If possible: Trouba for Karlsson

If possible ( Sens accept :) ) As a Jet fan 》 2 years of Trouba for 1 year of Karlsson

• Yes

• No

• I don't know what to do...

Results are only viewable after voting.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I suppose it is only 1 million more, but we would probably have to lose one more guy to make it work.
It would be pretty nice, maybe even reminiscent of Housley-Selanne.
The negative side of this would be that the ability for the Jets to challenge for the cup beyond this year. That will be hampered significantly by the fact that Karlsson is highly unlikely to stay even if he loves the city. The Jets will not have any way to pay the 11+ that he will demand after this year.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Why on earth would the Sens do this? Trouba's at least a big a flight risk forthem as Karlsson. Plus, I'm pretty sure they could get a better offer from just about anyone.

They'd be asking for more like Trouba + Little + Vesalainen.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Why on earth would the Sens do this? Trouba's at least a big a flight risk forthem as Karlsson. Plus, I'm pretty sure they could get a better offer from just about anyone.

They'd be asking for more like Trouba + Little + Vesalainen.

The Sens can't afford to trade out Karlsson for futures this year. They can't tank, because they don't have their first round pick thanks to the Duchene deal.

Sens trade for Trouba, play him this year to maximize points, then move for futures at the end of this season. If they do that with Karlsson he walks for nothing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can see why someone would hate it, that's for sure.

It's a huge risk.

I'm not sure I would like it even if it came with an iron clad guarantee of a cup - which, of course it doesn't.

What other assets would you sell for this 'all-in' one shot at the cup? No point in going half-way if you are, in fact all-in.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm not sure I would like it even if it came with an iron clad guarantee of a cup - which, of course it doesn't.

What other assets would you sell for this 'all-in' one shot at the cup? No point in going half-way if you are, in fact all-in.

1st round pick and any non-Defense prospect goes out at the deadline for a centre.

That's probably going to happen anyway.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1st round pick and any non-Defense prospect goes out at the deadline for a centre.

That's another whole story. But why stop there? You are giving up all of Trouba's considerable value - for the next however many years - for 1 year of an outstanding player. You better make damn sure you don't come up short.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That's another whole story. But why stop there? You are giving up all of Trouba's considerable value - for the next however many years - for 1 year of an outstanding player. You better make damn sure you don't come up short.

I think we have the best F group top to bottom in the league.

Karlsson gives us an amazing D group. Not much room for improvement there.

Backup Goalie? I can see making a move there.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
The Sens can't afford to trade out Karlsson for futures this year. They can't tank, because they don't have their first round pick thanks to the Duchene deal.

Sens trade for Trouba, play him this year to maximize points, then move for futures at the end of this season. If they do that with Karlsson he walks for nothing.
I'm not saying they're after futures only - there are better deals than this that give them a great future piece AND a player who can play right now (they need a #2C and an upgrade in goal, too).

A 1-for-1 trade is a serious downgrade for Ottawa next year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we have the best F group top to bottom in the league.

Karlsson gives us an amazing D group. Not much room for improvement there.

Backup Goalie? I can see making a move there.

We gave up a couple of pretty good assets for a 2C last year - and it wasn't enough. Better try at least as hard there again.

2 & 3 LHD could use an upgrade too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Bottom line for me is - I don't believe the math supports rentals. I don't believe it is even close. The rental being Karlsson doesn't change that. He is a huge rental and Trouba is a huge price.

I don't believe you should ever stop building for the future. You do that all the time you are contending and you will contend for a lot longer time.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Tough question ... Setting aside all the arguments of why Ottawa would not do this, assuming they would, one year of Karlsson for Trouba? Hmmmm ... Karlsson is a fantastic player who could really take our team to the next level, however, a cup is never guaranteed even with an elite defenseman of his caliber added to the team. I think it would be better to trade Trouba for futures/more long term return. So I'd say no, but somewhat reluctantly.

EDIT: realized I actually voted yes a few days ago LOL. Shows how much on the fence I am. Maybe I should change my vote to don't know what to do ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

meccles

Oct 10, 2013
Trade trouba for karlsson then sign karlsson and let wheels walk next season. Both Karlsson and vesalianen (sp) could replace wheeler offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad