Bleacher Report posted their most likely to be bought out:

Scott Gomez
Mike Cammalleri
Shawn Horcoff
Jay Bouwmeester
Ville Leino
Keith Ballard
Tuomo Ruutu
Alex Ovechkin (this is why I take nothing BR says seriously)
Roberto Luongo
Rick DiPietro

So much can change before the offseason, but the idea Ovechkin would be bought out is a damn joke. They could still trade him if they wished, which I'm fairly certain they do not wish to do.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So much can change before the offseason, but the idea Ovechkin would be bought out is a damn joke. They could still trade him if they wished, which I'm fairly certain they do not wish to do.

Then again, Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD
"Mega contracts like Ovechkin, DiPietro, Kovalchuk, et al now look like '86 Cadillacs in the used Euro car lot. Each 5 mpg."

Depends if Ovechkins play drops off even more or picks up.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
LOL yeah right.

Buying out Ovechkin...

I'm sure there's a rule against buying a guy out just to turn around and re-sign him for less. Therefore, buying out Ovechkin ends his time in Washington with nothing coming back in return but dead cap space!

There is no way anyone burns cap space AND throws away a very good player with significant value around the league with nothing in return just to save some money.

Same goes for Cammalleri.

Absolutely a terrible idea.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Then again, Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD
"Mega contracts like Ovechkin, DiPietro, Kovalchuk, et al now look like '86 Cadillacs in the used Euro car lot. Each 5 mpg."

Depends if Ovechkins play drops off even more or picks up.

I'm expecting a resurgence with Oates as his new coach.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
LOL yeah right.

Buying out Ovechkin...

I'm sure there's a rule against buying a guy out just to turn around and re-sign him for less. Therefore, buying out Ovechkin ends his time in Washington with nothing coming back in return but dead cap space!

There is no way anyone burns cap space AND throws away a very good player with significant value around the league with nothing in return just to save some money.

What dead cap space?

These would be compliance buyouts so they won't count against the cap.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
LOL yeah right.

Buying out Ovechkin...

the amnesty buyout doesn't create dead cap space

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
will you be able to buy out a player, and re-sign them?

Is it like the NBA?
In the NBA the players enter into a bidding pool of teams under the salary cap. Highest bidder is awarded the player.

Or is it like the NHL's 2005 CBA? The CBA called for a six-day window where teams were permitted to terminate and buy out player contracts, otherwise known as compliance buyouts.
Under the rules detailed in Article 50 of the CBA:
Players could be bought out for two-thirds of their remaining salary
Money owed to the player had to be paid out over the remaining length of the terminated contract
Players could not re-sign with the original team until after the 2005-06 season
Compliance buyouts did not count against the team’s salary cap, nor did they count against the total player compensation for that year (Mike Colligan, THW)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
A gift from above has given us a chance to get the Leino contract off of the planet after this year. Thank you!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If asked, look for Regier to be silent about compliance buyouts or state they won't plan to buy anyone out. Don't want any players giving up before this summer.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I expect Buffalo to use one on Leino this summer, be active in the UFA pool, and save one for next summer as well. Depending on how the roster is shaking out, he could choose to burn another one or even gain an extra draft pick/player by aquiring a bad contract and buying it out.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
For instance, if Buffalo bought out Ehrhoff after this year, paying him the remainder of what he's owed ($22m) for the tenure of his current deal, and they then re-signed him for 5yrs/$5m ($1m cap). Teams could then significantly reduce the overall cap hit given to their long-term contracts, and the players get a bit more money over the life of their deal in exchange for the organization removing the noose around its neck that will be those long-term deals.

Oh man, I can just see Bettman's face the first time one team did this and then several followed suit. :laugh:

Why would Ehrhoff as a free agent, resign for 5 yrs/ 5 million after being bought out? Certainly there are teams that would offer him way more money than that. The players didn't just go through a lockout for ****zngiggles, they're in it for the money.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I still want to see what Leino can do this season.

Exactly. 1/6th of his contract has been played. By the end of this shortened season, 1/3rd. After seeing what he can or can't do, we'll have a good handle on what to do with him instead of knee jerk shortsighted reactions.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why would Ehrhoff as a free agent, resign for 5 yrs/ 5 million after being bought out? Certainly there are teams that would offer him way more money than that. The players didn't just go through a lockout for ****zngiggles, they're in it for the money.

It'd be assuming he reached a pre-accord buyout with the organization. In exchange for the Sabres paying him the remainder of his contract in full during summer 2013, he gets an additional $5m for no good reason at all--actually $8m, because Years 8-10 are gone, and he already got the $3m for those years--and the Sabres get out from under any recapture implications if they made their way into the CBA. If Ehrhoff says no, the Sabres say fine, and he doesn't get the extra $8m.

I suppose this could violate the CBA. Some may argue that this is cap circumvention--it most definitely is. Second, there may be rules against re-signing your own compliance buyout. I'd hope the NHL could anticipate such moves happening, and have written rules prohibiting it from happening. Finally, it would probably violate any rules prohibiting teams from negotiating new contracts with more than one year remaining on them.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It'd be assuming he reached a pre-accord buyout with the organization. In exchange for the Sabres paying him the remainder of his contract in full during summer 2013, he gets an additional $5m for no good reason at all--actually $8m, because Years 8-10 are gone, and he already got the $3m for those years--and the Sabres get out from under any recapture implications if they made their way into the CBA. If Ehrhoff says no, the Sabres say fine, and he doesn't get the extra $8m.

I suppose this could violate the CBA. Some may argue that this is cap circumvention--it most definitely is. Second, there may be rules against re-signing your own compliance buyout. I'd hope the NHL could anticipate such moves happening, and have written rules prohibiting it from happening. Finally, it would probably violate any rules prohibiting teams from negotiating new contracts with more than one year remaining on them.

You are right Zip.

Per LeBrun:
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing."

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I heard there are no buyouts till next year ? 2013-14 season, is that right ?

"Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other."
(LeBrun)

I thought last time there was a 6 day window - or is that the NBA?

Interesting if they can buyout anytime during the summer (after free agency). I don't see the Sabres buying out Leino unless they get a forward they covet on July1 and/or he regresses even more this season.

Last edited:

heartsabres*

"Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other."
(LeBrun)

I thought last time there was a 6 day window - or is that the NBA?

Interesting if they can buyout anytime during the summer (after free agency). I don't see the Sabres buying out Leino unless they get a forward they covet on July1 and/or he regresses even more this season.

Loophole, sign Iginla to a two year deal at say $12,000,000. Tell the play you are going to buy him out after one year deal thus only taking a $6m cap hit and paying him 12m for the one year. Yes it is unlikely and will only work for next year.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
Loophole, sign Iginla to a two year deal at say $12,000,000. Tell the play you are going to buy him out after one year deal thus only taking a $6m cap hit and paying him 12m for the one year. Yes it is unlikely and will only work for next year.
There must be a condition in there saying you can only buy out players signed before the new CBA was approved. Easy fix.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I still want to see what Leino can do this season.

Exactly. 1/6th of his contract has been played. By the end of this shortened season, 1/3rd. After seeing what he can or can't do, we'll have a good handle on what to do with him instead of knee jerk shortsighted reactions.

Same.

Screaming fo him to be gone after one season is folly.

It makes sense to give him another year to show what he can do... After this season, however he is going to have to outplay Grigs, Armia & Zemgus to keep his job going forward... not impossible, but kinda unlikely.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It makes sense to give him another year to show what he can do... After this season, however he is going to have to outplay Grigs, Armia & Zemgus to keep his job going forward... not impossible, but kinda unlikely.

You're assuming an awful lot in thinking young inexperienced rookies will outplay an experienced NHLer. I'm not saying it will or won't happen. It's just a pretty inflated assumption.

If anything, the one player to hurt Leino's chances of coming back next season is Leino. Not a rookie.

It is quite possible, two or three of Armia, Grigs and Girgs won't even make the big club full time next season.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
You're assuming an awful lot in thinking young inexperienced rookies will outplay an experienced NHLer. I'm not saying it will or won't happen. It's just a pretty inflated assumption.

If anything, the one player to hurt Leino's chances of coming back next season is Leino. Not a rookie.

It is quite possible, two or three of Armia, Grigs and Girgs won't even make the big club full time next season.

Were you watching Ville Leino last year? Are you telling me Grigorenko, Joel or Girgs couldn't produce the same dismal results Ville did in 2011/2012? Not to mention they could do it at a fraction of the cap hit/price.

Should Leino return to his old form, then I will agree with you wholeheartedly, but a repeated down-year will cost him his roster spot to one of the aforementioned rookies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Were you watching Ville Leino last year? Are you telling me Grigorenko, Joel or Girgs couldn't produce the same dismal results Ville did in 2011/2012? Not to mention they could do it at a fraction of the cap hit/price.

Should Leino return to his old form, then I will agree with you wholeheartedly, but a repeated down-year will cost him his roster spot to one of the aforementioned rookies.

Thats why he said the following in his previous post

You're in agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad