Prospect Info: If Nylander remains a winger next year, how does our Center depth look?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's possible that Nylander may end up being our 2nd or 3rd line C next season. I think we can safely say that it's a healthy debate as whether he's a C or a Winger (with Matthews).

If Babs keeps Nylander on the wing then how does our prospect pool look in regards to replacing Bozak and Moore?

Our Centers can't look like:

Matthews
Kadri
?
Goat

Do we have anyone else in the system and should we be looking to trade for a 3C between now and Sept?

What do you think?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner and Nylander can both play center if needed.
A 3 C isn't to hard to pickup via Trade or UFA.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
We will evidently trade for a 3rd line centre or promote internally such as Komarov. He can potentially make the switch but I don't like the centre depth of Matthews, Kadri, komarov, and Gauthier at the end of the day. Looks weak to me.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner and Nylander can both play center if needed.
I cant see Marner being an NHL Centre for the foreseeable future.
YMMV.

Marner shouldn't be on a realistic C list.
Management has never said they were thinking of trying it.
Marner looks constantly gassed playing wing, let alone C.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The center position will need to be addressed this summer regardless of whether Willy plays there or not.

I also don't think the Goat is in the mix. He's not fast enough to play the very high speed game we're looking for and quite frankly, won't provide enough offense either.

Uncle Leo will be gone too. So he's not an option. And he doesn't like playing C.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs may be forced to use Marleau in the middle on the 3rd line if Babcock doesn't feel Nylander is strong enough defensively to handle the position. He certainly doesn't trust him presently, and doesn't really want Marleau at his age to take on that extra defensive responsibilities if he doesn't have to.

Hunter unfortunately loves to draft mostly wingers, so he is not providing those players internally and leaving big holes in the prospect pool at centre that would need to be filled via UFA or trade. If your scouting department is not even providing bottom 6 depth on ELC contracts to bottom fill your roster, one needs to ask if the scouts understand their responsibilities of "draft rebuild" and the objective of proving talent for the parent team through the draft. :shakehead

However how much sense does it make to let Bozak walk for free, and then spend similar $$ on the UFA market to replace him?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Longshot, but Tavares is the best bet to fast track Leafs to the next level. Without JT you will be relying heavily on Marner and Nylander to become difference makers. They are not this year.

11 34 29
12 91 16
24 43 28

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
From what we heard from management before Nylander should be playing centre; Matthews, Kadri, Nylander and Gauthier. Ideally you can get Tavares and leave Nylander on wing. Still have options like Thornton or Backlund. Moving Marleau might not be out of the question. Personally i prefer a long term option down the middle so i would move Nylander or go after Tavares. My plan B is Thornton on a 1 year deal.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
babcock clearly doesnt trust nylander defensively, so Im not sold on him being a center next year.

I think they'll bring in a 3rd line center via free agency or trade

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think one centre comes from within the organization (either Nylander or Aaltonen/Gauthier) and the other is acquired via trade or UFA. Quite possible though that the bigger splash is the acquired piece (Aaltonen as 4C and acquiring someone to be 2/3 C).

Just a matter of if an acquisition is short-term, meaning Nylander isn't a centre yet, or if it's a longer term piece, signifying that Nylander may not become a centre at all. I'm leaning towards the former at the moment as a Plan A.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's possible that Nylander may end up being our 2nd or 3rd line C next season. I think we can safely say that it's a healthy debate as whether he's a C or a Winger (with Matthews).

If Babs keeps Nylander on the wing then how does our prospect pool look in regards to replacing Bozak and Moore?

Our Centers can't look like:

Matthews
Kadri
?
Goat

Do we have anyone else in the system and should we be looking to trade for a 3C between now and Sept?

What do you think?
My feeling on this matter:
(Nylander at C)

Matthews
Kadri...Marner
Nylander...Brown
4C competition/UFA/trade

If Willy moves to C he essentially takes the Bozak role. It's also a good role to get him used to a full NHL season at center.

(Nylander not at C)
Matthews...Nylander
C...Marner
Kadri
4C competition/UFA/trade

This configuration will be tougher because we lack the center depth. We can't count on UFAs at the higher level of required production.

I prefer option 1 (Nylander at C). Move JVR for assets and pursue Simmonds as a UFA. He would be a compliment (IMO) to Matthews. Marleau can play with any of Matthews/Kadri/Nylander as required.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
personally I think if Nylander is staying at wing without ever getting an extended look as a center, that means that the brass feels like they have enough center options to warrant not splitting Matthews and Nylander up. Marleau as an internal option, and lots of other ways to acquire one.

Backlund is interesting, he'd be expensive but he'd save a considerable amount from Nylander's cap hit too by keeping him on the wing. Ideal shut down center that could let Kadri return to the offensive role that I think he's better suited for:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen-Backlund-Brown

that looks pretty dangerous to me

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs may be forced to use Marleau in the middle on the 3rd line if Babcock doesn't feel Nylander is strong enough defensively to handle the position. He certainly doesn't trust him presently, and doesn't really want Marleau at his age to take on that extra defensive responsibilities if he doesn't have to.

Hunter unfortunately loves to draft mostly wingers, so he is not providing those players internally and leaving big holes in the prospect pool at centre that would need to be filled via UFA or trade. If your scouting department is not even providing bottom 6 depth on ELC contracts to bottom fill your roster, one needs to ask if the scouts understand their responsibilities of "draft rebuild" and the objective of proving talent for the parent team through the draft. :shakehead

However how much sense does it make to let Bozak walk for free, and then spend similar $$ on the UFA market to replace him?

Are you honestly suggesting the scouts draft for position instead of BPA? Nevermind the fact Hunter has done three drafts, and took Marner (played C in junior but at the time he was seen as the highest potential available) Mathews (a center) and Lilly (a RD.. our biggest issue).

Nevermind the fact that Nylander is not the first to not play C by his age but later successfully move over there. He played AHL as a C for a year, so management clearly at least believes he can be a center.

Reactions: stickty111

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I like the idea of Willy moving to C and being able to control more of the game. It seems to be what he is best at. The only question will be his engagement in the defensive side of things. More than likely, he will have two responsible wingers such as Brown and someone else. I could see a top six something like this:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
A. Johnson - Nylander - Brown
4th line: Martin, Gauthier, Leivo, Soshnikov, UFA etc.

However, if the young guys do not take that next step forward, this is not going to be a playoff calibre team unless we upgrade on D and Freddie plays like a vezina candidate.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
However, if the young guys do not take that next step forward, this is not going to be a playoff calibre team unless we upgrade on D and Freddie plays like a vezina candidate.

This is probably one of the more important things we need to rely on. I think almost all stanley cup winners needed that extra depth from their internal promotions. The Pens seem to do it yearly without a fuss.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It would seem foolish to weaken our depth down the middle when we have a few wingers that are ready to make the jump to the NHL.

Assuming Bozak is gone, Nylander should move to centre. He is talented enough to drive his own line.

We have Kapanen and Leivo that are already capable of filling holes on the wings, and there might be a couple of others in training camp as well.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would prefer Eric Fehr as our 4th line centre for today. Best option that we have IMO. Can play a heavy responsible game in limited minutes.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Plan A: Sign Tavares

Plan B: Sign Thornton

Kidding aside Leafs have lots of options which could:
-Even include Bozak (at a discount)
-Signing a guy like Eller or Plekanec for a year
-Converting Nylander or putting Marleau back at center
-Trading a surplus winger like Kapanen, Johnsson if JVR is retained or dealing futures for a guy like Pageau

I'd stay away from Backlund. Guy is a good player in the peak of his career but a few team is going to regret giving him big money and term.

4th line center isn't a big concern. Gauthier + Aaltonen are two candidates. Moore or another UFA could be brought in on a cheap 1 year deal. I actually think Leo would do well in the role of 4th line center and he could be brought back on a team friendly deal.

With the evolution of the team Babs also should start playing our top players like Matthews & Kadri a few more minutes a game which will make the 3rd and 4th line C spots less important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad