If possible: Trouba for Karlsson

If possible ( Sens accept :) ) As a Jet fan 》 2 years of Trouba for 1 year of Karlsson

• Yes

• No

• I don't know what to do...

Results are only viewable after voting.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Bottom line for me is - I don't believe the math supports rentals. I don't believe it is even close. The rental being Karlsson doesn't change that. He is a huge rental and Trouba is a huge price.

I don't believe you should ever stop building for the future. You do that all the time you are contending and you will contend for a lot longer time.
I agree. I feel like we should be minor sellers at the deadline. Potentially every year. Put yourself in a position where you've got young guys proving it in the AHL, move the guys that they're replacing to an Eastern conference team and pick 2 first rounders every year. Thus ensuring you've got guys on ELC ready to join the team every year.
If we're a cap team going forward, this is probably the only method we can use to move salary without paying to do so.

For example, if Niku were beating down the door, Kulikov could get a decent price from a team with injuries on D. Or maybe Perreault goes to make room for Apples or Vesalainen. Either of those guys should be worth a late 1st at the deadline, especially to a team keeping up with the Joneses.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This deal would never happen--"I cannot see it.' It's just not the Jet's style to take on these weighted blue chip player contracts -like Karlsson.

The Jet's are going to have to bite down on a "huge Laine contract"--they don't need another headache like Karlsson to deal with-"forget it." The Jet's still have to sign Wheeler after that--then Kyle Connor. They don't need more Cap weight.

Trouba is not a problem--trade him for someone of less value ( but solid)--or trade him for some good first rounders. Today's NHL is as much about "financial situations" as it is about "players'-- you have to blend the 2 together to make it all work.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree. I feel like we should be minor sellers at the deadline. Potentially every year. Put yourself in a position where you've got young guys proving it in the AHL, move the guys that they're replacing to an Eastern conference team and pick 2 first rounders every year. Thus ensuring you've got guys on ELC ready to join the team every year.
If we're a cap team going forward, this is probably the only method we can use to move salary without paying to do so.

For example, if Niku were beating down the door, Kulikov could get a decent price from a team with injuries on D. Or maybe Perreault goes to make room for Apples or Vesalainen. Either of those guys should be worth a late 1st at the deadline, especially to a team keeping up with the Joneses.

I agree that should be a part of the strategy, not necessarily every year but certainly when the situation is favourable.

I think you might be a little optimistic on the returns though. Players with term aren't usually popular at the TD.

We might also be minor buyers but with our stronger roster the cheap moves Chevy made in '15 may not work now.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I agree that should be a part of the strategy, not necessarily every year but certainly when the situation is favourable.

I think you might be a little optimistic on the returns though. Players with term aren't usually popular at the TD.

We might also be minor buyers but with our stronger roster the cheap moves Chevy made in '15 may not work now.
Re: optimism, yeah I forgot Kuli had a 3 year contract, but isn't this Pro's last year?

I still think there are Stempniaks out there to pick up on the cheap, but then again there are also Martin Hanzals.

The general spirit of my post though, is when we have a prospect who has become better than the roster player we're getting calls on, let's get the long term value knowing that not only are we improving the roster right now, we're increasing our chances of having another prospect who replaces a vet down the line, increasing our capacity to combine picks and trade up and increasing the trade chips we have to acquire star players when opportunities arise to do so.

In addition to this, given that my team looks great at the moment, I would strongly consider taking higher picks further into the future to extract greater value. So I can't get a 2019 1st for Perreault, can I get a 2020? Seems like a lot of GM's place a lower value on picks further on into the future. I think this is exploitable and that there's a success arc that could be modeled and targeted to try and find teams looking to win now that will pay us with draft picks that won't come until that team sucks.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Pretty close.

Why Ottawa might do this.
The owner and Karlsson definitely don't want each other anymore.
Karlsson will walk just like Tavares, and they will get nothing for him.
Trouba most likely he wont resign after year 2 but they will be in a position to trade him in the draft to get a good return. Ofcourse thst is a sign and trade deal.

Jets do this?
The best chance to win the cup in the Jets franchise 1.0 and 2.0 history. That alone is something will be priceless at the end of the road.
Karlsson should be motivated and when he is motivated he can take a team like Ottawa in the Conference final.

But ofcourse a lot of things are in play so a chance of this happening is remote.
But this is summer (there).
So nice to play around and think of the possibilities.

Specially the Jets team winning the Stanley Cup this coming season.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This deal would never happen--"I cannot see it.' It's just not the Jet's style to take on these weighted blue chip player contracts -like Karlsson.

The Jet's are going to have to bite down on a "huge Laine contract"--they don't need another headache like Karlsson to deal with-"forget it." The Jet's still have to sign Wheeler after that--then Kyle Connor. They don't need more Cap weight.

Trouba is not a problem--trade him for someone of less value ( but solid)--or trade him for some good first rounders. Today's NHL is as much about "financial situations" as it is about "players'-- you have to blend the 2 together to make it all work.

It is about financial situation but it also is about going after it if your window is there.
Why Trade Trouba for a lesser piece?
You down grade your team.

You look into the future but you must look at your present first.
Penguins and Hawks GM had the balls to pull the trigger. Yes Hawks on the downward trend now. But that is the circle of sports you wont be on top always. I take the hawks multiple cup wins anytime because they are able to make hard decisions.

:)
Anyways we will lose Trouba in 2 years , most likely next year.

I trade him for Karlsson now and try to sign Karlsson again 1 year next year ;)
Back to back Stanley Cup champ :)
Then reload with
Schiefele Laine Morrissey Hellybuyck
As the core piece
Together with
Niku Samberg Vesalainen Connor Ehlers Roslovic and Lowry.
It will probably take a couple of years again win great f.a. signing to go back on top again.

Then i wake up ;)

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Or you could look at it as Wheeler's replacement for the next 7 years.
Nothing against Stone. If the salary cap wasn't an issue he'd be a great addition. The same goes for Blake, but as things stand.... I'd rather see him traded than extended.

There's no real need for a wing replacement with Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Vesalainen, Roslovic*, etc. already in-house. I believe the Jets would be better served addressing their weakness at C & D.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Why on earth would the Sens do this? Trouba's at least a big a flight risk forthem as Karlsson. Plus, I'm pretty sure they could get a better offer from just about anyone.

They'd be asking for more like Trouba + Little + Vesalainen.

When has a pending UFA garnered such a high return?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why on earth would the Sens do this? Trouba's at least a big a flight risk forthem as Karlsson. Plus, I'm pretty sure they could get a better offer from just about anyone.

They'd be asking for more like Trouba + Little + Vesalainen.

Sens would get 2 years of Trouba for ~11.5 mil instead of 1 year of EK for 6.5 mil. Even if they keep Trouba for only 1 year they save a million dollars. They then have the option of moving Trouba at the draft in '19 or at the TD in either year.

That $$$ is important to Melnyk. Trouba is no Karlsson but at least they can show their fans some return. Of course, they can still move EK at the next TD too. He will probably bring a lot. But getting Trouba gives them more options just because of the additional year.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Sens would get 2 years of Trouba for ~11.5 mil instead of 1 year of EK for 6.5 mil. Even if they keep Trouba for only 1 year they save a million dollars. They then have the option of moving Trouba at the draft in '19 or at the TD in either year.

That $$$ is important to Melnyk. Trouba is no Karlsson but at least they can show their fans some return. Of course, they can still move EK at the next TD too. He will probably bring a lot. But getting Trouba gives them more options just because of the additional year.

As good an explanation as any as to why the Jets shouldn't do this. We need to get back long term assets for Trouba, not an even shorter rental. This is not the time to be pulling out all the stops and selling the farm for one last kick at the cat in the misguided belief this season is our last, best hope. I still think our real window will open up in a couple of years and we should be planning accordingly.

Reactions: Huffer

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
My thinking is that all the top teams have an almost identical chance of winning the cup, let’s say 1/10. Doing moves affects your chances maybe a few percentage points upwards but it’s mostly noise. The most important thing is the length of the window. Would you rather have 8 years at 1/10 odds, or 4 years at 1/8 odds? The first one gives you an 80% “probability” of winning it, the other a 50%. So key is getting as many shots at the cup as possible. However, acquiring Stastny was a brilliant move because the team lacked playoff experience, which they very wisely bought. I say no to this, Trouba is too valuable to let walk for nothing so play him until a good deal materializes. I don’t believe that GMs are waiting him out, he’ll command a return with a decent replacement. Which is more important to us than bolstering our chances for one season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer and mazmin

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
^
I like that answer.

Trouba for Karlsson won't move the needle nearly as much as it would need to move.

McDavid can't get his team to the playoffs. Ergo we don't trade two years of Trouba of one year of Karlsson.

Reactions: Tommigun

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
One year isn't long enough to go "all in" for a Cup. The year can come and go quickly and could easily leave the Jets with no Cup and no return for Trouba.

I'm completely okay with trading Trouba to a team he will re-sign with (like Tampa or Panthers) for prospects and picks. Some of those futures can be traded during the '18-19 season for a RHD if the Jets need one. I'm of the unpopular opinion that the Jets don't need a Trouba replacement to start the season.

Reactions: Tommigun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad