Speculation: IF one develops into Center, who would it be? (Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov)

IF one of these players develops into a center, who do you think it would be?

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Kaapo Kakko

• Vitali Kravtsov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Just play your good players in their positions of strength. We're a better lineup, deeper lineup with them on the W, and there's no need to shoehorn a kid into a position he's not used to playing.
Yeah, makes no sense shoehorning a kid into playing the Center position, especially if he doesn't like to play defense. Good/great centers play the ever-popular/ over used terminology of the 200 foot game.
I am of the mindset that, if a kid has that kind of talent he could. But it's imperative that he has full awareness of the ice, and is a good disher. Then it's just a matter of hard work becoming a better defensive player and learning the F.O. craft. Tough assignment, but surely can be done. I can't see why all three couldn't make the transition, not to say that they will, obviously the Rangers dont need to go that far. Personally, I don't want to add an Eichel or the likes. That would become cap hell. Add one like that, two will have to leave. Yes, I am the one that didn't want Rick Nash to be on our team.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
What’s everyone think now that everyone has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level?
I now feel even more strongly about Kravtsov as a center. He is an exceptional skater and is very aggressive defensively, shows more willingness to engage than Kakko or Laf

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Laf I could see because he'd really benefit from having the puck on his stick more often, his playmaking abilities may lend well to C. Still unlikely I'd say.

VK74 has plenty of experience at the position so much more likely, but I still see him as the classic Russian winger for the future.

Just lmao at Kakko playing center.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think I would still vote Lafreniere, but it's much closer between him and Kravtsov now. They intended to try him at centre at some point, but he clearly isn't ready for the added responsibility yet, so they probably put it on the backburner until next season.

And Kravtsov looks much, much more complete than he did last time he was here.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A much better place to play one of these guys if you wanted to experiment shifting them to the center position is Hartford. Just saying and I don’t think too many here are up for that.

To my mind a good center needs a 200’ game. Should be good enough defensively to be a regular penalty killer—needs to cover a lot of ice and be good at puck distribution and then there’s that awful business about face-offs. All of Kravtsov, Kakko and Laf would be starting from zero in some of these things hence the need to put them in Hartford for a spell.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Laf I could see because he'd really benefit from having the puck on his stick more often, his playmaking abilities may lend well to C. Still unlikely I'd say.

VK74 has plenty of experience at the position so much more likely, but I still see him as the classic Russian winger for the future.

Just lmao at Kakko playing center.

Kravtsov plenty of experience? 10 games in the last 4 years. 3 of those games he was absolutely abysmal, and in the WJC he wasn't bad but not really excelling either.

Unlike Kravtsov, Kakko played center against professionals and despite it being a small sample size (4-5 games), he looked better in that position.

I wouldn't move either of them to the middle but if I had to choose, it'd be Kakko

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I guess i am minority ,as i think any of the 3 would be successful in the middle.

But Kakko has begun to show great strength, skill and instincts along the wall,
moving him might open a gap that's tougher to fill

Krav has looked impressively NHL ready, his energy, his skating, his 2-way responsibility, his instincts.
Put him between Bread and Buch and let them bring him along

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Kravtsov plenty of experience? 10 games in the last 4 years. 3 of those games he was absolutely abysmal, and in the WJC he wasn't bad but not really excelling either.

Unlike Kravtsov, Kakko played center against professionals and despite it being a small sample size (4-5 games), he looked better in that position.

I wouldn't move either of them to the middle but if I had to choose, it'd be Kakko
Hmm I thought VK had more experience at C than just that tournament alone, my bad. I remember him missing on some great chances at the WJC too. With how well KK is along the boards now, I think he can excel at the half-wall game which I'd expect moreso from a winger. Agree that both should probably stay wingers though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have a strong opinion here, and that is that it’s Laf AINEC, in my opinion. ;)

Kravy, first of all, knowing what he can do, I wasn’t impressed with him at all in the WJC at center. Thought it was painful to see him there.

They should be working on FOs with Laf at practices...

Reactions: nyr2k2

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I have a strong opinion here, and that is that it’s Laf AINEC, in my opinion. ;)

Kravy, first of all, knowing what he can do, I wasn’t impressed with him at all in the WJC at center. Thought it was painful to see him there.

They should be working on FOs with Laf at practices...
Wasn’t kravtsov hurt in that tournament?

Reactions: Ola

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I f***ing seriously hate you right about now...
As the late, great George Harrison said:
this guitar knows it is better to love than to hate

and esp since @cwede merely invoke Boo's name.

Krav can play pivot and if Kappo LW and righty shot Panarin RW, that will help

Another line is
Kreider-Zib-LaF

Howden-Chytil-Gauthier

Lemiuex-Nieves-Gettinger checking line

trade Buch, Strome, Deangelo

Other possible variations on this theme, such as we wind up w/Nylander, in which case he would RD Zib line and LaF would take Howden's place and Howden would push Zib to 13.
But the above is what happens if we deal excess vets we don't want to pay for non F help

I was WAY WAY WAY ahead of the curve on
Kappo - Krav - Panarin
as I predicted, breadman + KK work well.

Revising the rest of the above,
Kreider-Zib-Blackwell [a stopgap for right now at RW]

then def
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
which has worked but needs more mins

4th line, checking and emerging kids

and bern, who is dissed as never right, called it:
trade Buch, Strome, Deangelo

but let's keep him out of the Trades thread b'c he stuck to his guns about Boo Nieves, who was still a worthwhile experiment at the time...

We should make a thread that chronicles every effing thing I say and go back and see how often I am right or wrong; and if/when I miss, to what degree.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Lafreniere has the highest offensive upside by a good margin and is the only one of the three that has true, elite potential when it comes to distributing the puck. I think he'd be the best offensively-oriented center of the bunch.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Just play with 12 wingers. Forfeit all faceoffs

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
In truth, even less
Boo is UFA, didnt get enough NHL games
Barron likely a wing
If Strome leaves. they'll replace him