If one player can be bought out...

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
Should Leino return to his old form, then I will agree with you wholeheartedly, but a repeated down-year will cost him his roster spot to one of the aforementioned rookies.
Leino is 29 years old and he's had one good year in the NHL. I think it's much more likely that 2010-11 was the exception and what we saw last year was Ville Leino returning to his old form.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Leino is 29 years old and he's had one good year in the NHL. I think it's much more likely that 2010-11 was the exception and what we saw last year was Ville Leino returning to his old form.

His age is largely irrelevant. 2010-2011 was his first full season in the NHL, so I'm not sure how you can call that the exception.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Leino has played in 3 NHL seasons during which he's played for 3 NHL teams. I'm not getting my hopes up about him becoming a very good player, but there's no reason to think he's incapable of finding a useful role as a good player. If he played all of last season between Vanek and Pommers we wouldn't be having this conversation. That's not to say he wouldn't have been a disappointment, but I'm sure he'd have put up the requisite points.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
If we could sign Eric Fehr (who is currently UFA) I would be all for buy out Leino.

If we won't sign anyone /(what I expect) then I'd give Leino one last chance with Hodgson/Vanek on the top line. If he fails - put him onto the 4th line or send him into the press box or buy him out.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If we could sign Eric Fehr (who is currently UFA) I would be all for buy out Leino.

If we won't sign anyone /(what I expect) then I'd give Leino one last chance with Hodgson/Vanek on the top line. If he fails - put him onto the 4th line or send him into the press box or buy him out.

Eric Fehr is not a good replacement.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Bingo - I totally agree. And Bill Hoppe's article sums it up:

Ruff mentioned last week Leino could play center again. Right now, he’s not one of the Sabres’ top six forwards.

It’s easy to forget because he’s 29 years old and a proven playoff performer, but Leino’s played only two full NHL seasons. He enjoyed his 21-point 2010 postseason after playing sparingly during the regular season. He’s still a bit green.
Clearly, he’s a complimentary player – think about 18 goals and 45 points at his best – not a top center. The Sabres know that now. Leino’s had more than a year to figure out Ruff likes players who go to the net and shoot, not east-west puck carriers.

If Leino doesn’t improve and fit his talents to Ruff’s system, he could get bought out following the season.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/roster-battles-promise-to-make-sabres-camp-interesting/

What I'm curious to see is if Regier's reputation for not acknowledging mistakes of judgement cancels out the new CBA amnesty provision to buy Leino - or others - out. Pegula gushed over Leino when the signing happened so he too may not be willing to pull the plug on the experiment this summer, even if Leino has another poor campaign.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I don't think your agreement with punkrOx makes much sense if you agree with Hoppe.

punkrOx is arguing that the Leino we saw last season is who he is. That he dropped back to his NHL "norm" last season. Hoppe isn't saying that all. He's saying Leino isn't a #1 center. But that even though Leino is already a proven playoff performer he is still "green" as an NHLer and thats hard to remember because of his age and playoff success. In Hoppe's mind Leino is a 18g 45pts complimentary piece. None of that is arguing that Leino of last year is who he is. Nevermind the fact that its awfully tough to argue a NHL "norm" for Leino yet. Not enough data.

He ends by saying Leino needs to improve or he may get bought out. Well I think everyone, including Leino, would agree that he needs to improve.

What I'm curious to see is if Regier's reputation for not acknowledging mistakes of judgement cancels out the new CBA amnesty provision to buy Leino - or others - out. Pegula gushed over Leino when the signing happened so he too may not be willing to pull the plug on the experiment this summer, even if Leino has another poor campaign.

I'm curious what constitutes enough production from Leino for folks to not want to buy him out. Because many posters that rip him seem to think he has a ridiculously high cap hit. Its certainly overpayment for what he's done so far but its only 104th in the NHL. Tied with 20 other players for this season and obviously will go down as more players signe for next season. He also has his salary drop to 4mil or less for the next 4 season which is below his cap hit.

I certainly expect more from him but I fail to see the urgency many have with buying him out. We're not talking about a ridiculous contract like Gomez' or Redden's. Leino has the ability to play near the value of his deal unlike the other two, particularly if we make the playoffs and he plays well.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
James Mirtle‏@mirtle50m
"The NHL's buyout period begins 48 hours after the finals finish and ends at 5 p.m. on July 4, the day before free agency. Will be busy."

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
James Mirtle‏@mirtle50m
"The NHL's buyout period begins 48 hours after the finals finish and ends at 5 p.m. on July 4, the day before free agency. Will be busy."

Is that it forever after July 4th, or will there be another period next year?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Can someone who signs a contract this summer be bought out next summer? Just curious..

Yu could throw around some money as a billionaire knowing if they don't perform just buy em out!!

And it's two buyouts total? Over the two year, not two for each year correct?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Lieno should be bought out. He plays too soft. He doesnt score enough. He doesnt play the penalty kill.

They need NHL-level players on the roster next season. If you buy him out, do it next season. He's a decent player at worst, I want to see what he can do with a new system.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
No doubt, if anybody got bought out, it would be Leino. At $60 million for team, his hit is big for what be brings. I assume he gets 48 games to prove himself if there is a season.

Not happening this summer - Regier isn't giving up on Leino anytime soon:

There’s been talk that the Sabres would buy out Ville Leino. Leino has a procedure done after the season and is at the arena daily to rehab it. Regier said “At this point we do not plan on buying him out.â€

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Regier-says-trading-up-seems-unlikely/16640144

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
That's all fine. As long as we are not pressed against the cap, give it another year. But not at the cost of winning games, if he sucks by December I want him in the press box or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad