Prospect Info: If Nylander remains a winger next year, how does our Center depth look?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
What I'm praying for next season

Leivo-Matthews-Marner (biggest issue of the MM pair was not enough good board play, Leivo is one of the best)
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen (Marleau who is suited to north-south speed game teaches Nylander the C game while having a W with chemistry - and top 10 league-wide speed)
Hyman-Kadri-Brown (IMO this should replicate the results of the line with Komarov last year)
Martin-Aaltonen-Johnsson (Need Johnsson & Aaltonen up, let them replace top 9 injuries & get Johnsson special teams minutes when possible)

Rielly-X
Dermott-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey *
Borgman-Carrick

*(Unsure if I want to hold onto Gardiner for another year for the LD depth but think he's not brought back after next season, same with Hainsey in regards to only 1 more season)

Andersen-Pickard/Sparks (Battle for backup in preseason and trade/waive the loser)

So that leaves a group of Komarov, Moore, JVR, Bozak, Polak, McBackup, and Soshnikov leaving and only 1 player needed to acquire. Personally think if you sold all 7 players at the TD, it definitely should bring back enough value in picks/prospects to acquire someone like Tanev to solidify our top pair at the draft/offseason and start truly contending in the next year, since no way are we coming out of our division that has 2 of the top 3 teams in the league in it who will likely be big buyers as well. Could maybe toss Johnsson in the trade as well depending on the quality of dman but personally would rather sell high on Brown over trading Johnsson to save assets as I think Johnsson should become a Brown-type player.

Our center depth with Willy is bad. Without him, it looks dreadful. Note that I'm talking about depth here, obviously Matthews and Kadri is a very good top two. But behind them there'd be nothing but guys who fight for the #4C spot.

Even with Willy as center, I'm not comfortable with our center depth.
Personally disagree. I think Aaltonen should be good enough to be a Bozak level C next year, so even with a Matthews injury, Nylander-Kadri-Aaltonen isn't the worst centre lineup. If another of the top 3 Cs get injured, then you could still put Marleau in their place and have one of the plenty kids waiting put on the wing.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I slightly disagree. If you have Willy playing as a C diligently (like we know he can), then a 1-2 punch of great offensive talents in Matthews and Nylander creates match-up problems, as well as having Kadri as the third C. You would then only need a decent 4C.

That would, ideally, be a heck of a 1-2-3 C line-up. And I think given that each can drive the play, it will naturally focus attention towards modifying our wings with the kind of grit we lack at the moment. Big IF on Nylander there. It's certainly no slight to Kadri who is a fine second-line centre. But in terms of contention and quality down the position, yeah...We begin to look a lot more dangerous rolling those three up the middle.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We will evidently trade for a 3rd line centre or promote internally such as Komarov. He can potentially make the switch but I don't like the centre depth of Matthews, Kadri, komarov, and Gauthier at the end of the day. Looks weak to me.

That would be smart. Komarov wont play center, either will Marleau unless injury. Bozak is the weakest part of this team. He is slow, doesnt skate, doesnt try to get the puck back. U can get far more from a 3rd line Center than what he brings. He has been terrible and will get eatin up in the playoffs.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
That would be smart. Komarov wont play center, either will Marleau unless injury. Bozak is the weakest part of this team. He is slow, doesnt skate, doesnt try to get the puck back. U can get far more from a 3rd line Center than what he brings. He has been terrible and will get eatin up in the playoffs.
Nominated for the least knowledgeable post ever made.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I slightly disagree. If you have Willy playing as a C diligently (like we know he can), then a 1-2 punch of great offensive talents in Matthews and Nylander creates match-up problems, as well as having Kadri as the third C. You would then only need a decent 4C.
In the normal lineup, yes. If any of the regular centers get injured, there's nothing.

Personally disagree. I think Aaltonen should be good enough to be a Bozak level C next year, so even with a Matthews injury, Nylander-Kadri-Aaltonen isn't the worst centre lineup. If another of the top 3 Cs get injured, then you could still put Marleau in their place and have one of the plenty kids waiting put on the wing.
I'm not that high on Aaltonen personally. I think he looks like a passenger mostly in AHL.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
But at the same time, this is his last chance to make a big money deal (like 4 or 5 mil over 4-5 years) And I’m not sure Leafs management would be willing to give him that type of deal.

I think he chases the money on another team (the smarter thing to do for him pov).

Yup, and that's why I think he should be priority #1 this offseason... if he takes a discount.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I see a lot of Bozak v.s. Kadri arguments here, but if either one of them was a true #2 center, then Tavares rumors don't rumble so strong.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I see a lot of Bozak v.s. Kadri arguments here, but if either one of them was a true #2 center, then Tavares rumors don't rumble so strong.

To be fair, the rumours always rumble when a big name Ontario-born player is a pending free agent.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Horrible. We need an upgrade on Bozak to become a perennial contender. Without this replacement, the Leafs are going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Horrible. We need an upgrade on Bozak to become a perennial contender. Without this replacement, the Leafs are going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

Fortunately it shouldn't be that hard to find an equivalent player or upgrade on Bozak considering our team needs on the defensive side of the game.

Even bringing in a guy like Plekanec or Eller would be an upgrade. They could at least be trusted to start in the defensive zone regularly unlike Bozak would free up Matthews + Kadri to start more in the offensive zone.

Signing someone like Plekanec or Eller is also a very last option we'd explore.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Huh?

Tavares is an elite franchise center?

Kadri is without a doubt a quality 2nd line center.

I think Kadri could be passed off as a 2nd line center, but he needs at least one winger who
can make their line-mates better. Because Kadri doesn't have the puck distribution skills
to be setting up wingers. His assist rate is lower then Dominic Moore and Matt Martin.
Traditionally you expect more out of a 2nd line center. But perhaps put with Marner and
Marleau, they can set up the center rather then have the center set-up by them?
Bozak is running a 70% higher assist rate then Kadri. If Bozak goes, what are the Leafs
going to do with wingers who aren't named Nylander or Marner? If you take Matthews,
Kadri, Moore, and Fehr, they have 31 assists combined. That sum just happens to be the
same amount as John Tavares alone. Brown might be a 20 goal scorer with Kadri, but with
Tavares, he might be a 30 goal scorer or better. It's not just what we can get out of the player,
but what we can get out of the entire line.

The Leafs will be buyers, not sellers. I can easily see the Leafs doing something like asking
Detroit if Zetterberg and Kronwall are available. And Detroit might just ask Zetterberg and
Kronwall if they want a chance to win the Cup with Babcock or retire a Redwing. If it was a
go on their end, you don't see Bozak going the other way. You see a 27-year old with no
clauses in his contract with four more years on it heading the other way with Jake Gartner
and a San Jose 2nd round pick previously acquire. I don't think the Leafs have any qualms
getting older players if they know the time-table of development can replace them.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Zetterberg and Kronwall are both 37-years-old - Why in the hell would we want them over Kadri, let alone adding Gardiner and a pick?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Oh man I hope not. I've been hoping for an upgrade for a few years now. They NEED an upgrade

I don't think that need is too bad anymore. Bozak makes a solid #3C on a team that uses an offensively oriented 3rd line.

If he comes back on a bit of a discount, I wouldn't say no. That said, if there's a better option out there for around the same money, I'm all ears!

Reactions: Intact

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I think Kadri could be passed off as a 2nd line center, but he needs at least one winger who
can make their line-mates better. Because Kadri doesn't have the puck distribution skills
to be setting up wingers. His assist rate is lower then Dominic Moore and Matt Martin.
Traditionally you expect more out of a 2nd line center. But perhaps put with Marner and
Marleau, they can set up the center rather then have the center set-up by them?
Bozak is running a 70% higher assist rate then Kadri. If Bozak goes, what are the Leafs
going to do with wingers who aren't named Nylander or Marner? If you take Matthews,
Kadri, Moore, and Fehr, they have 31 assists combined. That sum just happens to be the
same amount as John Tavares alone. Brown might be a 20 goal scorer with Kadri, but with
Tavares, he might be a 30 goal scorer or better. It's not just what we can get out of the player,
but what we can get out of the entire line.

The Leafs will be buyers, not sellers. I can easily see the Leafs doing something like asking
Detroit if Zetterberg and Kronwall are available. And Detroit might just ask Zetterberg and
Kronwall if they want a chance to win the Cup with Babcock or retire a Redwing. If it was a
go on their end, you don't see Bozak going the other way. You see a 27-year old with no
clauses in his contract with four more years on it heading the other way with Jake Gartner
and a San Jose 2nd round pick previously acquire. I don't think the Leafs have any qualms
getting older players if they know the time-table of development can replace them.

Tavares is an elite center who's in the conversation for the Hart trophy. Of course he'd make others around him better. What does that have to do with Kadri being a good 2nd line center?

Kadri and Bozak are utilized completely differently.

Bozak plays against weaker competition, starts in the offensive zone almost half the time (48%) and also gets to play with better offensive players in Marner + JVR. Despite all this his line still manages to be a negative player (-4).

Meanwhile Kadri plays tougher competition, starts in the offensive zone only about a quarter of the time (23%) and plays with weaker offensive players. Despite all this he still manages to be a positive player (+3) and have more points than Bozak (28 to 26).

Why are you so focused on assists? Goals count for just as much if not more then assists. Bozak also has 7 out of his 18 assists on the PP and I'd argue he's not a key cog on it. What's the problem if the trigger man is the center on a line?

Ideally Bozak could actually be trusted defensively which would free up both Matthews + Kadri to play more in the offensive zone but obviously that's not the case.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think it's very important to have a center that can use his wingers. Matthews, Kadri, etc... nobody is currently setting other players up.
It's fine if we can play Nylander and Marner with Matthews and Kadri respectively. But what about someone like Connor Brown?
What about JVR? These are guys that don't drive the play, they accept it. I don't care if it's Bozak or someone else. But the Leafs are
wasting a lot of potential offense from their wingers if they can't get the puck once they get themselves into scoring position. The
discussion being center depth? Well the lack of a playmaking center is going to hurt wingers.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I don't think that need is too bad anymore. Bozak makes a solid #3C on a team that uses an offensively oriented 3rd line.

If he comes back on a bit of a discount, I wouldn't say no. That said, if there's a better option out there for around the same money, I'm all ears!
I think the exact same thing, if Bozak takes less money there's a really solid chance he'll be back with the Leafs. I came into this season saying that its his spot to lose, and for the most part I think the same thing. He's playing better as of late and if he finishes strong, I think he'll be back. Lots of denial going on in this thread

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Just bringing this thread back up. He looked great playing centre especially with Marner.

Our centre position next season now looks to be:

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Goat / Aaltonen

This is not bad at all. Where do we put Marner?

Edit.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Just bringing this thread back up. He looked great playing centre especially with Marner.

Our centre position next season now looks to be:

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Goat / Aaltonen

This is not bad at all. Where do we put Marner?

Edit.
PASS

Hym/Matt/willi
Kappy/JT/Brown
Marl/Kadri/Marns
mart/Goat/leivo
:naughty:
and i just might live long enough to see a cup or at least a finals game:nod:

Reactions: Petrus

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If there is no chance at Tavares. And willy goes to c. I think we have to sign jvr.

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Marleau. Kadri. Brown
Jvr. Nylander. Kapanen
Johnson xxxxxxxx. Leivo

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
PASS

Hym/Matt/willi
Kappy/JT/Brown
Marl/Kadri/Marns
mart/Goat/leivo
:naughty:
and i just might live long enough to see a cup or at least a finals game:nod:

I would like nothing more to see JT here. Now that would just be unfair to the rest of the league.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I like Willie with Matthews. I see our top six as two pairs. Willy and Am34 and Kadri and Marner. So you have kapanen, brown and marleau to put on either line with one moving to a third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->