalo SabresEdmonton OilersMyers, Paajarvi, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins-
Dustin PennerJuly 26, 20075 years, $21.5 millionAnaheim DucksEdmonton Oilers
David BackesJuly 1, 20083 years, $7.5 millionSt. Louis BluesVancouver CanucksAnton Rodin-
Steve BernierJuly 8, 20081 year, $2.5 millionVancouver CanucksSt. Louis BluesBrent Ponich-
Niklas HjalmarssonJuly 9, 20104 years, $14 millionChicago BlackhawksSan Jose SharksZach Philips, Justin Sefton-
Shea WeberJuly 18, 2012[24]14 years, $110 millionNashville PredatorsPhiladelphia FlyersSanhiem Stanley, Morin, Provorov, Stanley
Ryan O'ReillyFebruary 28, 2013[26]2 years, $10 millionColorado AvalancheCalgary FlamesMonahan, Kanzig-
Sebastian AhoJuly 1, 2019[27]5 years, $42 millionCarolina HurricanesMontreal CanadiensTBD[28]-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Flyers 2016 first round pick was traded back to select Rubtsov, Logan Stanley was taken in the original spot, which means the compensation for signing Weber would be 4 first round picks that were all defencemen.

Reactions: DL44

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some fun ones from the pre-2005 CBA. The opportunity cost would have been:

Carolina/Fedorov: 1998-11 (RW Jeff Heerema), 1999-16 (RD David Tanabe), 2000-14 (C Vaclav Nedorost), 2001-15 (LD Igor Kniazev), 2002-25 (G Cam Ward)

NYR/Sakic: 1998-7 (C Manny Malhotra), 1999-11 (LW Oleg Saprykin), 2000-8 (RW Nikita Alexeev), 2001-10 (G Dan Blackburn), 2002-10 (LW Eric Nystrom)

Chicago/Tkachuk: 1996-21 (LW Marco Sturm), 1997-13 (LW Dan Cleary), 1998-10 (C Nik Antropov), 1999-4 (RW Pavel Brendl), 2000-10 (C Mikhail Yakubov)

At least for me, these were all in that 1996-2002 range of drafts that were average/below average, so the teams probably made the right choice to match and retain the player. Also an amusing side story that I didn't know until a few years ago was that Colorado was able to match the frontloaded Sakic offer thanks in part to the success of the movie Air Force One. Somebody in the Avs ownership group had a producing stake in the movie, so when that became a hit, they had an influx of cash to pay Sakic 17 million in that the first twelve months.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Going back to the original post:

Backes ~ Vancouver's 2009 2nd round pick (53rd - LW Anton Rodin)
Bernier ~ St. Louis' 2009 2nd round pick (48th - LD Brett Ponich)
Hjalmarsson ~ San Jose's 2011 1st round pick (28th - C Zack Phillips), San Jose's 2011 3rd round pick (88th - RD Justin Sefton)

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Backes for the Canucks 2nd : Anton Rodin
Bernier for the Blues 2nd : Brent Ponich
Hjalmarsson for : Philips, Sefton

Moral of the Story : Don't bother offer sheeting anyone - it ONLY inflates the market. It is almost Always better to keep the SURE thing rather than a couple of lottery tickets.

This exercise also reinforces the idea : Draft picks can be greatly over rated here.

Offer sheets should be used primarily to screw with the other team cap...
unless you are Bergeven looking for PR... then sign em to a capfriendly deal..

Reactions: Flukeshot

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Some fun ones from the pre-2005 CBA. The opportunity cost would have been:

Carolina/Fedorov: 1998-11 (RW Jeff Heerema), 1999-16 (RD David Tanabe), 2000-14 (C Vaclav Nedorost), 2001-15 (LD Igor Kniazev), 2002-25 (G Cam Ward)

NYR/Sakic: 1998-7 (C Manny Malhotra), 1999-11 (LW Oleg Saprykin), 2000-8 (RW Nikita Alexeev), 2001-10 (G Dan Blackburn), 2002-10 (LW Eric Nystrom)

Chicago/Tkachuk: 1996-21 (LW Marco Sturm), 1997-13 (LW Dan Cleary), 1998-10 (C Nik Antropov), 1999-4 (RW Pavel Brendl), 2000-10 (C Mikhail Yakubov)

At least for me, these were all in that 1996-2002 range of drafts that were average/below average, so the teams probably made the right choice to match and retain the player. Also an amusing side story that I didn't know until a few years ago was that Colorado was able to match the frontloaded Sakic offer thanks in part to the success of the movie Air Force One. Somebody in the Avs ownership group had a producing stake in the movie, so when that became a hit, they had an influx of cash to pay Sakic 17 million in that the first twelve months.

I have no recollection of a Tkachuk offer sheet for some reason.

I also remember the leafs made an offer sheet for ohlund in the 90's. It would be interesting to see what those picks ended up being, even though that was on a much lower pay scale.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I think because the OS hinders the decision making and off season progression of the targeted team (due to the financial implications involved and possible loss an important member of the team), that the team pursuing a targeted player should forfeit a draft pick also in the case the offer is matched by his team. Similar to a penalty on a lost coach's challenge. The pick lost should be the median pick that coincides with the compensation for the player involved. Therefore, tending an OS would not be totally free for the extending team, and would be a serious endeavor and not taken lightly.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I have no recollection of a Tkachuk offer sheet for some reason.

I also remember the leafs made an offer sheet for ohlund in the 90's. It would be interesting to see what those picks ended up being, even though that was on a much lower pay scale.

Here's an old link on Tkachuk: HAWKS' PLAN JETTISONED; TKACHUK OFFER MATCHED

Chicago was aiming to have a "Beanpot/Beantown" line with Tkachuk-Roenick-Amonte. Ironically Tkachuk-Roenick would end up in Phoenix together.

It was slightly before my time, but the prospect offer sheets on Selanne/Ohlund apparently would not have netted compensation: https://www.apnews.com/ed9ce477cd8447b204f541613b5b0836

TORONTO (AP) _ Swedish defenseman Mattias Ohlund, an unsigned 1994 first-round draft pick of the Vancouver Canucks, signed an offer sheet with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Friday.

Ohlund signed a five-year, $10 million offer sheet with Toronto, according to his agent, Michael Barnett, which includes a $7.5 million signing bonus.

If Vancouver wants to retain Ohlund, it will have to match Toronto’s offer. Ohlund is a Group 4 free agent, which means the Canucks have the right to match any offer, but won’t receive compensation if they don’t. It also means the Canucks can’t trade Ohlund for a year if they do match the offer.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And just to complete the OP's chart:

Penner = Edmonton's 2008 1st (12th - RD Tyler Myers), Edmonton's 2008 2nd (43rd - RD Justin Schultz), Edmonton's 2008 3rd (73rd - LW Kirill Petrov)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Here's an old link on Tkachuk: HAWKS' PLAN JETTISONED; TKACHUK OFFER MATCHED

Chicago was aiming to have a "Beanpot/Beantown" line with Tkachuk-Roenick-Amonte. Ironically Tkachuk-Roenick would end up in Phoenix together.

It was slightly before my time, but the prospect offer sheets on Selanne/Ohlund apparently would not have netted compensation: https://www.apnews.com/ed9ce477cd8447b204f541613b5b0836

Ahh, a "group 4" free agent. It's been a long time since I heard that terminology, but it rings a bell now that you mention it.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think because the OS hinders the decision making and off season progression of the targeted team (due to the financial implications involved and possible loss an important member of the team), that the team pursuing a targeted player should forfeit a draft pick also in the case the offer is matched by his team. Similar to a penalty on a lost coach's challenge. The pick lost should be the median pick that coincides with the compensation for the player involved. Therefore, tending an OS would not be totally free for the extending team, and would be a serious endeavor and not taken lightly.
That would virtually wipe em out.
Aho was the the first one 6 yrs... you wouldn’t see another again.

Nor would the NHLPA go for it... the mere threat and the occasional offer sheet helps increase player leverage in negotiations... this would hinder that.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
It really demonstrates how overvalued picks are here. If you've got a proven NHL talent and your team is in a position to ensure those firsts won't be lottery than teams should strongly pursue offer sheet options.

There are only a few instances in there where I wouldn't rather have the player than the picks.

And of course that's why most are matched.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It really demonstrates how overvalued picks are here. If you've got a proven NHL talent and your team is in a position to ensure those firsts won't be lottery than teams should strongly pursue offer sheet options.

There are only a few instances in there where I wouldn't rather have the player than the picks.

And of course that's why most are matched.

I think the Sabres, in retrospect, would gladly take Hall and RNH rather than paying Vanek $50 million, and Provorov, Sanheim, and even Morin are a pretty good consolation prize for not giving Shea Weber a 35 year contract. Sure, they turned him into Subban, but then they just turned Subban into some 2nds and assorted goods, so...meh.

That said, Vanek was a very good player for Buffalo, and I don't think anyone in 2007 could have predicted the prolonged epoch of suck that the Oilers were about to embark on.

Not sure who Sanheim Stanley is though.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
That would virtually wipe em out.
Aho was the the first one 6 yrs... you wouldn’t see another again.

Nor would the NHLPA go for it... the mere threat and the occasional offer sheet helps increase player leverage in negotiations... this would hinder that.
I don't think it would wipe OS's out completely, and if a team can't afford to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for intruding on another teams off season planning, then they're probably not in a position to make the offer. The offended team should get some small competition for their inconvenience imho. I know many won't agree, and that's ok.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think it would wipe OS's out completely, and if a team can't afford to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for intruding on another teams off season planning, then they're probably not in a position to make the offer. The offended team should get some small competition for their inconvenience imho. I know many won't agree, and that's ok.

Well.. put it this way, would your suggestion increase or decrease chances/threat of offer sheets?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for that. Imagine if Colorado had gotten another 1st rounder in 1998. They had 4 already. I wonder if a 5th would have been enough to trade up to Tampa for #1 and Lecavalier. There would have been a good replacement for Sakic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad