If one player can be bought out...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's a terrible point.

Buyouts create dead cap space, under the current system, unless a contract is back loaded. Almost everything is front loaded these days.

Why anyone would want to create dead cap space is beyond me. That's the worst possible thing you could do.

With the cap compliance buyouts, there may not be the cap ramifications that exist today.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Leino would be a popular candidate. Are their penalties for Ehrhoff's contract length in this scenario or has that CBA point been scrapped?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Leino would be a popular candidate. Are their penalties for Ehrhoff's contract length in this scenario or has that CBA point been scrapped?

It's been pretty quiet regarding the recapture provision rules, if any. We'll have to wait and see.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He's staying, I can see Sabres trading for a bad contract and then buying it out with Terry's dough in exchange for picks.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Well, it's not just one but two compliance buyouts now.

That means they could buyout Leino if he sucks during what could essentially be a 48-50 game tryout and also take on a bad contract for picks with the intention of buying it out.
It'd be a good way to utilize Pegula's wealth before it becomes more neutralized.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Well, it's not just one but two compliance buyouts now.

That means they could buyout Leino if he sucks during what could essentially be a 48-50 game tryout and also take on a bad contract for picks with the intention of buying it out.
It'd be a good way to utilize Pegula's wealth before it becomes more neutralized.

It is only one per year though. They'd have one in each of the next two offseasons.

But yeah, agreed with all points above.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I would assume the Sabres will evaluate after seeing how players perform this shortened season and after projecting where their salary will be for the next five years. It may not be necessary to buy Leino out, particularly if he plays at least mediocre hockey. I could see them buying out smaller deals, such as McCormick's final year if he continues to be banged up and unable to play as physically as required.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
It is only one per year though. They'd have one in each of the next two offseasons.

I read somewhere that there'd be an option to use both this summer.
Not sure of the details of it though.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Throughout this process I heard it might be possible to trade cap space with other teams. Any update on this? Could we trade picks to a team for more CAP space if we found ourselves pressed against the CAP ceiling?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Throughout this process I heard it might be possible to trade cap space with other teams. Any update on this? Could we trade picks to a team for more CAP space if we found ourselves pressed against the CAP ceiling?

I don't think the Sabres will have any cap issues...even if they don't use buyouts. The cap can never go below 64.3, which is almost identical to what the Sabres have now (during the transition year where it's 70 million anyway). Next year Regehr, Leopold, and Pardy come off the books, freeing up plenty of space to wheel and deal (or resign as necessary). If they choose to go down the buyout route and take Leino off the books, then they're in really good shape.

It seems like Darcy and crew anticipated well and didn't go all out and hit 70 million this offseason. Now let's see if he makes moves between now and the puck drop.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think the Sabres will have any cap issues...even if they don't use buyouts. The cap can never go below 64.3, which is almost identical to what the Sabres have now (during the transition year where it's 70 million anyway). Next year Regehr, Leopold, and Pardy come off the books, freeing up plenty of space to wheel and deal (or resign as necessary). If they choose to go down the buyout route and take Leino off the books, then they're in really good shape.

It seems like Darcy and crew anticipated well and didn't go all out and hit 70 million this offseason. Now let's see if he makes moves between now and the puck drop.

I agree,

I was thinking more about maybe 5 years from now if we were pressed against the cap if this would be a potential option.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I don't think that's correct, but we'll find out very soon.

will you be able to buy out a player, and re-sign them?

I doubt it. I raised this as a possibility last week. I can't imagine the NHL is that stupid to leave open such a large loophole, especially if the recapture provision made it in.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I don't think that's correct, but we'll find out very soon.

I doubt it. I raised this as a possibility last week. I can't imagine the NHL is that stupid to leave open such a large loophole, especially if the recapture provision made it in.

I went back and read the TSN article. It says to be used this and next offseason. I think I just interpreted that to mean one per and not the other way around.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yep, and we have no choice, anyways, because teams can't start using the compliance buyouts until the offseason.

Oh, perfect then. Yeah he basically has this 50 game schedule or whatever to show us he deserves that money.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yep, and we have no choice, anyways, because teams can't start using the compliance buyouts until the offseason.

Yep.

It should be crazy next summer. I would imagine a decent amount of players (relative to last lockout) will be bought out (10 or so) so teams can get under the 64.5mil upper limit. Combine that with the regular UFA crop and let the offseason fun begin.

For a point of reference, the Sabres are just shy of 50mil in cap hits with 14 players signed for next season.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bleacher Report posted their most likely to be bought out:

Scott Gomez
Mike Cammalleri
Shawn Horcoff
Jay Bouwmeester
Ville Leino
Keith Ballard
Tuomo Ruutu
Alex Ovechkin (this is why I take nothing BR says seriously)
Roberto Luongo
Rick DiPietro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad